Heavy Pack training

As the day I leave for my 10 day hunt draws closer I've really upped my heavy pack training. I'm walking 4 miles with a 150-175 lbs in my DT1 to prepare. Anybody else ramp up their training as the hunt draws closer?

cmeier117

WKR
Yes but not that much weight. I max out my T2 with about 125 in the pack. I try to tone it back come season time and go for 80 lbs and longer distance. I don't want to break my pack a week before the season!

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Yes......I do 45# squat lifts from the gound to mid chest height to simulate me loading a elk quarter into a llama pannier.

Sorry guys.......you can go back to being serious.

Ok seriously yeah I'm trying to drop as much fat as possible right now and add more HIIT cardio.....even though it sucks.

sk1

WKR
i wish.....i got really really sick and had to quit training for almost 2 weeks now, am finally better but my hunt starts in 4 days, just gonna have to wing it! I'll be fine as long as I don't do something stupid like pull a muscle

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Why on earth would anyone ever train up carrying that much weight? I know my body is not designed to carry that much and it will just cause it to break down that much faster practicing with that much on my back. I would rather carry a heavy load that is an animal and call it good, that only cause the wear and tear one time a year instead of multiple times.

ohhiitznik if you ever want to train up during Sept give me a call and you can come pack some moose quarters for me. :)

As the day I leave for my 10 day hunt draws closer I've really upped my heavy pack training. I'm walking 4 miles with a 150-175 lbs in my DT1 to prepare. Anybody else ramp up their training as the hunt draws closer?

good god! youre an animal!!! ive been doing my summer backpacking with 50-60lbs. 5mi hikes wih like 80 and short evening hikes, 2-3miles with 90-115. hope to keep bumping it up little by little til first week of sept then i will coast and just maintain til season opens

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man if this old man tried anything close to that I would end up at the chiro and my season would be done before it ever began! If there is a Beast Mode you have definately attained it!!!

OP
ohhiitznik
Why on earth would anyone ever train up carrying that much weight? I know my body is not designed to carry that much and it will just cause it to break down that much faster practicing with that much on my back. I would rather carry a heavy load that is an animal and call it good, that only cause the wear and tear one time a year instead of multiple times.

ohhiitznik if you ever want to train up during Sept give me a call and you can come pack some moose quarters for me. :)

I'm 260 lbs 6'4... 150-175 lbs on me is like you guys carrying 80-100. Besides, what good is all that strength I have if I don't use it!?

OP
ohhiitznik
I also figure if I can carry 175 around the hills in michigan, I can carry 100-120 in colorado. At least I'm trying to trick my body into thinking that. I use it for getting new 1RM weight. Put too much on, drop 20 lbs and then you think its really lighter and you just do it.

cmeier117

WKR
I also figure if I can carry 175 around the hills in michigan, I can carry 100-120 in colorado. At least I'm trying to trick my body into thinking that. I use it for getting new 1RM weight. Put too much on, drop 20 lbs and then you think its really lighter and you just do it.

Yes I see why you carry that amount of weight. I live in a very hilly part of Western Oregon and my streets are no flat at all. So I can get a good leg workout walking outside my front door. Way to push yourself! You are a big boy!