Heel pain

dmjojump

FNG
Hello, I finally bought a quality pair of boots last year, lowa tibet. They fit great and I have not gotten any blisters, the only issue I am having is after a little ways into a hike the bottom of my heals start to hurt. I tried some heal supports but it didnt seem to help. I was just looking for some suggetions
Thanks
Josh

Curtis C

WKR
What insoles are you using? The ones that come with the boots may be OK but only for a short period of time. You need to get some insoles that provide support for your entire foot. I have been through lots of insoles and the ones that work best for me are the blue Soles. I do have one pair of boots that fit better with green Superfeet. lots of good feedback for the Lathrop insoles. They will be the next insoles I buy.

OP
dmjojump

dmjojump

FNG
I have the ones that came with the boots, they are not very old. I was going to look at some and try and get a quality pair that fits me. Thanks for the suggestions on some to look into.

Lawnboi

WKR
Insoles would help. I always suggest superfeet insoles. Oranges or green, I prefer oranges now.

The stock insoles on all those high end boots absolutely sucks.

Another thing.... the boots fit and are broken in. But if you havnt worn them for a while or your feet are used to being in cushy athletic shoes chances are that your feet are not broken into the boots. I get it if I don't wear my stiff soled boots for a period of time. First few miles are tough on the bottoms of my feet. But it gets better once I put more miles on, or break my feet into the boots

Curtis C

WKR
IMO the ones that come with the boot are only there to look good when at the store. If you get some that have good arch support your pain should go away or at least be reduced by quite a bit after a couple weeks of use. I have found that an arch supporting insole is far better than a soft cushy insole.

Lawnboi

WKR
IMO the ones that come with the boot are only there to look good when at the store. If you get some that have good arch support your pain should go away or at least be reduced by quite a bit after a couple weeks of use. I have found that an arch supporting insole is far better than a soft cushy insole.

X2, this is why I like superfeet, I like the arch support but even more I like the way the insole cups your heel. Like I said the oranges are by far my favorite but they do take up a bit of volume in my boots. The greens are good though too, just a little less cushion

Are you having any foot or heal pain in the morning, that first step when you get out of bed? Could be another issue not related to the boot.

Another Orange SF fan here.

NEhunter

WKR
Just put superfeet orange in my Lowa Tibets. I don't have too much time in them yet with the new insoles but they feel great so far.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of meindl perfekt hikers and i have the green and orange superfeet, i went back and forth from the stock cork perfekt insoles and both superfeet and i keep going back to the perfekt insoles, if your close to a cabelas you should go in and try a pair in your boots, i think they are $30.

OP
dmjojump

dmjojump

FNG
I dont have any pain in the morning. I wear boots at work, 12 hour shifts on concrete and I dont have heel pain, but I wear those boots alot. It only happens in my hunting boots. I have been told that they are harder to break in.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Good advice on insoles. Plenty of good ones out there. Of course there are custom orthodics, great but costly. "Sole" brand insoles work well for me - heat moldable so they get better as you wear them if you don't heat them in oven (which most stores advise you don't do). The best other insole I never read about on hunting/hiking forums are Powerstep Pinnacle. I got the first pair at my local high end running store. I suffer from plantar fasciitis and these are slightly more cushioned though still very supportive. I've bought several pairs of these as these work best for me. You can also find these on Amazon for around $20.

I've got a couple bags of failed insoles. Superfeet fall into that classification for me. Clearly many really like them, just a little hard for me. I've got a pair of the Meindle Perfekt footbeds and they just don't work for me - don't know why, they look like they'd be great.....and a fair price at $30ish.

I'm over pronated (flat feet) and a low volume narrow foot so take that into consideration. Spenco thinsoles (just a flat sorbothane - I think it's called) on top of one of the other insoles seems to fill the volume that my foot and sock connot.

Anyway those are my experiences. Take it for what it's worth.