hell holes

Deadfall

WKR
Yall ever go hunt new country and find extremely exceptional bulls in a hell hole. Back off, better prepare and then go hunt them the next year. Found more then one hole like that this year. I was not prepared to pack out a animal that far in those conditions. So this year I spent watching and learning how they travel, where they like and don't like. hunter pressure. Writing down wind, conditions and dates. Making all kinds of scribbles on my onx. Deal like this I find water to be most critical thing. Since it would take me a few days to pack I need the ability to submerge the meat, fence it off (electric) and start making runs.
One of these holes I found a bull and decided to play on him. Called in a old old bear that also decided to take a run at that bull. Came by me at 40 yards full run. Hardly made a sound. Pretty sure the only reason bear did not run at me is because I was at the point where I had shut up and made my final move. Another critical preparation for grizzly country. Since hanging meat 2 feet off the ground won't work. why I prefer electric fence.

So with freezer season winding down, I already find myself preparing for september. Which much to my wifes annoyance will continue for the rest of my life.

Anyhow, it was a great year. still 3 days of mule deer hunting left to do.

Does anyone else go through this? For you loner guys like me, is there ever a scenerio where you bring others to help pack?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Sounds like you found a honey hole worth figuring out!

Always good to have trusted friends on speed dial to assist in the hard work if necessary.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Found a spot like that this year. Decided no elk was worth having to eat down there. Went and found a new spot.

Have to be rational about limits in shitty places. And bringing someone along to carry heavy stuff out of those places can ruin a friendship.

Always great to have something to look forward to.
Any potential to pack it out part way and hire a packer for the rest?

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Always great to have something to look forward to.
Any potential to pack it out part way and hire a packer for the rest?
I just wasn't prepared to pack that far by myself. Didn't know the areas well enough to chance it. I know them pretty well now.
Looking forward to next year already. Changing some gear.
Been a long time since I've gone that far in a backpack

Marble

WKR
Have a spot like that. The solution is 1 tag holder + 3 other strong dudes.
This is my thoughts too.

We are planning a trip that has one of, if not the highest densities of grizzly. For whatever reason, they have moved into this basin and are flourishing. But the bucks there are insane.

We will go for mule deer, 1 tag, 3 dudes. We may have two tags but will only shoot one at a time. The guy that found the spot already lost one buck to a grizzly and shot another defending it/himself. The biologist advised us to never go there again.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I just wasn't prepared to pack that far by myself. Didn't know the areas well enough to chance it. I know them pretty well now.
Looking forward to next year already. Changing some gear.
Been a long time since I've gone that far in a backpack
Well if you have time to go back in and Plan a route out for meat packing, ive found that helpful. I do that often when walking out an area so that I can plan a path I can my ride my horse in on. Or lead it in if needed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Found a spot like that and we couldn’t figure how to get there with the wind in our favor. I’ll be thinking about it every day until next year. 😁
It's impossible. I hunt a spot like that and it swirls and changes CONSTANTLY. It is full of 300+" bulls though and the rub lines will put a smile on your face like a new ferrari in your driveway.

Moving very slow is the only thing we have ever found to work. Packing them out IS HORRIBLE. 35lb packs, throwing them over deadfall, for a few hours to get to the "trail".

My best post-rut bull elk spot is similar to what you describe. It's impossible to pack out going uphill and the most logical way out going downhill - which also sucks - runs right into huge tracts of private after 5 miles of slugging it out through miserable downfall. I was able to figure out a creative route in using pack animals but it's not a place I hunt every year just simply because I can find Elk in much easier to access places closer to home. It's basically a slam dunk but takes a ton of extra planning, a day and half to get in, a day and a half to get out and the weather can present a logistical hurdle as well due to the soil type combined with the steepness of the route being dangerous for the pack animals to navigate when wet. When my schedule and the weather are perfect though, I can go back in there and get an Elk. I don't have to deal with grizzlies though...

...Keep that spot to yourself at all costs. Pack animals don't talk. 😎

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
One of my best spots is exactly what you are describing. It took me a season just to figure out how to access and move around there. Since I have, it has produced consistently. I just mentally prepare for a terrible pack out (usually solo) and keep and eye on the weather to make sure a heat wave isn’t coming up. I’ve got a few more marked on my map I still haven’t figured out, but will get around to it one day.
If it’s bad enough you could get one of your less dedicated hunting friends to help out. Once they see what’s all involved, they probably wouldn’t want to go back even if you paid them 😂

It's impossible. I hunt a spot like that and it swirls and changes CONSTANTLY. It is full of 300+" bulls though and the rub lines will put a smile on your face like a new ferrari in your driveway.

Moving very slow is the only thing we have ever found to work. Packing them out IS HORRIBLE. 35lb packs, throwing them over deadfall, for a few hours to get to the "trail".

this spot has to be killer too, it’s wayyyyy up a drainage, complete with 2000 ft elevation gain, a Boulder field to hop across, and a slot canyon to get lost in. And that just gets you to the front door….

Gotta be something wrong with me, but I have to go back

Last edited:
this spot has to be killer too, it’s wayyyyy up a drainage, complete with 2000 ft elevation gain, a Boulder field to hop across, and a slot canyon to get lost in. And that just gets you to the front door….

Gotta be something wrong with me, but I have to go back
I HATED it at first, but once you learn how to navigate it and accept the pack outs, it's a pretty selfish way to produce elk consistantly. Although as I say that, I have to admit the last few years I have gotten lucky shooting them on the trail as they go into that area lol.

Smart Plan. We did that this year. it was 3 miles just to the glassing area then 1500ft down and another 1000-1500 feet up which accounted for another 2-3 miles of hiking. Rough country is not worth trying ont eh first go around unless you have multiple guys to help pack out. In this case, it was 2 guys and a total round trip would have been 15+ with a few of those in knee high snow at 11,500-12k feet. We have a plan for next year after watching 30 bulls the entire week.