helly hansen imperitech rain gear questions

Mike P

FNG
Does anyone have a weight on the stuff?

I normally pack my lightweight breathable sierra designs stuff but 2 years ago on a goat hunt we got stuck in heavy fogg and rain for days and my gear sucked. I have heard how the HH is very good and the price is great, but i want to know how much if a weight penalty i will have packing it.

OP
M

Mike P

FNG
thanks

thanks.

Yikes thats twice as heavy as what i am packing now

HH will keep you dry from the outside awsome stuff. That was XXL in its stuff sacks. I bought cabelas space rain gear for CO.

OP
M

Mike P

FNG
hmmm, wonder what it would be for weight in Large bottoms and xl tops

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep in mind that HH impertech doesn't breathe at all. I have a set of bibs and jacket that I use for moose hunting up here in AK, but it is really only good for sitting around in camp or hunting from a tree stand or atv where you will be doing minimal to no activity. Super waterproof, but if you work up a sweat at all in it, you will be soaked from the inside, and will likely not be dry again until your trip is over. Great gear, pretty close to bombproof, but not a very good choice for the backpack hunter IMHO due to heavy weight and inability to breathe.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just keep in mind that HH impertech doesn't breathe at all. I have a set of bibs and jacket that I use for moose hunting up here in AK, but it is really only good for sitting around in camp or hunting from a tree stand or atv where you will be doing minimal to no activity. Super waterproof, but if you work up a sweat at all in it, you will be soaked from the inside, and will likely not be dry again until your trip is over. Great gear, pretty close to bombproof, but not a very good choice for the backpack hunter IMHO due to heavy weight and inability to breathe.

+1 to this, but won't be selling mine anytime soon.

Mike7

WKR
I have HH Impertech XL bottoms which weigh about 20.5 ounces according to my scale. I don't take them backpack hunting, and instead wear quick drying pants with gaiters in the rain right now.

As stated they are waterproof and don't breathe...and additionally, I find them uncomfortable to hike in much because of the amount of material/seam in the crotch/medial thigh area. Though they are strechy,durable, and quiet. They also seem to insulate some, so rarely do I need anything more than my regular hunting pants on under them when sitting in the snow and sleet waiting/hunting.

B

bearguide

my experiance in alaska rain is nothing keeps you dry. but hh is the best, just heavy. but in heavy weather you get wet on the inside

Jdog

WKR
HH Impertech is the best option for AK hunting IMHOP. I have never been wet in it and its seen some hours/days in the heavy rain and wind. I only use it in AK...nothing better.

I have never had a problem with it drying out in the vestibule over night if I work up a sweat in it...mine dries out fine.

swat8888

WKR
Large HH Impertech pants weight 19.6oz according to my scale. I took them sheep hunting last year and it rained daily. As others have said they are bombproof, but take forever to dry out if the sun never shines....as was the case for me.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have ever thought you would not / could not quit shaking from being soaked in 30F weather, then you may not realize the extra weight is minimal.

True, but I have had the same "shakes" getting chilled by sweating thru my base layers and then stopped hiking and got chilled. Don't get me wrong, Impertech is great stuff but if you hike in it for any distance you will be soaked regardless of what the weather is doing.