Heavy vs Light Binos and Image Steadiness

The new Zeiss SFLs have a lot of appeal for their lightweight but I’m wondering, would a lighter pair of binos magnify hand shake? I’ve found my heavier rifles and hunting bows result in a steadier sight picture. I’m curious if there is a trade off going with light binos and steadiness.

I’m considering the NL Pures or the SFLs and I’m thinking the NL Pures will have a steadier image. I’m going with 8x.

In general, for binoculars of the same magnification weight will be a factor in noticeable hand-shake but that’s only part of the story. Overall balance and handling characteristics also have a large influence. Just about anyone will hold a well-balanced binocular better than a front-heavy set, and that will be much more noticeable over longer sessions. Also, if the binoculars are just plain heavy and feel like a brick most won’t be able to hold them steady for very long.

Hand-shake is also much less noticeable in an 8x vs a 10 or 12x glass. You mentioned interest in the new Zeiss ZFL, which weighs about the same as my 8x42 MHGs. The Nikons are very light but very well balanced for a 42mm - an absolute joy to use in the field.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of the NL Pure’s handling - don’t like the waspy barrels or the hand position the design tries to force my hands into. Others may love this setup, but comparing them side-by-side to my SFs I noticed quite a bit more fatigue when handling the NL Pures for extended periods.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I went to a cabelas to buy the NL. Couldnt hold them steady. I like the idea but they didn’t work for me, and I’m not willing to take a $3k chance I’ll adjust. Tried a Leica Noctovid and was very impressed with the handling and clarity. Looks like I’m shopping for a newer pair of Swarovski on ELs 8.5x42 to replace my 2003 version.

10ringer

WKR
I think spiralhorn is spot on with geometry playing a big roll on steadiness. My zeiss conquest 8x32’s at 22oz hold steadier then my 28.5 oz slc 8x42’s.
When glassing for long periods the zeiss shine even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk