Hello from Oregon.

pldenis84

FNG
Hi! My buddy and I are trying to get into bow hunting in the Oregon coast range for elk. We have been scouring the web for info for the last year or so. A location is one of the things that we are having a tough time getting down. Neither of us are afraid of rough terrain (both former military). If anyone has any information for me, that would be awesome! I don't want your sweet spot, but just general info? That is why I figured I would join this community ☺
Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
Most the coast units are tough country. But most have good elk numbers too, definitely need to narrow down your area you are looking towards? Should call odfw to check into access as quite a bit of our Roosevelt's country became permit type areas for access which come up for sale next month. Not trying to discourage you just a heads up. Willing to help if you could narrow it down a bit

If you are open to other areas I would recommend looking around the area between Burns and Juntura Or. I say this as I drive through that area twice a week and my biggest concern is hitting f'ing elk. I literally have to time my drive so they aren't an issue and close encounters with them there are all to frequent. It is definitely more high desert and canyons but I know there are a lot of elk there.

tttoadman

WKR
If you are open to other areas I would recommend looking around the area between Burns and Juntura Or. I say this as I drive through that area twice a week and my biggest concern is hitting f'ing elk. I literally have to time my drive so they aren't an issue and close encounters with them there are all to frequent. It is definitely more high desert and canyons but I know there are a lot of elk there.

There are no elk in the Burns area...You better stick to your coast plan:)

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, stay in the bottoms if you are hunting the coastal range. I killed a 5 point 50 yards off the road in the bottom of a drainage less than 10 minutes after a truck went blowing by up to the tops and didn't even see me standing there basically on the road. Killed other elk on the coast, and all were in the bottoms (and basically in the same tiny area). Look for skunk cabbage that has been heavily grazed and active wallows and hunt it. I tree stand hunted the wallows with decent success. Also, learn to ID mushrooms and you will go home with full packs of them.

Oh and when your hunting the Oregon coast, shoot the first thing in range. May be the only elk you see.