Height and weight

6'4" usually 200 starting hunting season, ~190 at the end of the season
2 springs ago , I ruptured my quad tendon:
blown_knee.jpg
I was lucky to have surgery the next day.
At 61 years old, it took me nearly a full 2 years to get back to "normal" weight and fitness.

HDwild

WKR
This year I was at my heaviest (245) and it wasn't all muscle. I'm 6'1 and 245 was way too heavy. I was noticeably getting tired and feeling sorry for myself on the mountain. It was a good eye-opener tho so I'm on my way down with a goal of 215 by September

Im a newbie for archery, but for rifle I still try to get to 5'10'' 180 need to bulk up a little tho. Do any of you run? I am wanting to get into it now that my gym is shut down, but man Ill tell ya what I hate running! But I really need to start, its just that 1st week i dread.

RDG_RNR

FNG
5’10” - 170

mostly strength training and cardio in the offseason and switch to heavy pack and endurance training for the seasons

Rock-o

WKR
Wow, reading this thread made me feel like a fat@$$. I'm 6' 2" 245. Just a slightly big fellow, I'm not fat. My weight is evenly distributed - no big beer belly. I look decent.

WyoHnt300

Lil-Rokslider
6'5" and try to stay in the 190-195 range, shot for 200 a few years ago and couldn't maintain there. Inevitably, I end up in the low 180s by the end of September every year. It's always been tough to keep weight on when I'm going during any season.

Im a newbie for archery, but for rifle I still try to get to 5'10'' 180 need to bulk up a little tho. Do any of you run? I am wanting to get into it now that my gym is shut down, but man Ill tell ya what I hate running! But I really need to start, its just that 1st week i dread.

Just start small. Almost runners take too big of strides which is bad for the whole body. U want about 180 strides per minute (short and quick)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
Wow, reading this thread made me feel like a fat@$$. I'm 6' 2" 245. Just a slightly big fellow, I'm not fat. My weight is evenly distributed - no big beer belly. I look decent.

Sounds like you may have more muscular legs/glutes than the average guy. At 6'2" it would be easy to carry extra muscle/weight in your legs compared to the average guy who's shorter with thin legs. Think running back vs cornerback.

Last edited:

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve been trying for 30 years to put on pounds.... got up to 5000 calories per day and all I did was poop more. I’m 5’9” and try and go into elk season at 135 and come out of it above 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
6'2" and currently 261 this morning. Although im not fat, Im not lean either, I just carry a decent amount of muscle mass and as of lately Ive gained some body fat. My background is heavy lifting and strongman training which comes in handy for picking up and carrying moose quarters, but my endurance sucks going up hill lol. Im 43 now and need to honestly drop down to 220-225, thats where I feel my best. at 260+, although "strong", I feel like a water buffalo huffing up and down the mountains. I always get there, but damn

I'm in my mid forties feel like I'm at my best at a lean 165 lbs....5',9". I hit moderate weights most every day to keep strength up but I avoid going too heavy as I am cautious of injury. I'm around 173 lbs at the moment and with the draw results coming out for various states, am staring to ramp up for this fall!

I don't think you will get any answers like this. I noticed one guy is 6'5" and says he can't maintain 200lbs and usually lives around 180. Meaning he is trying to put mass on. Others who are 5'7 are 195 in great shape. Truth is everyone's body is very different. Some people carry a lot of lbs in there legs, butt, back, shoulders etc. Its not a easy ratio of height vs weight.

I am 6'4 and 240lbs right now with a 34 waist. I got some gravy I am working off right now (damn covid has me in the house eating Cheetos watching all these great Netflix series lol). But in my absolute best possible shape I am 220lbs and waist being down to like 32-30. I realistically want to get to 230 or less before my hunt this season though. For me to get under 200lbs I need to cut off a leg.

bsnedeker

WKR
Im 41 and at 6'2" fluctuate between 170 to 180 and feel best there. After elk season im usually in the 160 range. I recently started lifting and would like to put on some muscle to get up to around 190 during the off season, although I expect that will probably take me 2 to 3 years as I'm going really slowly.

Im a recovering fat guy and was at 245 at my heaviest. It was pretty eye opening when I started watching my diet and dropping weight. My original goal was to get down to 200 lbs thinking I would be lean at that weight... not even close! I agree with the post above though, everyone is different. I've never been athletic or lifted weights until now so my body doesn't have a lot of muscle. I don't consider myself weak, but I'm not particularly strong either. It seems my buddies that are in good shape and about the same height as me who played sports in high school are mostly around the 200 lbs mark so I think that plays a major factor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
For something like a sheep hunt, I would like to walk in around 245lb I think--but admittedly still figuring it out. In 2018 I was right about 235lb but lost 16 pounds during the hunt that I didn't have to lose. Did a body scan before and soon after, finding most of what I lost was muscle. I end up spending all fall/winter/spring building muscle to feel like I lose most of my efforts doing long treks throughout the summer and hunting season. Last year for sheep I was heavier, going in around 245lb, and managed my food intake better by packing more food. Felt stronger throughout the hunt than the year before--also likely because my partner was stronger as well.

Since then I also swapped up my training, working with a sadistic personal trainer (I think she really might be the devil) and made big gains all the way through the Covid shutdown. During that time, I put on a fair amount of additional muscle (much of which might be better described as regained) and was able to keep it while leaning down. Jump forward through Covid, and now like a few others, I seem to have found a little extra fluff through the down time. I don't feel bad about it, kept my eating as intended, just hard when I was used to hitting the gym 5-days a week to trying to sort some fashion of at home workouts that just never reached the same level of intensity.

So here I sit at 257lb. Cardio is still on point, tested it this weekend doing one of our most steep local mountain trails carrying extra camera gear and random stuff to add weight--3,700' climb in under 2-miles before ridge-lining further. Hoping I will roll into the first sheep hunt between 245 and 250. I will have 6 days off after my brother's and my hunt before going in to help my wife search for her sheep in the Tok Management Area. Have moose and a separate mountain goat hunt in the 4 weeks that follow sheep season--so we will see how I hold up. Getting older--will turn 47 the week before we head to Delta for wife's (she's silly lucky) bison permit.