Hells canyon 6.5cm/300wm

What’s up guys so a lot of you know from my other thread I am looking to buy a hells canyon in either 6.5 creedmoor or a 300win mag for moose down to antelope ( elk, sheep, Muley )or might just have to buy both eventually.

anyway barrel length. If I go with the 300 I have no choice but a 26 inch barrel.

but if I go 6.5 I have to decide between the 22 or 26 inch barrel. Is the 26 inch barrel worth the extra weight and size carrying it around for the velocity I am getting?

would you go 26 or 22. If you have the rifle how do you like it? What do you think?

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
What’s up guys so a lot of you know from my other thread I am looking to buy a hells canyon in either 6.5 creedmoor or a 300win mag for moose down to antelope ( elk, sheep, Muley )or might just have to buy both eventually.

anyway barrel length. If I go with the 300 I have no choice but a 26 inch barrel.

but if I go 6.5 I have to decide between the 22 or 26 inch barrel. Is the 26 inch barrel worth the extra weight and size carrying it around for the velocity I am getting?

would you go 26 or 22. If you have the rifle how do you like it? What do you think?

What animals are you expecting to hunt in what conditions?

OP
F
I am just trying to have an all around western rifle in the safe in case one day a tag does come through for somthing so I am not caught with my pants down.

if the 6.5 was good enough for elk and moose , I know it is great for anything smaller.

Bsnyder

WKR
Questions that come to mind, are you used to shooting a magnum caliber? What are your expected shot distances? Are your shooting them with a break or Suppressor? Are you going to reload in order to get the most out of both calibers, I’m a long barrel fan but that comes at a price I’m also a magnum fan, and I like shooting things from distance. So for me it would be the 300 win with a bullet I trust that will preform fully at the longest possible distance with in my abilities. For reference I’ve shot 9 antelope with a 300 rum at yardages from 130-480, only on one occasion did I have a miss hit and I split the antelopes chest cavity wide open upon impact. Never shot a moose so can’t speak to that but I’ve shot all other listed including elk with my rum. Using a bullet you trust and shooting with in your limits and the limits of your equipment you will kill anything you point at.

OP
F
I am use to shooting a 3006 here in the East. Yes the new rifle will have a break.

I am just assuming a 300win mag will destroy a antelope or even mule deer?

Bsnyder

WKR
Destroying is subjective. I’ve only hammered on where I lost some. But that has to do with bullet and bullet placement and impact velocity.

Bsnyder

WKR
My rule of thumb when moose or elk is on the table is take the biggest rifle rifle that you can accurately shoot.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I am use to shooting a 3006 here in the East. Yes the new rifle will have a break.

Caliber does not destroy an animal, poor shot placement does. Even a shot from a .20 caliber will destroy meat if placed wrong. If you place the shot in the lungs/heart region no issues. I have shot multiple whitetails with my 300WIN without any meat loss.

Dude above said he shot some with a 300 rum with no issues. That should answer your question on the 300 win mag. Get the 300 win mag and you'll be covered for anything.

Gun is great. Sitting in the deer stand with mine now in 300 wsm.... But obviously ain't seeing no deer.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
F
Ok just wand shouldered both.
My guys at my lgs talked me into the 300.

also the 26 inch barrel on the 300 doesn’t feel overly long.

they said with the 300 your good for anything no question. Said same thing about shot placement and destroying meat.

told me I can just buy the 6.5 next year in the tikka lol

OP
F
Will the hells canyon speed version 300wm with the 1:10 twist shoot out to a 1000 yards alright? If I was bored and wanted to try shooting long range.

or would only the long range version excel with that?

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
That 1:10 will spin 180's and 200's just fine. You may find one particular bullet shoots better than another. You'll just have to play around with that. The 1:8 would be better for the 200+ weight bullets if your really going to focus on the long range game. The heavier contour barrel on the long range model should be better at holding zero with higher shot strings as it heats up than the pencil barrel the speed has also. You'll probably need a little more patience when load developing and using the speed model over the long range model. You just need to decide if that 10 oz. heavier rifle is worth it to you for the heavier barrel.

slowelk

WKR
Will the hells canyon speed version 300wm with the 1:10 twist shoot out to a 1000 yards alright? If I was bored and wanted to try shooting long range.

or would only the long range version excel with that?

The twist rate will not hold you back at distance, it will only impact how heavy of a bullet you can shoot.

Use this to determine how heavy of a bullet you can shoot at your local range, elevation is the key factor here - https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/. Where I live I can shoot 215s from a 10-twist with no problem. You can most definitely shoot a 180 out to 1k no matter where you are with a 10-twist.

I have an XBOLT Speed in 30 06 and an XBOLT Max Long Range in 300 win mag (1in8 twist). Shot my elk with the 300 win mag with a 220 ELDX at 505 yards and my mule deer at 100 yards. Both were 1 shot kills. No the mule deer was not destroyed but it rocked him hard! Lifted him off his front legs, fell back on his back legs and then just fell over!!!! We hiked all over the mountains and I did not find the 26" barrel to be an issue. The speed is lighter, but I found the Max long range to be more stable when shooting at distance. It is 10.5 lbs with scope. The Speed is about 9 lb I think. Both are tack drivers!!!!!

I did find that the MCarbo spring didn't really do much. I replaced both triggers with a Timney. Crisp, 2 lbs!!!!