Heavy duty vacuum seal bags

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve been using a vacuum sealer for years but it always disappoints me. The food saver Game Saver bags are the heaviest I’ve really ever found. The cabelas ones I got were junk. Does anyone make a truly heavy duty vacuum seal bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Yep, Food Saver makes some heavy duty bags and roll material that work well for meats with bone in. I buy it at Walmart.

Gutshotem

WKR
I'd like to hear of another alternative as well. I've had the foodsaver bags lose their seal just from being jostled around in the freezer and I never seal bone-in. When they're frozen solid it doesn't take much of a poke or bump with a sharp frozen corner to break a seal.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use the Cabelas bags until they changed them. I too was on the lookout for another option. I started using these a few years ago and have been happy so far. We go through quite a few bags every year and have been happy so far.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I used to use the Cabelas bags until they changed them. I too was on the lookout for another option. I started using these a few years ago and have been happy so far. We go through quite a few bags every year and have been happy so far.

Thanks, I might give those a try. I've been using the FoodSaver Gamesaver bags the last couple years and they are thicker than the Cabelas stuff or the regular FoodSaver material, but they will still puncture relatively easy.

Rich M

WKR
What are you trying to do? Meat? Dry goods? Survival stuff?

I use freezer ziplocks for ground and get 2 yrs or more out of them. Freezer wrap for roasts and such, also get 2+ years. We just finished our 2019 beef cow and started on 2020’s beef cow. Got venison from 2020 in there too.

Use vac seal mainly for fish and get 1+ year. Might get more but we eat it.

All meat is in frost free chest freezer.

Also use vac seal for “survival stuff” and clothes i want to stay dry for water-borne hunting trips. Its pretty tough IMO.

Not sure what your issue is.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
What are you trying to do? Meat? Dry goods? Survival stuff?

I use freezer ziplocks for ground and get 2 yrs or more out of them. Freezer wrap for roasts and such, also get 2+ years. We just finished our 2019 beef cow and started on 2020’s beef cow. Got venison from 2020 in there too.

Use vac seal mainly for fish and get 1+ year. Might get more but we eat it.

All meat is in frost free chest freezer.

Also use vac seal for “survival stuff” and clothes i want to stay dry for water-borne hunting trips. Its pretty tough IMO.

Not sure what your issue is.

Mainly just looking for more durable bags. Multi-purpose, but seem to always end up cussing because a bag lost its seal. Whether its jossling stuff around in the freezer, making dehydrated meals or jerky portions or snack portions for hunting meals, you name it. For the most part stuff seems to work, but just seems theres always a point where I say "Dammit, these bags need to be thicker"
For my dehydrated meals, I have actually started putting those into these mylar bags, along with an oxygen absorber, and storing them in the freezer until I need them. I actually like those mylar bags better, because they are pleated at the bottom and make a "bowl" for your meal, very similar to what the commerical meals come in. I am not vaccum sealing those however

Rich M

WKR
Mainly just looking for more durable bags. Multi-purpose, but seem to always end up cussing because a bag lost its seal. Whether its jossling stuff around in the freezer, making dehydrated meals or jerky portions or snack portions for hunting meals, you name it. For the most part stuff seems to work, but just seems theres always a point where I say "Dammit, these bags need to be thicker"
For my dehydrated meals, I have actually started putting those into these mylar bags, along with an oxygen absorber, and storing them in the freezer until I need them. I actually like those mylar bags better, because they are pleated at the bottom and make a "bowl" for your meal, very similar to what the commerical meals come in. I am not vaccum sealing those however
Gotcha. You have more specific uses it seems. Mylar sounds good!

I haven’t had any issues sealing the vac seal bags. Our unit is 10-15 yrs old and mainly sees use during summer months for fish.

If there is a particularly juicy fillet, i wipe the bag w paper towel and double seal it about 1/2 inch apart. That seems to help w getting a secure seal w wet or slimed plastic.

Have also used the sealer on straws - you can put salt and pepper, oil, etc. in a section of straw too. Can color code it too.

Hope you can find a better bag. We’ve only used the food saver brand bags and rolls.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Food saver here. I use to have some issues with bags not holding vac. I finally started putting a double seal on each end. Some of the problems may have been food product on sealing surface or moisture. I always tried to be careful but one never knows. anyhow double seal helps alot, even though it a pain in the ass. Better than losing meat or fish.

I thought about trying the heavy duty ones food saver makes but Costco started selling a box of Kirkland rolls way cheaper than the pack of food saver brand. Comes with more and costs less. Seems to be similar in durability and has a stack of premade bags like the food saver box that are quick and handy. Stuff that I’m worried about losing seal I just double bag which does take a little extra time but so far has been successful and cheaper than the heavy duty food saver rolls.

I use to have some issues with bags not holding vac. I finally started putting a double seal on each end./QUOTE]

I double seal mine as well. Even generic bags from Amazon have held up well with the double seal.

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve been using a vacuum sealer for years but it always disappoints me. The food saver Game Saver bags are the heaviest I’ve really ever found. The cabelas ones I got were junk. Does anyone make a truly heavy duty vacuum seal bag?

Next time your sealer goes bad, look at chamber vacs. Night and day difference.

Chamber vacs are way better but a vacuum bag still can lose its “seal”. Ultrasource sells all sizes and thickness from 3mil to 5mil. So does Bunzl/Koch, PrimeSource, Uline, etc. probably even LEM and Walton’s as well. Wrapping in a good freezer plastic first then vacuum sealing will work wonders for you.

Tod osier

WKR
Chamber vacs are way better but a vacuum bag still can lose its “seal”. Ultrasource sells all sizes and thickness from 3mil to 5mil. So does Bunzl/Koch, PrimeSource, Uline, etc. probably even LEM and Walton’s as well. Wrapping in a good freezer plastic first then vacuum sealing will work wonders for you.

The thing I like about a chamber vac is that even when the bag gets punctured (which is rare) the bag usually stays sealed to the meat because the bag is bonded (frozen) to the meat. Suck vac one tiny hole and often the whole bag comes loose, but a chamber vac it often stays good.

NB7

WKR
No, just make one seal then move bag slightly and repeat. do same after vac. seal. A little insurance.

I do this too, only takes a sec and adds that "insurance".
I've found this extra helpful especially when I reheat frozen vac-seal meals in a pot of hot water.