Heavy hauling DIY backpack project, thoughts about materials?

Spitfire

FNG
I've been thinking a while now about how fun it would be to make my own backpack. I'll be using it for mountain hunt where I'll be carrying out meat. So it will be a compromise between lightness and sturdiness. Also waterproof would be preferable. I'd need hear your guys thoughts about different materials and recommendations of what I could use.

I'd like to get input on:
  • Zippers (sturdy waterproof zippers?)
  • Main bag material
  • Side pockets material
  • Lid material
  • Frame
  • Lumbar pad foam type and material
  • Hip belt foam type and material
  • Shoulder harness foam type and material

What I've been thinking along materials is around 400 denier like X-Pac LiteSkin LS42 or Dynema DCHW which will give a good balance between durability and lightness.

I've been thinking of external frame. I am really more of a fan of external frames, they become broader, you get to spread the weight better and they can take alot of beating. The issue is the weight. I'm not sure if Titanium is a good option here, I have no experience if it can be bend in shape or how easy it is to weld. I'd thought I'd see if I was able to buy some pipes and bend and weld them.

I want broad hipbelt with the "new pull system" and a large supportive lumbarpad. I'd like pretty stiff foam that doesn't collapse all together under heavy load. Same for the shoulder harness. I've also been thinking if I should use like a thin plastic plate outside the foam of the belt to stiffen it up and make more "cuping" around the hips.

I'd like for the main bag to be accessible with zipper. I've been thinking of having the zippers in a "U"/"Horse shoe" so you can open the whole front of the mainbag and you get access to all of it (like seen on Gregory or Kuiu bags).

mtnhmr

FNG
Hi;

Sounds like you have put a considerable amount of time brainstorming what you need, or at least what it looks like on paper. I've bought into the higher end backpacks as many of the members here have, however when it comes down to customization I am leaning towards learning how to sew/stitch to satisfy that need.

I would suggest buying a frame and building a bag/pouches, and for me although weight is a tremendous factor, I recently found the option of using milspec (MOLLE/Heavy Duty) equipment with the addition of dynema components. Might be worth checking out the Pack Frames and Pad Sets from a DownEast Innovations (DoD Contractor) as well as SORD's Large Field Packs.

You most likely know of the the backpack manufactures and the market for high-end lightweight gear... when it comes to milspec equipment, the options are exponential with the numerous tactical and surplus providers. A few guys here have taken large dynema bags (i.e., Zpacks Airline) and attached them to pack frames to satisfy the need they are looking for.

Just some thoughts... all the best in the pursuing the perfect pack!

-MH

PS: OV Innovations has a nice list of Alice Pack Options

Last edited:
OP
S

Spitfire

FNG
Thanks for those links! Ineteresring stuff for sure 😊 I got a high end Kifaru backpack which has great carry system. So I'll be making a bag for it first then after that I'll have my go trying to make a frame.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
[*]Zippers (sturdy waterproof zippers?): YKK aquaguard are good water resistant zippers but they're definately more costly than coil and take more effort to open/close, a zipper flap over a regular coil zipper will shed moderate water but use what you'd like. For DIY OWF Fabrics & Hardware For Every Project has urethane zippers in #10 if you want that large. Rockywoods.com has it up to #8 along with regular coil zipper in multiple colors.

[*]Main bag material: You asked about xpac, rockywoods caries vx42 in black (note the rear color is white) and also that 330d multicam with a clear backing. In general xpac is a bit crinkly and stiffer if you're thinking 3d curves it might be more difficult. Typical 500d nylon is pretty tried true if you're looking for standard materials.

[*]Side pockets material / [*]Lid material: In general the fabric doesn't add alot of weight vs zippers/buckles, unless you're counting grams or going for stretch or more water resistance, etc. not much point in changing up IMHO.