Height comparison between Kifaru and MR Guidelight

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure someone has asked this before, but I couldn’t find anything on the search. Does anyone know the total height of the MR frame? I know Kifaru has different length frames, but I can’t find how tall the MR is in comparison.

Just for background to the question:
I am 5’8”, 170 with a 17” torso. So I definitely don’t need any of the super tall packs.

I hunt mainly walk in public land in MO and KS so I am looking for a pack system that will be able to carry in a hunting setup and still be usable for hunting in thick cover, but also be able to carry out a deer if needed.

I am also hoping to do some Elk hunting at some point so I want to get a good heavy hauler pack while I’m at it. I normally do a couple a backpacking trips each year, and would like to use this pack for that as well.

So I’ll probably end up getting a smaller daypack bag for normal hunting and a larger bag for backpacking. It’s killing me seeing all the combo Pack setups for sale on the classifieds while I’m waiting for my “newbie” week to be over, lol.

OP
K

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not set on just those 2 brands, but I will most likely be getting something off the classifieds unless I can find a killer deal on a new pack, and those two seem to have the most presence on the classifieds.

I used a medium MR Guide Light frame for a year then switched to a 24" Kifaru Duplex Hunter. I've since sold the MR so I can't measure its exact height, but from what I remember, the overall height of both frames was very similar. At your torso length, MR's sizing charts recommend a S/M Guide Light MT (current frame model) or XS/S Guide Light (previous model). The current generation Kifaru frames (Duplex Lite/Ultralight) come in 24" and 26", and some of the older frames were offered in 22"/24"/26". A 24" Kifaru would probably be ideal for your torso length. 22" might be okay but you'd sacrifice some ability to lift pack weight up off your shoulders.

Last edited:
OP
K

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Mighty Mouse, that is good info. From reading other guys posts I was thinking the 24” Kifaru would probably e about right for me, but I wasn’t sure how the Mystery Ranch frame would compare to that. I hunt pretty thick stuff a lot, so I don’t want the stays to be sticking up too much.

The new style MR frame is 21in main frame, 25in the top handle portion.. im 5'7 185, 17 in torso. And they advised me to go large/large

EmperorMA

WKR
Are you looking at the old MR Guide Light Frame or the new MR Guide Light MT frame?

OP
K

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
The New MT. It sounds like everyone really prefers it to the old suspension.