Heavyweight socks

Looking for some heavyweight over the calf socks. My toes get cold when sitting on the side of a mountain in the snow. When hiking they warm up nicely, but during the sit they are dry, but cold.

Thinking of trying a thicker sock. Currently have some kuiu ultra merino socks, first lite triad.

First lite has the zero cold socks, Duluth has some heavyweight socks.

Anyone have some good heavyweight OTC socks I should look at?

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have the zero cold weather otc sock from firstlite, hasn't been quite cold enough to try them out yet, but just from trying them on at home they seem like they will work well and are a good weight

Wrench

WKR
Thorlo mountaineering socks. You will never wear them out. I have a pair that's 20 years old in my rotation and it's tough to tell them from the newer ones.

When it’s real cold out, or there’s a ton of snow I switch to my smart wool expedition socks. I’ve got four pairs to ensure my feet stay warm.

Following as well..

I've been looking at the Darn Tough Hunter Extra Cushion, DT Mountaineering Extra Cushion, Smartwool PhD, Farm to Feet Hickory, FL Zeros, etc.. just haven't been able to pull the trigger on any of them yet.

Trial153

WKR
I have few sets of Filson Heavy weight wool socks for late winter ...I cant kill them i had them so long. They are warmest sock of usable thickness I that I have owned.
Smart wool made over the calf wader socks, think they came in two weights. They were very warm and comfortable however I would be lucky to get a season guiding out them..

Kenetrek Alaskan with Carhartt liners

Liners help dry your feet out. You get cold because the sweat on your feet gets cold.

When you stop unlace your boots and lightly tie them and let your boots breathe. I've found I can stay warm for quite some time glassing doing this. Especially when I have puffy pants or I have a good seal around my pant bottoms with say gaiters.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Or when you stop change your socks out, before I go to glass I'll put my other socks inside say my outter layer to warm them up. Then when I'm glassing I'll put my socks I was wearing inside my kifaru LPP front pocket to try and warm them up.

If it's sub say 10° out I bring booties, I have a pair of rabb booties and I'll change my socks out and throw those on.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mable300

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with a lot of above posts...Darn Tough over the calf, extra cushion is the cats meow. Paired with a good sock liner. Also when your glassing, especially for a while, unlace your boots or at least loosen them, that’s why your feet get cold.

OP
silverbullet555
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into some of those.

Sorry for being MIA. I wasn't getting notifications.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk