Heel pain on right foot of Achilles Tendon

archp625

WKR
I bought a pair of Crispi Summit Boots last year about this time for an antelope hunt in Wyoming. Before the trip I bought some Super Feet green insoles to put in them. They have felt pretty good until yesterday. Sunday I did a short little 3 mile hike and yesterday I did a 1.5 mile hike. Yesterday my right achillies tendon starts to really bother me. Its like the boot is pressing into it. no blister but just pain. Once I take the boot off its fine. I put some moleskin on to see if that would help and it didnt. What would you recommend me do to help this pain out?

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I talked to Crispi. The said my foot may have changed or the insole broke down and i need a new insole. Very odd to me an insole would break down with 20 ish miles on them.

Birddog1

FNG
I don’t know how much you’ve worn them since you bought them, you Do mentioned wearing them Sunday and yesterday. Have you worn them regularly over that last year? If you have worn them fairly regularly, is it possible you aggravated your Achilles on Sunday? Maybe take a few days off wearing them and see how it feels. If you haven’t worn them regularly maybe your foot has changed somehow. I‘m new to the high end boots like Crispi but one thing I’ve realized just in the last week, wearing flip flops (between the toes kind) causes some kind of aggravation on my right foot that makes right foot hurt in the boot. I stopped wearing the flip flops and the issue stopped. It’s weird but its A big difference for me.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I think I have determined that I have Bursitis in my right heal. I have worn Danner Pronghorns up until this point . Do you think the boat with the stiff rand caused this issue and I need to go back to a pronghorn with a more flexible leather heal.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I think I have determined that I have Bursitis in my right heal. I have worn Danner Pronghorns up until this point . Do you think the boat with the stiff rand caused this issue and I need to go back to a pronghorn with a more flexible leather heal.

I actually had a similar issue last year with my Nevadas. I broke them in fine with the regular insole and then wanted to try an aftermarket insole. I wore them around the house and on a few short homes and walks and everything seemed great. About 10-15 miles into my antelope hunt I could barely walk from the pressure the boot was putting on my Achilles from the heal being raised up with the new insole. I pulled the insole and hiked back to camp where I had the originals with almost Instant relief. I have left the original insole in for the last 100-125 or so miles without that issue coming up again

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I actually had a similar issue last year with my Nevadas. I broke them in fine with the regular insole and then wanted to try an aftermarket insole. I wore them around the house and on a few short homes and walks and everything seemed great. About 10-15 miles into my antelope hunt I could barely walk from the pressure the boot was putting on my Achilles from the heal being raised up with the new insole. I pulled the insole and hiked back to camp where I had the originals with almost Instant relief. I have left the original insole in for the last 100-125 or so miles without that issue coming up again
I had super feet greens in them. The pain was so bad. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen. Went to REI and got some SOLE mediums no help. I may have to pull them out and go back to the factory insoles.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I had super feet greens in them. The pain was so bad. I have been icing and taking ibuprofen. Went to REI and got some SOLE mediums no help. I may have to pull them out and go back to the factory insoles.

Yea, mine was similar. I’m just not sure there is an insole that can cup the heel, provide arch support, and not raise the heel past where this specific boot pushes on my Achilles. Maybe a different boot that is more strait up and down at the heel would help but I don’t have the disposable income to try out multiple boots and multiple insoles. Wearing them around the house and on short hikes wasn’t enough to expose my issue. Since I put the original insoles back in, it has been smooth sailing. I would try that.

Wow man thats a good peice of info

dwelk

FNG
I have had the same problem over the years as well with my right achilles tendon/heel. I used to wear mendel boots which had a fairly straight and stiff heel. I had custom orthotics made which were great for my arches and balls of my feet but didn't help with my heel pain. I switched to Lowa Tibet GTX Hi boots and that made a huge improvement. These boots have a nice heel cup that prevents the back of my heel from sliding up and down especially going uphill.