Help achieve my Outfitting dream

littlebuf

Banned
i kinda thought this was a joke till I opened the link. interesting concept, have you considered maybe approaching by offering investment opportunity instead of just asking for money? I cant imagine youll get enough random folks to just send you money with zero return in this economy. if this does work though let me know, I want to start my own campaign of help me be the guy with the most gear on rokslide

OP
BigAntlerGetter
honestly i was just told about it by another guy and he told me to give it a shot, from what i have seen on there, there has been some really random campaigns on there that have received a ton of money, i figured it was worth a shot to try and get what i can. if it does work ill let you know if not ill still let ya know but it was my last ditch effort. and i have been told that allowing investment opportunities off of this is not a great idea there are to many hoops to jump through and i talked to one of the customer service people about it and they told me they actually had a guy get sued by his investors for the company once it really took off and they took it from him so they do not suggest allowing complete strangers to invest in your company and if someone would like to be a large investor in the company to do it off of the sight in a more personal enviroment. so i decided to jus try with what i have and maybe a few free hunts could help some people want to help

littlebuf

Banned
do your self a favor and don't consider this your "last ditch effort", your 23. the life long dream hasn't really been a dream that long and these things take time and a lot of hard work. if you want to do this,do it. set your mind to it,work your ass off, and sacrifice what it takes to sacrifice to get it done. people don't refer to there "life's work" by that title for nothing, it takes your whole life being dedicated to doing it. maybe this works out for you, but in my experience the things that come the hardest are worth the most, and last the longest. keep working for it, and don't quit. asking for some one to give it to you is just selling your self short. there dad moment over...

OP
BigAntlerGetter
Ur right i came off the wrong way, this is my last ditch effort as of right now to get funds together for the sale of the business im attempting to buy, this deal lasts 60 days and the sale of the business goes out as of august 1st, so its kinda a get rich quick type deal for myself to try and get it as soon as possible, if it does not work oit then i continue to save my money until next year and hope i have enough eventually, im not going to give up after this im not that type of person, this is something i have always wanted and will work for it even if it takes me until im 50, but i am trying this because im buying a pre existing business that the owner is getting to old to run amd is jus a little over it, for his clients sake if it is not sold by hunting seasons he cancels the years sale and then restarts the next year, so im trying to get it done as quick as possible for both our sakes. Im not the type of guy that has had everything handed to him ive worked since i was 14 and aint afraid of it. I have actually ben told by a realtor selling a business that he absolutely would not help me aquire a loan due to the fact that i am a 23 yr old kid that doesnt know the first thing about running, owning or maintaining a business and i should jus stick to a laboring job where i belong.....so what do i do well i am going to run, operate and maintain a business eventually whether it takes 2months or 20 years it wil be done. I dont like free handouts but in this economy its kind of hard to pass something up that may make ur future everything you wanted and something that can set a foundation for your future family, and kids is worth everything in my opinion. Like i said if it works great if it doesnt then theres always more time to achieve my goal

I am 23 as well. I however am buying a house. Now it's possible to get a loan if you have the cash down. My advice to you would be this. If the gentlemen your trying to buy this outfitting business just wants out then give him the out. Try and meet with him and make an agreement that you will work for him to pay for the company. You will however need to get an attorney involved to write up a contract. You can look at it like a rent to own deal. I am assuming the owner wouldn't mind this deal cause most outfitters selling their business are attached and want to see it succeed. This is just an idea. Hope it helps and good luck.

littlebuf

Banned
I would think this is a great opportunity for the both of you. if hes getting to old to run it you could run it for him while he remains the owner till you can buy him out. seems like a win win to me. good luck

OP
BigAntlerGetter
Yes guys it could be a win win, the gentleman woud do a down payment and carry a note but he would like a 20% down payment for his sake so i dont run it for a year or 2 and bail which i wouldnt but hes jus worried. We have been trying to negotiate some possibilities and he prefers me to try and get a down payment for a loan so he can be paid in full. But he is still willing to help me with all i need if i can purchase the business. My only problem is the down payment therefore anything i raise will be used for a down payment. I appreciate you guys actually helping out and giving me insight, a few guys on other sites have been bashin ke pretty good for this. But i am and will attempt everything possible to achieve this

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a vehicle you own that you could sell? Lot easier to get a vehicle financed than just about anything. Perhaps a refi? Might be enough to get you in the door or close to it. Maybe not so much if you are driving a beater... : )

Hardstalk

WKR
BAG another thing to consider is. Have you personally spent a season not hunting and devoted yourself to guiding others. Helping someone who cant shoot straight after scouting out a bull/buck that you would love to take yourself? Been thru the emotional struggles of finding hidden pockets of animals after/before hunters that depend on you for success arrive/leave? Have you had to sit back and wait on carl/joe that tips the scale at 400lbs to hike into a spot where you watch the animals graze at first lite and then disappear during the day. Knowing full well there just not going to make it in time to kill? At your current age a bit of advice would be to try it for a season. If the owner will work with you. Tell him to keep the money as a down payment or use your tips towards your goal. I would hate for you to have a passion for hunting,horses and the hills destroyed by debt and obligation doing something you dont know if your truly passionate enough to pay interest on and get locked into. Buying a business is not a small step. Its a lifestyle and one that if not ran properly and efficiently could very well haunt you for life. Mixing business with pleasure is a un measurable risk. Try it. The time is now to be out scouting and devoting yourself to 100% client success. Im not trying to come off as a debby downer just some food for thought.

OP
BigAntlerGetter
Hardstalk, i appreciate it an you are not a debbie downer. To answer your question i have done that, my first year guiding for a certain outfitter i wqs the guy that got stuck with the older, bigger or lazier guys since i was the rookie of the camp. I am not afraid to scout, devote my time and everything to the success of my clients. I have felt the feeling of a successful client hunt, and also of a hubt where we did not see a single animal, also the feeling of watching my client miss multiple times. You guys are very helpful and i appreciate everything. I know this is not the best way to go i have had suggestions of multiple small loans but i have been told it would not work. I have thought of having my own startup but in this state getting permits is pretty tough. If ypu guys have any other suggestions id greatly appreciate it

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sell some guns, cash out a 401K and sell some plasma if you really want this. 20% of an outfitting business couldn't be to hard to raise capital for if you're a go getter. Have you made sure you can even earn a living between the purchased price and the revenue? Can you start your own for cheaper compared to buying?

OP
BigAntlerGetter
Sell some guns, cash out a 401K and sell some plasma if you really want this. 20% of an outfitting business couldn't be to hard to raise capital for if you're a go getter. Have you made sure you can even earn a living between the purchased price and the revenue? Can you start your own for cheaper compared to buying?

due to the way this gun control stuff is id rather not sell my guns, plus most of my personal guns are in my dads name and its jus one of those things we dont sell i know that is stupid but its kinda the way me an my family are. i do have a 401k that i plan on cashing out but there jus isnt much in it due to my lack of jobs with a 401k option the current business i am at and have been for 3 years has one but there jus aint much in it. and plasma? ive never heard of selling it. and between the purchase price and the revenue with the already running business is very possible. and once i do get it im not just going to sit around and wait for hunting i will be working other jobs to help with costs. im fully prepared to take this over and work my butt off for it. i know that the way i am asking right now is a lazy cheap skate type of way. someone mentioned investors but im not sure how many guys would like to pay money upfront for a hunt that may not happen til 2014 or 2015. but if someone is interested in something like that i am more than willing to talk with them privately, provide them with my business plan and before any money was taken on i would wait to get a few set up so that i would have enough for my down payment. then i would start up a contract that says if the business is not aquired by this time the money would be refunded 100%. i appreciate all of your guys help i do understand that this is a mostly DIY type of forum but my business will offer drop camps as well as fully guided and private land hunts. i plan on donating a certain number of hunts a year to the elk foundation and mule deer foundation for the youth as well as donating to wounded warriors and special needs. im not all in this for me i am in it to help others and jus hope it will work out. i was going to delete my campaign today due to the fact of being razzed about it so much on another site and really thinking how its not really a very good way of going about it. but someone donated a dollar and once someone has donated its in for the long haul. i appreciate every cent donated to me but wish i wouldnt have jumped into that site so quickly. if you or anyone else would like to find out about an investment hunt i will call it please message me and i will provide you with more insight including my business plan.
thank you guys and if anyone on here has done what i am attempting i would like to speak with you about help.

OP
BigAntlerGetter
Josh
i have seen the P&L's and they do look very good, the tax returns also, and there is definetily room for growth. right now the guy only runs 4 people per fully guided hunt and there is room for 6-8 that is his personal experience and just got smaller as he got older. also he has 80 days in the summer that he does not use as of now that he can use if someone wanted to do pack trips. i am willing to do all of it and also with the amount of people i have backing me we could easily grow with this business. i appreciate it everyone i really do. also the current owner will turn over his entire clientel list to me and he has a 75% return rate for clients, which in that business is very very good. Over the years he has also bought out 2 other business's to expand his. this in my eyes is a very good opportunity for me and a very good business. i would let out information on the business but id afraid if i did someone would buy it out from under me. as said if i could find investors i would let them know a little more insight privately. thank you everyone

2ski

WKR
I see you've said a few times "I've been told" in reference to not being able to get a loan. Man, keep going. Ask someone else. And then ask someone else. Go to every bank in your town. And then go to every bank within the next 100 miles. Go to credit unions, go to banks. Keep asking for a loan until someone tells you yes. I would be you could get some money that someone would lend you. A buddy's wife is a loan officer and she was saying they'll loan money unsecured in an amount they think you can pay back in two years. I would think that would give you some earnest money to give the owner. And ask if you could he could be your partner. He doesn't work, but gets a percentage of the profits and then you have a buyout clause for a few years down the road. Or take on investors and put a buy-out clause in the contract. Just because someone told you a horror story about losing their business, doesn't mean its going to happen to you. Take precautions to make sure it doesn't happen to you.

You can always find someone to tell you why something can't be done....you have a choice on whether to listen to them or not. Generally those are the people that don't want to see you succeed.

OP
BigAntlerGetter
thanks 2ski, everytime i am told that it cant be done it makes me want it even more. i am most likely taking this weekend to meet with the current owner, if i get off work which will be a very big step for me meeting in person. i appreciate your guys insight i am working with a few friends to cosign along with me due to the fact that my dad cant really do much to help (he recently bought his house and a new tractor) if he could he would. when i talk to the gentleman this weekend i hope that this can turn around and help me im hoping to set it up to the point if we can work something out that he finishes the year and i take over the first of the year. i feel that the clients he currently has signed up should be able to be with him. Even though he will be turning the entire list to me afterwards i think that would be the best for us plus i could have time to finish up at my current job and have time for my boss to bring in new people to cover me. i talked to a bank in montrose today that is willing to see what they can do come monday, they are having a business loan special and lowering interest rates. i have also gotten in contact with a gentleman here in my valley that specializes in business aquisation loans so ill see what he has to say. once again on the beginning of this topic i wish i would have cancelled my campaign when i had the chance i just jumped the gun on that and went for it. thank you everyone completely

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Everybody is going to make you have some skin in the game, i.e. some of your own money. I still say if you want this bad enough you'll sell some plasma, guns and whatever else to make your dreams come true. Otherwise it's not really a big deal. Besides, if it will make you money you can replace guns and the whatever elses you may sell.

OP
BigAntlerGetter
ya im selling one of my old ford pickups that i got, that will get me a little more cash in my savings fund. I also found a banker today that may be willing to help me. After i speak with the owner saturday i will be able to go to him with more information and some stuff that i need for him to look into a loan. Im also looking into putting my current pickup in as collateral that may help. Like you said if the business makes money i could always buy the stuff again. My dad and brothers are helping me out making me put this solely on my shoulders and they will help. They are going to buy my guns from me as soon as i have all my information and a go ahead on a loan. also im going to ask the outfitter if he may carry me enough for a down payment and i pay him back as quickly as possible. Then the next step is after all that is letting my current boss know that i am leaving and he needs to find someone else to take over for me haha dont wanna get ahead of myself though. and if that website does provide any money i need to figure out what im going to do with it, most likely donate it to something close the youth hunting. you guys have any suggestions on that?