Heavy bullets in 30-06

Anyone out there loading heavy (200 gr+) bullets in the old '06? There's a few bullets out there I'm looking at, so if you like heavy '06 loads post em up along with your experience using them on anything from field mice to elephants.

I've used both 200 gr NPT and ELDX on game a fair amount. Reloading that heavy in the 30-06 can be tricky as few powders have the energy density you need. Most typical 30-06 powders will top out 2500-2550 or so.

Best powders for me (2600+ velocity) have been Ramshot Hunter, RL-17, and heavily compressed loads of H4831SC. The H4831SC was really safe, as I couldn't physically stuff enough in to get pressure signs, and it did 2650 fps or so from Norma brass. Hunter was accurate, but the speed would take a huge nosedive below freezing and I do a fair amount of winter hunting. For normal temp ranges, it's an easy powder to work with. I'm currently using RL-17 at about 2675 fps. It's somewhat temp sensitive, but not as bad as Hunter was.

The 200 NPT was ok, although it tended to drill holes with just moderate expansion. A better match to a .300 I think. The ELDX is much more violent in expansion and loses a lot of weight. Of the 7-8 I've put into game, I haven't recovered on yet... but I've found a lot of lead and copper fragments. It can get quite messy at closer ranges.

Game taken has included Sheep, Goat, and Moose. I'm planning on continuing with the 200 ELDX for next years season.

elkduds

WKR
Most factory 06s are barreled w twist rate) of 1 in 10, optimized for 150 to 180 gr bullets. Load development for heavier bullets in my '06 rem 721 concluded 190 gr accubonds were more accurate and had better ballistics @ longer range than 200s. Good luck. Curious why 200+?

OP
B
Thanks for the replies. I plan to use this rifle for large black bears, dark timber elk, and a potential Canadian moose hunt. Ironically it's also a Rem 721, but it just got back from being restocked and re-barreled to a 25" tube with a 1:9 twist. Should stabilize any 30 caliber bullet I want it to. I'm not looking to make a long range rig, rather I need an up close heavy hitter for big animals. The 200 Partition is one of my picks, as is the 190 Hornady (if I can find some).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like to load up 200g partitions with rl17. That’s pretty much my go to for my 06, that old shoots great in my gun so that really makes up about 90% of the loading I do for my 06.

the models book recommends 4831 for the 220g partition as well, I may try that out at some point but I really like the 200.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've used both 200 gr NPT and ELDX on game a fair amount. Reloading that heavy in the 30-06 can be tricky as few powders have the energy density you need. Most typical 30-06 powders will top out 2500-2550 or so.

Best powders for me (2600+ velocity) have been Ramshot Hunter, RL-17, and heavily compressed loads of H4831SC. The H4831SC was really safe, as I couldn't physically stuff enough in to get pressure signs, and it did 2650 fps or so from Norma brass. Hunter was accurate, but the speed would take a huge nosedive below freezing and I do a fair amount of winter hunting. For normal temp ranges, it's an easy powder to work with. I'm currently using RL-17 at about 2675 fps. It's somewhat temp sensitive, but not as bad as Hunter was.

The 200 NPT was ok, although it tended to drill holes with just moderate expansion. A better match to a .300 I think. The ELDX is much more violent in expansion and loses a lot of weight. Of the 7-8 I've put into game, I haven't recovered on yet... but I've found a lot of lead and copper fragments. It can get quite messy at closer ranges.

Game taken has included Sheep, Goat, and Moose. I'm planning on continuing with the 200 ELDX for next years season.

how much rl17 are you using with your 200g partitions?

Most factory 06s are barreled w twist rate) of 1 in 10, optimized for 150 to 180 gr bullets. Load development for heavier bullets in my '06 rem 721 concluded 190 gr accubonds were more accurate and had better ballistics @ longer range than 200s. Good luck. Curious why 200+?

1:10 is plenty for bullets 200 and heavier. Mine is an 1:11 and it works fine. I'm not sure 200's have a terribly strong reason to exist over 180's with that caliber, but they shoot fine and kill well. No reason NOT to use them, and so I do.

With a 25" barrel, I would expect to hit 2700 fps with RL-17 and likely others. For short to moderate ranges, I'd lean toward the NPT myself. It's hard to go wrong with that, and the penetration was always impressive.

Besides the animals mentioned above, I also used the NPT on a B&C Kodiak bear (as a follow up shot). Facing head on, the NPT penetrated the skull and traveled down spine. Found it in good shape under the skin by the shoulder. The ELDX would have been nothing but lead powder with a shot like that.

mt100gr.

WKR
Settled on around 2640 fps. Not quite MontanaMarine velocity he as getting from his short barrel 30-06 and RL-17 but its no slouch.
MontanaMarine has some pretty impressive 30-06 data and results.

I'd take 2600+ from that short of a rifle with that bullet. Thanks!

I used the 220 partition for a couple years, don't remember velocity for sure but seems like it was just short of 2500. Used them for black bears over a bait site. 50yds. Would easily break both shoulder on a big bear and shots behind the shoulder showed expansion but not too messy. Did shoot one one night that had already been hit just trying to knock it down....bear was pointed straight away about 20ft less elevation on a shelf below me, about 40 yrds . Aimed mid back and got two shots in him before he stopped. Both bullets followed the back straps up and exited one on each side of the neck. Was pretty weird with the shot angle that nothing made it to the vitals.

OP
B
Dragging this thread up 2 years later. I ended up using the 200 gr ELD-X at 2738 fps with RL17. It took me quite a while to get a load worked up, but the above load shoots about 5/8" groups. I shot a big black bear with it in September at 115 yds. It only made it about 20 yds. My son shot a cow elk with it at 353 yds about a week ago. Went down and didn't move again. Definitely not flashy or exciting like newer calibers, but this load is very effective on big animals so far. It hit the bear really hard and left a baseball sized exit. The elk was a pass through too, with lots of internal damage. The only challenge is dealing with recoil, the light rifle leaves plenty of recoil for my shoulder to absorb!

Rich M

WKR
Ive got a small pile of 200 or 220 gr nosler partitions my dad loaded up. He used to use em for taking down trees. Mostly conifirs, white pine or spruce.

Some of these were too big to hug. Bullets always went clear thru and trees would fall during the next “blow”.

Amazing what a 3006 can do.

RL22 and a 200 grain aerodynamic anything can be run at a good velocity with similar long range ballistics to a 180 grain aerodynamic anything and have more bullet weight when it arrives with a bit more energy.

With that said, I don't subscribe to bullet energy as the end-all with respect to the final word in on game performance. However bullet weight is a constant and I would take that with respect to bullets that are cup and core, bonded or partition type construction.

OP
B
I have a bunch of RL22, that sounds like a good option. It works well with heavier bullets in 280, should work well in '06 as well.
I don't subscribe to energy being extremely important, but rather a fuel for a bullet to perform as designed. A cup-n-core typically requires less energy to expand and cause trauma, higher energy levels should cause the trauma to increase on a given target. Good energy levels combined with good sectional density usually result in a long, wide wound channel and quick death. That's what I'm after.

Dragging this thread up 2 years later. I ended up using the 200 gr ELD-X at 2738 fps with RL17. It took me quite a while to get a load worked up, but the above load shoots about 5/8" groups. ......

The only challenge is dealing with recoil, the light rifle leaves plenty of recoil for my shoulder to absorb!
I have a couple more seasons now with a nearly identical load. Taken additional sheep, moose, and caribou with it since I posted earlier in the thread. Performance has continued to be consistent. Big bloody holes and pass throughs. I haven't recovered a bullet yet, but plenty of copper pieces around the wound channel.

It does kick hard for a 30-06 and I believe it's on the ragged edge of pressure to hit 2700 fps out of my barrel. I'd never notice the difference at 2650, and would have more margin. Will probably redevelop the load at some point with a different powder when my stock of RL-17 runs out.

Yk