Heel Blisters in Stiff Boots - any solutions?

tdot

WKR
The problem with heel blisters is that there can be several different causes to them. Typically the heel pocket is either too big or too small or the ankle & forefoot aren't being held down well enough to prevent the lift. If you can find a good bootfitter, they can help you. Look for reputable ski shops, hiking shops or specialty shoe stores, even if they don't carry the brand you want, they can often fit your foot and give you some pointers on what to look for specific to your foot.

Typically stiff boots are utilized in soft conditions or with only a portion of the boot engaged at anyone time, so the flat sole doesn't cause problems. But if you are on hard ground, packed trails or roads, then even with a perfect fitting boot, you may not be able to make them work. One solution is a rockered sole, this will make a stiff boot + hard ground much more doable.

Compeed is an amazing product to prevent blisters or deal with them once you have them.

I went though this with both my Scarpa Zodiak Tech and Crispi Briksdal...my solution seems counter-intuitive. I think it's actually impossible to keep a heel from moving with a shank that doesn't flex. So instead of cranking them down so that heel is pressed hard into the cup (so it rubs more when it inevitably moves a little) I loosened my boots up, I tie them what I would consider snug but do not crank on them, about as tight as I'd tie a pair of running shoes. If lacing your boots in the cold hurts your hands, I'd argue you are pulling too hard, just my uneducated opinion.

Works for me, never so much as a hint of a hotspot in either boot since I changed lacing habits. I took my scarpas 7 miles round trip up to 14k on day 1 out of the box, crampons for half that, no rub.
This is a big one.

Ive found that my trail runners and soft boots slip just as bad as the stiffer boots, but because I don’t have them cranked down(or in the case of the trail runners, the area that it rubs on for me is cushioned) it tends to not blister.

Blisters only form when there’s excessive friction - if you can eliminate most of the hard friction you can at least cut down on the blisters if not prevent them entirely.

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Prolly not gonna like hearing this and I’m sure crispi would not recommend it, fill the boots up with water then put socks on and wear them all day on a Saturday doing yard work if you have one or just messin around, change your socks every Few hours. leave them out In the The sun on Sunday to dry putting them on every few hours. It’s a process but it works.

never fails to knock the new straight off them In a day.

Overall on the other comments - I tend to agree with stiff boots not being as necessary as we think. They are made for super technical work with crampons and other stuff. Ok the lacing comments, I've tried every way imaginable.

For now I'm sticking with softer boots or use a liner and leuko tape if I decide I have to do stiff ones.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
have you considered custom orthotics? i normally would be another one replying "you don't need stiff boots" but one of your early replied implied you were having some nerve pain, so changing something to correct that seems intuitive.

i have never had custom orthotics, and have no foot/ankle issues or heel issues until i try a stiff boot, and every one has caused me a lot of foot/ankle/heel pain..... if i started having nerve issues, i would probably make a call to someone who builds orthotics and see what advice they may have.... may be a better option than stiff boots for YOU

Franger

FNG
Keep coming back to this short thread as I transition from mountain biking to hiking to get ready for September. I get heel blisters from anything stiffer than a mid-top day-hiker it seems. And yes I know that operators don‘t wear mountaineering boots when they haul 60lbs of gear and ammo in the Hindu Kush. But they also train like the professional athletes they are. I don’t. Point being, stiffer (not the stiffest though) boots help pre and post-kill for elk where I hunt.

My favorite boots are Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX. They have some life left but I wanted to try a leather lined boot for September. I have sweaty feet and have heard that leather lining helps with moisture. Enter the Lowa Tibet LL. They fit great. But in the break-in process, I’ve been getting sweaty feet and my heels would blister.

This past week I read where some folks were ditching their liner socks when wearing the newest and best merino hiking socks from various companies. Then I read where some other folks had started backing off on the pressure they use when lacing up their boots.

Holy smokes, game changer. I did a fast 5 mile hike (90 minutes) with a 45 pound load in 75 degree weather yesterday. This is always a recipe for a hotspot at a minimum. And usually I have to stop and tape up or change to dry socks when I hike that fast in warm weather. But no hot spot. No hard pressure on the heel while uphilling. No measurable loss of support or foot dexterity by not lacing up super tight.

Your results may vary but this solution seems to hold some promise.

kcm2

WKR
Talk to lathrop and sons. You may need different boots but you can't be blistering the hell out of your feet.