Helinox Chair vs..

ConradD

FNG
Hope this post is in the right spot, but I was wondering if anyone has tried the chairs on Amazon that are VERY similar to the Helinox? Some of them are pretty light (2lbs +\-) and half the price.. use would be long sessions behind glass after backpacking in. Appreciate any thoughts in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the backpacking chair from Sportsman's Warehouse. I bought one and it's pretty impressive for the price. Says it's under 2.5 pounds, but I've never weighed it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The only chair that has comparable weight to the chair zero is the REI version. It went on sale last year for $70. Compared to the 2lb versions, it’s not quite as stable...but for backpacking one pound weight savings is huge.

taybou

FNG
I was really happy with this travel joey (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00021TM9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for awhile, but I ended up going to the helinox to save a 1lb and a little bulk. The Travel Joey is more comfortable, and the fabric is definitely a little more durable, but the extra 1lb just isn't quite worth it. I found with the helinox when I'm sitting up in a more active glassing position, it's pretty comfortable, but as a lounging chair, it's not nearly as comfortable as others that weigh just a little more.

OP
C

ConradD

FNG
Thanks for the input guys! Ended up going with the chair zero, hard to argue with shaving off a pound

Some of the cheaper chairs cannot handle the same weight as the Helinox and/or sink into the ground. Weight & design differences come at a cost. I'm a big boy, Helinox hasn't let me down.

IMG_0827.JPG

Last edited:

Brusso89

FNG
I'm gonna try the Hillsound BTR stool this year. Seems pretty sturdy and light but no backrest like the Helinox.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I have the REI version weighs 22 ounces. I’d never pack a 2+ lb chair just to save 50 bucks plus the cheaper ones sag and will break a lot easier I’ve read.

I picked up two of the Moon Lence brand chairs on Amazon two years ago for $35. I have used them a lot car camping, kids sporting events, and around the fire pit in the backyard.

I am 6’2” and about 210lbs. Between me and 3 kids ages 10, 12, & 14 who break everything, they are still going strong. They are not being used gently. Have not bent or broken any poles, shock cords, or fabric.

On my scale they are a shade under 2 lbs including the carrying case. Don’t know if I will ever include any chair on a backpack hunt but I am impressed with the cost/durability/weight combination on these. They would be a great glassing chair and a big upgrade over a buttpad leaning against a rock.
I have never used the Helionix so I can’t do a direct comparison on them.

f71976555fc35e78921600dc72df79ee.jpg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Years ago I bought 3 stools thinking they would be great do to packing down small and being lightweight. Like Bruce said-wow they are NOT comfortable! Can’t put full weight down, can’t lean back, and for a guy, their isn’t a good spot comfort wise.....
The helinox is one item where I ponied up the extra $$ bc it’s worth it.

ROCK4185

FNG
My buddies and I all have the Moon Lence chairs from Amazon that timberplains posted and have not broken one yet.

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
We have had 2 of these for 2+ years now. They have performed surprisingly well for the price. No complaints at all. Keep in mind I am 165 lbs. I would definitely buy them again. Can’t beat the price.

cbeard64

WKR
For real weight savings and good comfort the Slingback chair that weighs only ounces and uses your trekking poles worked pretty well on my Dall sheep hunt.

Attachments

• 75D0F1BA-6A0B-4853-8CB2-B133C0A27A4D.jpeg
    75D0F1BA-6A0B-4853-8CB2-B133C0A27A4D.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 96

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one of these a couple years ago. Very comfy. I took it to CO last year and it was quite nice to have somewhere other than to ground to sit at night and early mornings.

I just bought one of the Helinox Sunset chairs and that one is awesome. Higher back and higher off the ground. Too heavy for backpacking but otherwise great.

hbc07

FNG
I've got a Helinox Chair Zero and an REI Flexlite Air being delivered this weekend to test out for a 3 night backpacking trip. I'll have to report back on how the two of them work out.

My $0.02.

I have the helinox. It works fine and holds my 250# well.

TBH it doesn’t make the cut very often when weight is an issue. Nothing specific to the helinox but it seems to start out in the “maybe” pile and never makes it into the pack when I start making weight-based decisions. For car camping I tend to use other, heavier folders so it is in this weird place in my gear line up for when I am backpacking but less concerned about weight, which isn’t all that often honestly.