Help a New rifle hunter ?

Elk_eatr

FNG
I am going to begin rifle hunting next year for the first time. I have archery hunted for the last 12 years and primarily do backpack wilderness hunts for deer and elk. I am interested in switching to rifle hunting because I plan on hunting out of state, and to be honest I want to try something new. I am not an experienced marksman and am extremely new to this realm, and am seeking any advice from those willing to share, as I do not know many experienced rifle hunters . I still plan on doing backpack hunts when I switch to rifle, so I am looking for a setup that is relatively lightweight. For those of you who do this style of hunting, what is an ideal weight for a complete rifle setup? As far as the rifle, I am not looking for something with all of the bells and whistles, but something more in the middle of the road. I want to consider all options before committing to a rifle, but I figure my max budget for rifle without optics would be 1600. I also wouldn’t plan on taking any long range shots, possibly 350-400 yards max on an animal. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Hope you all are having/had an excellent and memorable season!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
8 pounds total seems to be a very nice happy medium. It's a very shootable weight, but still light enough to pack around. Check out a Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308. All of those calibers produce moderate recoil, have plenty of quality factory ammo offerings, and are more than capable of taking elk and deer out to 400 yards when paired with proper bullets. The Zeiss V4 is a great scope to pair with a Tikka T3x for an accurate lightweight rifle system!

OP
E

Elk_eatr

FNG
8 pounds total seems to be a very nice happy medium. It's a very shootable weight, but still light enough to pack around. Check out a Tikka T3x chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308. All of those calibers produce moderate recoil, have plenty of quality factory ammo offerings, and are more than capable of taking elk and deer out to 400 yards when paired with proper bullets. The Zeiss V4 is a great scope to pair with a Tikka T3x for an accurate lightweight rifle system!
Thanks for the input! Looking forward to getting my hands on the rain gear I just ordered from you guys!! What’s everyone’s thoughts on ammo availability? Should I base my caliber decision on what is most abundantly available?

I would think that if you kept after it you could find most ammo. Dont overlook the .270 or 30-06. Also the .260, which I see ammo for locally still. For lighter weight and an all around a good rifle the Tikka is a good choice that leaves money for your scope.

bruno747

FNG
Ammo availability now is horrendous across the board. I wouldn't use current availability to choose caliber. Id base the caliber on what it is you intend on hunting and stick with more common calibers as a first rifle.

My go to is 270 win for most items, but my new ultralightweight is 280 ackley.

6.5 creedmoor is popular for most animals as well if you are looking to keep in short action area to save some more weight

I agree with the Tikka T3 specifically the veil light verison, that will get you in under the 1600 with a very nice rifle.

Should I base my caliber decision on what is most abundantly available?
No. You should select a caliber that's suitable for the game you will pursue. The Tikka recommendations are spot on. There are other good ones, but it's really hard to beat Tikka bang for the buck. If you want a gun of US manufacture, I can recommend these https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57073

The ammo issue is something that is going to be short lived. In the interim you will be able to find what you want online. Prices may be obnoxious. But even with the current obnoxious prices, the expense is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

Northpark

WKR
I would take a look at savage rifles or tikka or for your budget the browning hells canyon speed is a nice option. As for caliber out to 400 yards. Most big game rounds will work. .270,30-06, 6.5 creed, 6.5prc, 7mm-08, .308, 270wsm, 280, 280ai, 25-06, etc, etc. scopes? I’d look no further than a Zeiss conquest v4.

Tikka in .270 will cover all NA big game without any trouble.

The Browning Hell’s Canyon Speed has a great reputation amongst the people I know that have them.