helinox cots

Deadfall

WKR
Any serious backpackers out there using a helinox cot for extended hunts? I have not used a cot for my packpack hunts Seriously considering it. Found some places to hunt that I want to spend a couple weeks in. These places are a journey to get too. Want to set a camp and live decent on these hunts. Planning on 2 trips for setting camp. I run a Kifaru tipi with stove. Definitely wider then 24 inches. Standard length is fine.

Anyway, was wondering if the helinox cots are worth the money? Or something comparable you prefer? I am not interrested in anything from cabelas. Full size cots will not work for what I'm up to.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes helinox cots work great, but I think it's worth the money savings to look into other companies. Hell Walmart just came out with one that is in their Ozark trail line I think (don't quote me on that I just saw it on the shelf in Walmart) and it's a fraction of the price and not much heavier than the helinox.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
There might be knock-off brands just as good but if there are I do not know. FWIW I've used a Helinox cot now for several years and won't go back to other options. If you're staying for an extended period of time then a comfortable good night's sleep is worth a lot.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Helinox is the way to go, love mine. I don’t pack it in often but use it a lot, sleep like I do at home. Price was hard to swallow but haven’t regretted it. If you wait you can get it on moosejaw for 20% off or join their rewards and wait for the 30% back promotion.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
On a similar thread someone suggested “marchaway cot” on Amazon. I really like them in my Cimarron but I don’t hike with it. Easy to set up after a practice run and the low profile is nice in a pyramid shelter. Not sure the weight vs helinox, but if you’re doing 2 trips might not be a big deal.

My wife and I have two of them, similar to the one at the link below. I used it on my truck camp elk hunt this year, but we have also used them on backpacking trips. They're pretty comfortable, but if counting ounces, I'll leave it behind.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Helinox is the way to go, love mine. I don’t pack it in often but use it a lot, sleep like I do at home. Price was hard to swallow but haven’t regretted it. If you wait you can get it on moosejaw for 20% off or join their rewards and wait for the 30% back promotion.
Thanks. Will look into that

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I have the thermarest version. Love it, and especially if you're teepee camping. Also gives you a little storage room when you're sharing floor space. When I go solo and the weather is nicer, I prefer the hammock. I have nothing against helinox, I have one of their chairs, thermarest was available when I needed one.

I wouldn't go hunting without my cot one.....

IMG_0129.JPG

I bought a desert walker (Amazon)after missing a couple sales and trying to save some cash. It’s a knockoff of the helinox and I’d say it performed as good as my buddys helinox. After comparing it’s basically identical besides a little different fabric (helinox was more slipper) Same weights and size. Im not sure how long it’ll last but it lasted the 12 or so nights I used it.

jmez

WKR
I used one on one trip. Haven't packed it since. I don't think it is worth it. Still have to put a pad on top of it. Didn't make any difference in comfort for me.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
My main hunting buddy has one and uses it occasionally. Hes a cold sleeper and it doesnt help that issue. I was having the best nights sleep of my woods life on my exped, and I was woken up to him calling the wood stove a “dirty whore” lol. Got cold and couldnt get a fire lit.

I always wondered, for the weight, why someone wouldnt just bring a thick self inflating type pad with the foam inside? That has to be extremely comfy and much warmer. Just my thoughts, and would weigh less than a pad and cot.

tdhanses

WKR
I bought a desert walker (Amazon)after missing a couple sales and trying to save some cash. It’s a knockoff of the helinox and I’d say it performed as good as my buddys helinox. After comparing it’s basically identical besides a little different fabric (helinox was more slipper) Same weights and size. Im not sure how long it’ll last but it lasted the 12 or so nights I used it.
My buddy bought one of these and the legs would stay secure a d it fell down constantly to where he stopped using it, it was hilarious, he was able to buy the helinox legs direct and now it works great for him.

tdhanses

WKR
I used one on one trip. Haven't packed it since. I don't think it is worth it. Still have to put a pad on top of it. Didn't make any difference in comfort for me.

I only use a pad when it’s under 30* otherwise i haven’t needed a pad with it, i should of tried it in single digits just to see how cold it would get.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Sleep on full size cot with pad, when guiding. Some years it's well below zero Sleeps good, recon little cot be the same

jmez

WKR
I use the pad because it's not comfortable without one. Cold hasn't been an issue.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I use the pad because it's not comfortable without one. Cold hasn't been an issue.

Ah, yeah can't say I've ever slept on a comfortable cot either...lol