Helinox Chair Zero vs. REI Flex-Lite

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone used both and what was your preference? I sat on both of them at REI and thought the Flex-Lite was a bit more comfortable. It also felt more solid and sat up a bit taller, which I liked even though I'm not a tall guy by any stretch. It was, however, noticeably heavier (10oz per REI's website). And it's cheaper...

Primary purpose will be for long glassing sessions, but it will also be hauled in quite a ways as well.

What does everyone use for glassing?

It's too bad they discontinued the Chair One as it's roughly the same weight as the REI and was more sturdy and about an inch wider.

I personally use the camp chair as I am tall and it's worth the extra pound for me.

colonel00

WKR
I don't have a Chair Zero but I have a Chair One and one of the REI chairs (the older one where the legs/base were the same as the Chair One). The Chair One is lighter by a few ounces if I recall. Other than that, I think they are about the same. I've sat in the Chair Zero at a store and did think it was a bit smaller and a bit lower to the ground. It also seemed like it dipped in the front a little which changed the way you sat in it. I've debated the Chair Zero for its weight savings but I don't know that I'd like it as much.

All that said, I scored an Alite Mayfly (I think is the name) on a deep discount at REI last year. Its like the Helinox Ground Chair. I almost like those chairs more as they don't sink into the ground and are lighter by nature since they have fewer metal parts.

My biggest thing is that even with the "taller" Chair One or the REI chair, I still almost have to crawl in and out of it (old joints and fat belly mods) so it's just as much to get in and out of the ground chairs. Plus, the ground chairs fit easier into shelters if you have to ride out some weather.

Picked up a couple of the Helinox Ground Chairs last year. I think they are awesome, and I'm 6'3". Works great for glassing off a tripod or resting bino's on top of a trekking pole. These chairs are around 16 oz. The base doesn't sink at all.

hcS2LDG.jpg

This little video Camp Chair: Alite Mantis vs REI Flexlite TEST - YouTube may not exactly what you ask but they put the REI chair through some punishment. Will let you see how it faired =-)

The talk about wind blowing the chair away reminded me of the time when the wind blew mine into the fire when I was 20-25 yards away at my tent. By the time I ran over there it took a good 5 sec or so (I'm not exactly the fastest guy, but I did hurdle some logs to get over there). I was surprised to find only a minor singe in the mesh that was less damage than the spark holes I already had in the chair.

My biggest thing is that even with the "taller" Chair One or the REI chair, I still almost have to crawl in and out of it (old joints and fat belly mods) so it's just as much to get in and out of the ground chairs. Plus, the ground chairs fit easier into shelters if you have to ride out some weather.

The Camp Chair is far worth the extra weight for the additional height for me at least. However a minor sacrifice is the bar across the back does make it slightly less comfortable to sit in.

dotman

WKR
I have a chair one and zero, I'll have the zero in my pack over the one as it is ok but at 17oz drops enough weight to justify it. I don't mind the zero at all.

CDNPO

FNG
I run that a-lite Mantis chair the "survived" in that video. It's low, so getting in and out with stiff legs is a chore, but once you are in it, it's really comfy. In fact, I slept in it with a quilt around me one time when I couldn't find the hole to patch in my pad.

But it's low and lays back a bit. If glassing, I would definitely grab the flex lite, my buddy runs one and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodney482

WKR
Love my Helinox but I bought 4 knockoffs from Amazon that are almost identical for a fraction of the cost

We have two of those Amazon knockoffs and have yet to break one.
I can't believe how cheap they've gotten in the last year.

Hall256

WKR
Depends on the trip but I have the Helinox for camo and it works great. If it's just a short trip or I know I will be moving a lot, I will also take my Crazy Creek folding chair...its nothing fancy, but it's a good chair for the weight and easy to set up quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FYI........ I tried to save some weight last year and bought the helinox one mini. It seemed really sturdy in the store, but it broke the first glassing session. I'm 175lbs.

What are the amazon knockoffs called?

dotman

WKR
FYI........ I tried to save some weight last year and bought the helinox one mini. It seemed really sturdy in the store, but it broke the first glassing session. I'm 175lbs.

Haha, that is a kids chair and probably designed for 125lbs or something. I almost did the same thing but am glad I didn't.

I was at an REI yesterday and sat on all these chairs. While I don't have a strong opinion on the Helinox vs REI brands, I can say my several year old Helinox original is still perfect and has never let me down.

I took a good long sit in the Helinox Swivel Chair and was completely impressed with it. 100% as stable as my current chair and the swivel works flawlessly. I'm seriously considering it.

Hall256

WKR

Not sure if they are the knock noffs....but Amazon has a brand called Trek Ultra, the chair is 2.6lbs and sells for $60.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk