Hell’s Canyon Speed 300WM

I have a Hell’s Canyon Speed 300WM on the way. I do not hand load. I shoot Barnes TTSX 168’s out of my 308 and they are very accurate. I prefer the same brand with this rifle if they group well.
Most shots will be inside 300 yards on Whitetails with an occasional trip out west for Elk.
Question: 165’s or 180’s? Anyone with specific experience with either?
Thanks in advance.

92xj

WKR

10" twist.
I've had great luck with 196gr, 199gr and getting ready to try some 181gr because I can't stop tinkering.

92xj

WKR
Only in the long range models, not the hells canyon speed, which is what the OP posted. I have a late model 2018 speed that's 10". Maybe I'm wrong though...

Last edited:
OP
Mr Drysdale
Anyone actually shot either the 165 or 180 TTSX’s out of a Hell’s Canyon Speed?

Yes I shot both out of my HC Speed 30 06. They shoot great. The Hornady ELD-x shot best followed by the TTSX and Federal Trophy bonded tip which tied for second. We are talking very small differences at 100 and 200 yards between all three brands. Went with the Federal 180's, I was a bit worried about expansion with the TTSX's.

I have the same rifle/caliber. Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else out there has any additional information/opinions on factory ammo and weights that work best and why. Thanks.
I had one for a year. Spent a lot of money trying different factory loads. It would shoot most stuff “well” but the heavier 200 eldx shot the best. I could get 2 inch groups with 180 grain (didn’t seem to matter if Barnes, Nosler, etc). The Hornady precision 200 eldx would stay sub MOA (.75-1”). Depends on what you are looking for, 2” groups are good enough for a lot of people’s purposes if you just really like a particular bullet. The best grouping was the Hornady though.

OP
Mr Drysdale
Well, my son and I made it to the range this morning with our two new Hell’s Canyon Speed 300WM rifles. We had cleaned both barrels and bore sighted. Set up the chronograph and off we went. The only ammunition I had purchased was the factory Barnes 165 grain TTSX and truly hoped it would group well. Low and behold both rifles shot better then MOA with me shooting mine and he shooting his. Velocity was better than what Barnes claimed (3,120 FPS). My rifle shot 3,161 and his 3,159. We are excited and very pleased with the new purchase and feel like we made a good choice after this morning’s range session. 10 rounds each out of both rifles. Now to order more ammunition!!!! BTW both shooting Leupold LPS 3 x 10 x 44 scope with 30mm tube mounted in Talley LW medium height.