Hello From Iowa

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I just thought I would introduce myself. I live in Des Moines, Iowa, with my wife, two kids, and two dogs. I am 35 years old. I hunt deer and turkeys here in Iowa along with pheasants. I have a family friend in Northeast Iowa who allows me to turkey hunt and hunt the late muzzleloader deer season. Northeast Iowa is a beautiful area with great deer and turkey hunting. I picked up a compound bow this spring and am going to do some bow-hunting this fall.

I have a 2.5 year old springer spaniel. She is my first gunddog. We hunt mostly pheasants, with some grouse, quail, and rabbits mixed in. All of our upland hunting is on public land, and all of our pheasant hunting is on public land in Iowa. We made two trips to Northern Wisconsin last fall to hunt grouse. We have had a good last 2 years.

I have hunted Wyoming three times. I was fortunate enough to harvest two antelope and a mule deer all on public land as well. Nothing huge but I was thrilled and the experience was the best part. I love it out there. I hope the western part of the state bounces back from last winter.

I hope to elk hunt in the near future but the task is proving a little more difficult than the deer and antelope hunts were. The group I went with on those hunts is not up for an elk hunt on public land. I cannot afford a guide/outfitter so public land is my only option. I have a point in Wyoming. I am looking at MT, ID, and CO along with Wyoming for a public land hunt. I would like to make it an annual trip.

I know Iowa is not known for public land hunting but there is actually some really good public land options in the state. The limited non-resident tags helps to limit pressure. I have been on most of it in central and south central Iowa. If anybody wants to chat about public land in Iowa feel free to send me a PM.

Matt

NickID

FNG
Welcome from ID and originally from NE IA. Shoot me a message if you have any questions about chasing elk in Idaho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk