Heavy Broadheads

OP
C
Thanks for the input. I’m looking to do this on wood shafts; is anyone using a 200 plus field point on a wood shaft? If so, where are you getting them or are you rolling your own combos?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the input. I’m looking to do this on wood shafts; is anyone using a 200 plus field point on a wood shaft? If so, where are you getting them or are you rolling your own combos?
On wood? Then that's waaaaay different. I looked up recommendations for wood shafts on an almost full length shaft with a 175gr point for my setup at 55@31. I was going to have to go up to like a 90-95lb spine range. Whatever your spine comes out to for your bow weight at your draw, you go up a spine group for every 25gr of point weight over 125gr. You're going to need to call and talk to some of the shaft companies and get recommendations because you're going to be way above what most people are using for point weight with wood shafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
A test pack of wood shafts is what you need first, along with what you need shaft length to be BOP (back of point). You'll also need to know if your shelf is cut past center, to center, or not to center because those all play a part in determining spine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
With woods it can be done but in order to get a stiff enough shaft you will end up with a very heavy total arrow... probably north of 700 grains. I've done it with 225s I ended up with hickory shafts about 690 grains out of 50# self bow so not hi performance by any means. Shot fine but slowwww. Lighter tips make life easier and worked for eons. Either way have fun with it

Fjtoyman

FNG

Keep in mind that going that heavy on a wood shaft will put you 700+ on total mass weight. You would have to find a really light weight POC or Sitka Spruce .
Are you making your own bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Keep in mind that going that heavy on a wood shaft will put you 700+ on total mass weight. You would have to find a really light weight POC or Sitka Spruce .
Are you making your own bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I’m planning on a hybrid Osage with bamboo backing.

Fjtoyman

FNG
Self bows are very hard to predict spine for. The design and performance of the wood vary. Even from stave to stave I’ve seen dramatic differences in what spine will tune for each bow. Many self bow makers and shooters will make or buy an assortment of test arrows cut to their desired length to shoot our of their bows.
When your making your bow keep in mind that the more center cut your shelf is if any will affect your spine selection the most. Second only to draw weight. Arrow length, string material and tip weight also need to be factored in.
HTH

I've always just started with a full length shaft and a matching weight field point, then cut down the shaft 1/2 or 1/4 inch at a time until I get good paper tune flight. Don't over think it. I think 3 Rivers and Kustom King still sell testing packs that would give you test arrows of different spines for the brand you want to shoot.

FWIW I'm shooting 275 up front out of a 55 lb recurve.
they both do sell test kits, and 3 rivers sells fieldpoint test kits too.... with those 2 options, you're golden. i hate online calculators knowing darn well it's a broad starting point i will have to still shoot and cut/add/remove point weight, etc...

i skip the spine charts and go right to shooting... i start full length and light-ish point weight, after seeing a couple combos fly, you see the trend and can get stuff figured out quick.

shortcuts seem to do the opposite of what they are supposed to.... field point test kit and a couple spine sizes and things get sorted out pretty easily, and that process gives you a feel for future tuning. between compounds, recurves, and longbows, the only bow that i didn't get the spine range right (having a TAW in mind) was my morrison max 6 limbs on a DAS riser, that bow likes a stiff arrow.... crazy stiff for a recurve.