Help! Best way to clean this

Hi guys,
Took a couple friends out to shoot some clays this weekend and borrowed a couple of shotguns from a friend because I only have one here with me. He told me don’t worry about cleaning them when you are done I never have. I’m like typical for this buddy of mine. First thing I do when I get home is take a look at the gun. The barrel has so much fouling or whatever in it it looks like the inside of a sewer pipe. I spent like 15 min with it using a brush and some bore cleaner and could not really make a dent in it. Does anybody have any recommendations. Oh and i did not shoot this one. I left it at home. Attached is a pic. It’s not the best but was hard to focus. I can’t just give this gun back like this I feel to bad for it haha.

Attachments

• 931635BE-CA08-4FE0-A428-DB7AA07C621F.jpeg
    931635BE-CA08-4FE0-A428-DB7AA07C621F.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 124

WCB

WKR
You could go really aggressive with it...but I would try something like Hoppes Foaming Bore Cleaner (GunSlick or Outers...its all the exact same stuff). Plug one end of the barrel spray until barrel is filled and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then go after it with a brush.
Or use another solvent and let it soak for awhile.

ElPollo

WKR
Could be wrong, but that looks like pitting to me. I've had modern shotguns that have had hundreds of rounds go down the bore without cleaning for years and have never seen anything like that develop from fouling. I'm guessing they got it wet and muddy or had it in salty water at some point and didn't wipe it out and oil it. Like WCB said try soaking it with a foaming cleaner. If it doesn't come out, it's probably rust.

OP
L
Thanks I will try to pick up some of that foaming stuff. I will give that a go and report back.

Wapiti1

WKR
Montana x-treme or shooters choice are what I have used that will cut plastic fouling which is what that looks like. Also spray carb or brake cleaner will do it. If you use carb cleaner, remove the barrel. That stuff will remove wood finish. I use it on shotguns and muzzleloaders that see sabots.

Jeremy

OP
L
Well it’s it’s plastic forsure. Comes right out with carb cleaner and a wire brush. Now just need to do the whole thing when I have some time.

Reactions: WCB

crich

WKR
Never knew the wads going down the pipe would build-up like that. I wipe my gun down after every hunt since we typically hunt brackish water... hmm who knew 🤔

OP
L
Well when you treat everything you own like shit this is what happens haha. I do all his dirt bike maintenance too. Anyways I used carb cleaner with a brush hooked up to a drill, and I also used some valve grinding compound. It still won’t come off. Not sure what to do now. I think maybe plug the end with duct tape and fill it all the way up with something to let it soak