Hello from Alabama

Early stages of planning an elk hunt for next year with my son. Have some family in Idaho so looking at hunting there so we can spend time there with them too. We have never been hunting in the mountains and I know I gotta trim fat and get in shape . Been reading here for weeks and love the site. Its full of great info. One question I haven't seen though that I want to ask. I know every situation is different but in general if you can pack an elk half mile to a road going up the mountain or 1.5 mes down the mountain to a road which way do you go.?

FLATHEAD

WKR
Welcome from down in Baldwin co.,
Park at the bottom, hunt up the mtn. , pack down the mtn. when possible.
At least thats how I hunt whitetail.

OP
F
Welcome from down in Baldwin co.,
Park at the bottom, hunt up the mtn. , pack down the mtn. when possible.
At least thats how I hunt whitetail.
Howdy from Cullman. We are looking at staying on top and taking a truck to the bottom each morning and hunting down to it. Early in the planning and the 3d maps on google earth are kinda scary haha.

Sled

WKR
The terrain and thermals dictate how you hunt in the west. From a purely physical standpoint, bringing an elk downhill is easier on the legs and harder on knees. If you're crossing blow down then have the elk walk to the truck before you shoot it.

If you're crossing blow down then have the elk walk to the truck before you shoot it.

Kind of my point in the first place. Lot of variables involved when deciding whether to pack meat uphill or pack meat downhill. No two situations are alike.

OP
F
I bet it does . Is it illegal to leave a griz a shoulder or something to occupy his time if hes following ? Haha kinda like a tax you pay .

Sled

WKR
I bet it does . Is it illegal to leave a griz a shoulder or something to occupy his time if hes following ? Haha kinda like a tax you pay .
Usually you just leave a brown streak.

And if a griz taxes you he takes it all. Once claimed youre not getting it back.