Hello from Maine

Robobiss

FNG
Hey folks. Long time lurker, like a really long time, since I was a young teenager and I’m 29 now, just made an account for the first time to hopefully contribute something valuable here and there.

Mostly a bowhunter for whitetails in my home state and eventually a Moose if I can ever draw a damn tag (stopped applying while in the Marines for 4 years, lost all of my points). Shoot quite a bit, mostly rifles. I do gun hunt as well, but only batting “clean up” for the tags I didn’t fill in archery. Also get into Ruffed Grouse at least a couple times a year. Hunt the midwest as well every once in a while.

I grew up loading bullets with my dad at the kitchen table with a hand press. We weren’t homesteaders by any means but one of my prized possessions is a (beat to shit but still shoots)1969 Model 70 in 30-06 that killed the very vast majority of the meat that I ate (bear, deer, moose) growing up until I moved out at 18. Dad is a Marine too, and the running joke is that Carlos Hathcock probably carried that rifle in Vietnam (model and cartridge are the same as what he carried, being a 1969 model it’s certainly possible but unlikely) because it looks like it’s done a tour or three. The truth of the matter is that it spent too much time in a canoe getting banged against antlers.

He’s an FFL now that he’s retired and has a much, much fancier reloading setup nowadays. I still go over to my parents house on Saturdays and shoot/load bullets (he has a 300YD gong off of the back porch).

Other than hunting I’m into general lifting and fitness stuff, mountain biking, running, and Jiu Jitsu.

Hope this wasn’t too long winded. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge here, hope that I will be able to contribute at times.

OP
Robobiss

Robobiss

FNG
Welcome aboard! 🦌
Ruffed grouse = dream bird
No kidding. We have a pretty good population up this way. This year was bad (wet spring) but on a good fall it’s nothing to shoot a limit before lunchtime if you are in the right area.

They taste delicious, way better than chicken. We don’t have much for other upland birds besides woodcock so I don’t have a whole lot to compare them to.

The cool thing about our hunting laws (depending how you look at it) is you can shoot from, down, across, etc. any dirt road legally, and we have thousands of miles of them. It makes it really easy to get kids into shooting ditch chickens (as we call them) and hunting in general eventually.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new ME (a/k/a Maniac) member.

Eddie

P.S. You are awarded the FNG ⭐ (usually reserved for intros with pix) for the day as you mentioned "White Feather" and are a Marine. CH died in Va. Beach (my hometown) and is interred in Norfolk. My Dad was a Marine too and a Korean War combat vet, and I was also in the Corps. Semper Fi.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum. One of my brothers friends drew a non resident moose tag in Maine and shot a giant moose. I hope you get to draw soon.

OP
Robobiss

Robobiss

FNG
Welcome to the forum. One of my brothers friends drew a non resident moose tag in Maine and shot a giant moose. I hope you get to draw soon.
Thank you!

I’m a resident and have been for my entire life other than in the military. My dad has drawn a few times. I would have surely drawn by now had I of been smart enough to keep applying for just a point every year I was gone. Oh well.

Luckily I know someone that gets drawn just about every year, so I do a lot of moose hunting, just not a lot of moose shooting.

OP
Robobiss

Robobiss

FNG
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new ME (a/k/a Maniac) member.

Eddie

P.S. You are awarded the FNG ⭐ (usually reserved for intros with pix) for the day as you mentioned "White Feather" and are a Marine. CH died in Va. Beach (my hometown) and is interred in Norfolk. My Dad was a Marine too and a Korean War combat vet, and I was also in the Corps. Semper Fi.
Thank you kind sir. Semper Fidelis.

As you know, Marines love history. Specifically (mostly) history in regards to the Marine Corps and famous Marines. I have read Carlos’ book more times than I can count. It’s cool to know that I very likely shot on the same ranges (decades later of course) as White Feather himself.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome and thank you for your service to this country. Ruffed grouse is sooo tasty, I used to hunt them in in PA and Alaska. Ran into a few elk hunting this year but only one flew (yes it startled me) but the rest walked out in front of me, very odd and funny I thought.

We had the Recon marines on our sub once for some 'secret training', tough men for sure but man could they eat and eat and eat.....

OP
Robobiss

Robobiss

FNG
Welcome and thank you for your service to this country. Ruffed grouse is sooo tasty, I used to hunt them in in PA and Alaska. Ran into a few elk hunting this year but only one flew (yes it startled me) but the rest walked out in front of me, very odd and funny I thought.

We had the Recon marines on our sub once for some 'secret training', tough men for sure but man could they eat and eat and eat.....
Thank you!

It’s hard to walk back and forth from my treestand without one of those damn birds scaring the daylights out of me. My “house birds” are sketchy and don’t like to play hang around. I also don’t shoot them around the house because I like having them around, haha. So other than coyotes and bobcats they’re pretty safe.

When I drive North to hunt them officially half the time they stay in the road or the ditch. Makes it easy to take their heads off with a 20 gauge. I do really enjoy shooting and eating them, sitting on the deck drinking a beer and listening to them drum away in the afternoon is nice, too.

The government did spend a lot of money and time and effort teaching us to eat a lot, and as fast as possible. Everyone I eat around to this day (literally got called out for it today at work) comments on how I put food away, too funny. For the record though, I was nowhere near as badass as the Recon guys.