Heavy Broadheads

Do you guys know anyway to find spine with broadheads over 200 grains? I have some homemade heads that are around 270. I’m trying to see if there’s a formula or anything to predict the proper spine, or decide if I need to reduce them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Stu Miller's online calculator is a starting point. These glue on heads or screw in? If you told us your setup we could get you pretty close.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A.Hutch

FNG
The 3 rivers calculator works pretty good, But I personally prefer the Stu Miller calculator, it seems to be a bit more accurate/realistic without having to calibrate in the personal form factor. Although, at times it can be a little glitchy. but still a better calc. IMO

Hutch

The 3 rivers calculator works pretty good, But I personally prefer the Stu Miller calculator, it seems to be a bit more accurate/realistic without having to calibrate in the personal form factor. Although, at times it can be a little glitchy. but still a better calc. IMO

Hutch

I can't say for certain the math is exactly the same for both, but the 3Rivers calculator was developed by Stu.

A.Hutch

FNG
There ya go! guess maybe it's the formatting of the two i preferred. whatever gets it done I reckon(y)

Hutch

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I've always just started with a full length shaft and a matching weight field point, then cut down the shaft 1/2 or 1/4 inch at a time until I get good paper tune flight. Don't over think it. I think 3 Rivers and Kustom King still sell testing packs that would give you test arrows of different spines for the brand you want to shoot.

FWIW I'm shooting 275 up front out of a 55 lb recurve.

I've always just started with a full length shaft and a matching weight field point, then cut down the shaft 1/2 or 1/4 inch at a time until I get good paper tune flight. Don't over think it. I think 3 Rivers and Kustom King still sell testing packs that would give you test arrows of different spines for the brand you want to shoot.

This is the best way to do things. I never had any luck whatsoever with the spine calculators. It's easy to get full length shafts, put the insert and point weight you want on the front and trim till it bareshafts well. You can probably find some 275 grain field tips, or grind down some 300 grain tips till they weigh 275.

Alternatively, if your draw is too long to trim arrows, you can do what I do, and buy different spine arrows and play with point weight till you get a bareshaft that flies straight. It's definitely not as easy as trimming arrows.

OP
C
Thanks for the responses guys. Meant to get back to this sooner... it looks like with Stu miller you need a shaft spine to start with? This is for a bow I plan to build, generic reflex deflex around 45@26. Anyone have an idea of a spine I could start with? I guess I’m wondering if it would be easier to just trim these down or build new ones around 200 grains. Opinions?

OP
C

Where are you getting the 275 grain field point?

sneaky

"DADDY"
According to Stu's calculator, my arrows should be flying sideways. Calculators are a start, but nothing trumps shooting and testing for yourself. If you have a total point and insert weight you want to hit... say 300gr, then you can just use an aluminum insert with your head you have now. Figure the point and insert combo that gets you where you want to be. Stu says I should be shooting a 250 spine with a much lighter point weight out of both of my setups. 350s loaded up shoot like darts. Your mileage may vary. I also have very very little wiggle room in how much I can trim shafts because of my draw length. It's why certain manufacturers are not even usable for me because they don't sell shafts long enough to begin with.

sneaky

"DADDY"
275 I'm betting is a 200gr fp with a 75gr insert. He said 275 up front, not a 275gr point. Heck, could be a 175 with a 100 insert lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the responses guys. Meant to get back to this sooner... it looks like with Stu miller you need a shaft spine to start with? This is for a bow I plan to build, generic reflex deflex around 45@26. Anyone have an idea of a spine I could start with? I guess I’m wondering if it would be easier to just trim these down or build new ones around 200 grains. Opinions?
At your draw length I would start with a 400 spine on that calculator. Your arrow length is going to be extremely short compared to mine and I shoot 300gr up front on a 400 out of a 45lb bow at a 31" draw. My heavier recurve I shoot 300 up front out of a 55@31 on a 350 spine. Stu says neither works lol.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I made them. Started with a 160 gr glue on field point, added a couple drops of old lead solder in the nose, then epoxied a 100gr adapter in it. I've been shooting these for about 5 years and never had one fail.

OP
C
I made them. Started with a 160 gr glue on field point, added a couple drops of old lead solder in the nose, then epoxied a 100gr adapter in it. I've been shooting these for about 5 years and never had one fail.
That sounds pretty cool. Do you mind posting a pic? I don’t think I know what you mean by adapter

OP
C
At your draw length I would start with a 400 spine on that calculator. Your arrow length is going to be extremely short compared to mine and I shoot 300gr up front on a 400 out of a 45lb bow at a 31" draw. My heavier recurve I shoot 300 up front out of a 55@31 on a 350 spine. Stu says neither works lol.

Makes sense. my current setup doesn’t really jive with 3r spine chart. I’m trying to make this as difficult as possible lol. I want to make shafts and everything from scratch so I’m trying to establish some starting points. I might end up making a pile of shafts, spine them and get a few shafts to work towards something flying right.

Wrench

WKR
I would bet a 500 would be great on the short side and 400 on the long. I am sure i could get either to tune.

idahojtg

FNG
I am shooting 45# @ 27" with 335 up front (235 kodiak w/100 gr insert) and I am shooting gold tip 400's....If that helps any.