Hells canyon armory

My last barrel from him took 4 months to get the steel from benchmark, took bout 4 weeks to get wrapped and then another month and a half to get the chamber cut with my own reamer, my own action/stock. Total time was approx 6 months. You guys gotta keep in mind, a ton of projects been sent his way early summer in hopes of everyone getting their stimmy check chambered in time for hunting season. High quality work can be done quickly, but high quality is in high demand. It's not going to be fast.
2 months ago my best friend acquired all the parts for his new 28 nosler, every single component. I reached out to Alex Wheeler who we want to smith it. He told me he has my number and will call when he can get go the project, likely end of year, completion 3 months later. That's a 9 month lead time quote and we have EVERY single component in hand. Quality takes time.
Some of you are not reading what people here are saying. This thread was originally about the lack of communication and the quoted timelines being missed by months, again, with no communication. I am waiting for a rifle I was told I would have in February. I never expected to have it in February based on what most people seem to experience with most gunsmiths. Yes, supply chains are messed up but people waiting for a rifle now ordered after Covid hit and quoted times should have reflected the delays that were already being seen late last year. Mike was good at returning my emails and told me there would be a month or 2 delay. He then updated me with a July date when I asked about progress in late May. I emailed him 6 weeks ago to see if that time was still the expected time and I never heard back.

I don't care if the gun takes until next February (mainly because I don't have a rifle hunt this year), but I feel I should be updated on delays. I have no issues with Mike other than the lack of communication here the last 6 weeks. I would have been perfectly OK if he just told me its going to be 6 months later than expected when I asked back in May.

I am not trying to drag him through the mud. My conversations with him have been great. The order process was great and I felt he was attentive to what I was asking for in my build. He addressed all of my concerns when talking with him. If the rifle shoots like I think it will I will be happy overall.

Last edited:
I’ve had a rifle delayed a year waiting on components that were supposed to be at the builder a year before that. Lots of customers were in the same boat. Now mike doesn’t take in just one style of rifle, he works in a multitude of factory and custom actions and makes barrels and plenty of other things. I’ve been annoyed myself by lack of communication on delays like that but it was out of their hands and with as busy as a gunsmith is, to go out of their way weekly and go through their entire backorder log of customers and give them an update on the delay of their project would take hours. That’s hours a week taking away from getting actual work done, that’s also dealing with half the customers who would bitch and moan about their rifle not being done when it’s not 100% the smith’s fault. So I could totally see mike having some trouble with communication. Maybe he got in over his head a bit and had a surge of customers in the past 6-8 months? I’m sure he is backlogged pretty good. I know he has expanded his tooling and machinery recently to try and free up time with his hands and ramp up production a bit. Who knows if there are issues with that and machinery? I don’t know but at one end I agree with the people here on the communication part would be nice, on the other hand don’t be hounding him all the time about your build.

it’s also getting into hunting season and the guy is most likely hunting his state along with a other or two. Pretty standard practice for most people in this industry, they work hard just like all of you and want some time off to do what they love.

I had mine rebarrel my sako trg 42 and completion was delayed 4 months but communication was decent during the whole time. Part of the delay was out of his hands as well as machinery on his end was delayed being delivered. Regardless the final product was something I was happy with and it was the first one he had ever done. Super nice guy to work with and i believe his way of work is dying and few smiths take a “one hand in everything” approach to their builds. This causes delays but also keeps QC high and makes tack driving rifles in the end. I wouldn’t hesitate to use mike again even if it meant a long delay.8D096AB0-BA22-4207-B04C-D4F4FE61AF2A.jpeg

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I've had custom work done to one rifle but I chose to go through a local gunsmith who came highly recommended. The benefits of going this route was actually being able to go see his shop and talk to him in person prior to agreeing to anything. I paid for the barrel upfront when ordered and the labor when I picked up the rifle (I was given a price up front). Another benefit of staying local is He told me to hang on to my rifle until all the parts came in. he called about two weeks before he wanted to work on it and I dropped it off. The whole process took nine months but if his schedule was wide open I would have been suspicious...

khuber84

WKR
I've had custom work done to one rifle but I chose to go through a local gunsmith who came highly recommended. The benefits of going this route was actually being able to go see his shop and talk to him in person prior to agreeing to anything. I paid for the barrel upfront when ordered and the labor when I picked up the rifle (I was given a price up front). Another benefit of staying local is He told me to hang on to my rifle until all the parts came in. he called about two weeks before he wanted to work on it and I dropped it off. The whole process took nine months but if his schedule was wide open I would have been suspicious...
I've sent two barrels for prefit to Omega Precision in WY. He had them in his possession for less than 3 days each. Both shoot lights out. Some guys are just willing to accommodate a quick project in the middle of the rest his busy schedule. So getting things done quickly doesn't necessarily mean a flare needs to go up.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I've sent two barrels for prefit to Omega Precision in WY. He had them in his possession for less than 3 days each. Both shoot lights out. Some guys are just willing to accommodate a quick project in the middle of the rest his busy schedule. So getting things done quickly doesn't necessarily mean a flare needs to go up.
True. I had my action blueprinted, bolt face trued, and stock work done as well as fitting the new barrel so it was quite a few more hours of work than just a barrel.

2 months ago my best friend acquired all the parts for his new 28 nosler, every single component. I reached out to Alex Wheeler who we want to smith it. He told me he has my number and will call when he can get go the project, likely end of year, completion 3 months later. That's a 9 month lead time quote and we have EVERY single component in hand. Quality takes time.

I reached out to Alex earlier this year about having a rifle rebarreled. He told me he's too backed up and not taking new customers. I have no reason to go on the internet and complain about his missed deadlines because he didn't put me or himself in that position by taking work he doesn't have the bandwidth for.

Edit to add: My experience with Mike a couple years ago made it seem like he is an accommodating guy. Wants to do what his customers ask for even if it's not something tried and true or he has a ton of experience with. Kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from a place like RBros who seems prone to say no to things they aren't 100% positive will work out well. I think he'd do himself some favors by saying no to work that doesn't fit well with his work flow or known experience for now.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Thank you for starting this thread. It has definitely influenced my plans for a tikka build later this year.
Buy a Tikka prefit from proof on expert voice for 700$, granted it's a saami chamber and will need throated but that's easy. Need bolt face opened? Send to Shaen smiting in CA, 125$. Get a Mesa stock or AG, xlr element 4.0, these stocks are very easy to bed, chassis needs none. Can do the majority of the work yourself. I've built a few this way for myself and a friend.

Some of you are not reading what people here are saying. This thread was originally about the lack of communication and the quoted timelines being missed by months, again, with no communication. I am waiting for a rifle I was told I would have in February. I never expected to have it in February based on what most people seem to experience with most gunsmiths. Yes, supply chains are messed up but people waiting for a rifle now ordered after Covid hit and quoted times should have reflected the delays that were already being seen late last year. Mike was good at returning my emails and told me there would be a month or 2 delay. He then updated me with a July date when I asked about progress in late May. I emailed him 6 weeks ago to see if that time was still the expected time and I never heard back.

I don't care if the gun takes until next February (mainly because I don't have a rifle hunt this year), but I feel I should be updated on delays. I have no issues with Mike other than the lack of communication here the last 6 weeks. I would have been perfectly OK if he just told me its going to be 6 months later than expected when I asked back in May.

I am not trying to drag him through the mud. My conversations with him have been great. The order process was great and I felt he was attentive to what I was asking for in my build. He addressed all of my concerns when talking with him. If the rifle shoots like I think it will I will be happy overall.
I sent a check last July, and was told six months. He's been hard to get a hold of several times but I spoke with him last week and he said he was waiting on a break and cerakote. I am fully expecting to have a nice rifle when it gets here.

I don't really have a problem with waiting. I've waited longer for other things before, but I do wish the communication would have been better. In my business, if I am behind on someones project or encounter a problem that is going to cause a delay, I reach out to the customer and inform them. I have initiated the conversation each time for an update. I have plenty of other rifles to hunt with, but if I didn't, I would be upset on the timeline.

I think the services offered are a bargain, and am not surprised he is overly busy. I couldn't really find anything negative before sending him a check, so I tend to think he has had more business than ever this last year. It can be a struggle to grow and stay balanced in all respects.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Just thought I would check back in and see if any of you guys who have been waiting on a rifle have recieved thiers

Dhbwa

WKR
Guess I don’t have the patience some have and luckily I know of several very good smiths that can assemble all the parts into a rifle in less than 2 months. I also buy parts in advance and when available just in case of what’s happening now……

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Can't speak specifically to communication issues or delays but I will say that @HellsCanyon mike has been a close personal friend of mine for almost 10 years now. He's a good guy who makes a great product. You would be hard pressed to find a better builder then him let alone for what he charges. He is crazy busy this year and is also building a new house. Sorry to anyone having a bad experience, I can guarantee it's not on purpose.

I have a rifle from Mike and its awesome! I'd vouch for him any day. But, I am not shocked to stumble onto this thread.

I have another build with a very respected builder that I started last October that even with the component delays we thought would take 6 months, but it was just done last week...just short of a year later. I don't think any builder is immune to it.

I also know that of the 5-6 builders (including Mike) that I have spoken with, they are 2, maybe 3 man shops. If you had to answer emails and phone calls all day, you'd never get anything done. I get it that for the money that you are paying you want white glove service on a build, but the reality is you're paying 90% for parts, the buiider isn't making a pile of cash off of you (at least I don't see the math working that way). They just can't be builders + customer service + sales and do it all.

I guess I see both sides, but I have had 3 rifles built and they all took longer than expected, so maybe I just got a little immune to it. But once you go custom you'll never go back!

Last edited:

Dhbwa

WKR
If you had to answer emails and phone calls all day, you'd never get anything done. I get it that for the money that you are paying you want white glove service on a build, but the reality is you're paying 90% for parts, the buiider isn't making a pile of cash off of you (at least I don't see the math working that way). They just can't be builders + customer service + sales and do it all.

This is true…..
In a past life I built engines and finally had my dad answering the phone…

OP
Eltigreblanco
Can't speak specifically to communication issues or delays but I will say that @HellsCanyon mike has been a close personal friend of mine for almost 10 years now. He's a good guy who makes a great product. You would be hard pressed to find a better builder then him let alone for what he charges. He is crazy busy this year and is also building a new house. Sorry to anyone having a bad experience, I can guarantee it's not on purpose.
I spoke with Mike last month and it sounded like he was on the right track. Just thought I'd see if anyone had gotten a rifle yet

I got my on 9/15/21. Most of it looked pretty decent. I had him add a picatinny rail on the stock. He cerakoted my picatinny for my scope black, but the one on the stock was left just anodized black. It had a little marring on it from where he mounted a bipod. Whatever. The finish on the cf barrel is not overly impressive. It has some pitting and some trash in the finish.

Initial ladder looked good (see below). I pulled the bottom metal to adjust the trigger. I noticed the rear action screw was loose... Really loose... I asked Mike what to set it to (45in-lbs) and retorqued them down. Bolt wouldn't open. Rear screw protruded through the rear tang. I trimmed the screw about 25/1000" and all is good now.

Groups opened up a lot on my next outing. Thought it was action screws but eventually figured out the brake had worked about 1/4 turn loose. Tightened back down.. groups shrunk right back. The rifle shoots really well.

I'm getting a very light ejector swipe on all of my brass, even when chambering an properly sized empty piece of brass. I pulled the ejector plunger and cleaned it, the spring, and the hole. To no avail. Asked Mike about it, he asked for pictures (sent on 9/29/21) no response to the pictures yet.

I've put 80 rounds through the rifle so far. Shoots good, feels pretty good, but can't say I'd do it again.

Attachments

• PXL_20210929_221326113.jpg
    PXL_20210929_221326113.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 76
  • CAP7263424592829763904.jpg
    CAP7263424592829763904.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 79
How many gunsmiths does it take to change a lightbulb? Just one ….but it takes him 2 1/2 years. Same is true of taxidermists and luthiers.

Lawnboi

WKR
Although still not happy with some of the work Mike had done. I can say that my replacement barrel finally turned on after 150 rounds. This is one of a few one holers this rifle has made now. Some good news for you guys waiting. 0BE1ACFF-C78C-4CB1-AA49-A8E32ED6F194.jpeg

I say to hell to the finish on my muzzle brakes, they get a wrench or pliers. I’ve had too many come loose on me. It’s there too be functional not pretty.