Help build me a Sitka system...

cbrown

FNG
I mainly rifle/muzzle load hunt from elevated box stands and when I hunt elevated/open I’m only 10-15 feet high. I know the whitetail line is best but it really stands out where I hunt. Would like to build a system out of the sub-alpine pattern. I hunt in the south and it rarely falls below 30 degrees and don’t like heavy layers, biggest reason for switching to Sitka. I have an equinox hoody that I will swap for a traverse cold weather hoody but what pants and jacket and other pieces would be best to compliment that. Not sure which one would be quiet and best for stationary stand hunting in the south. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure on the pants side of things but one of the Kelvin down jackets would work for an outer layer, might be a touch noisy though, good call on the traverse cold weather hoody switch, I have held that, it's a nice peice

Apex or ascent pants I believe are very quiet. Where in south are you hunting? Depending on the answer I’d seriously consider scentlok. It’s cheaper blends better, comfortable, can layer easy etc. it’s what I used and even below 20° I had no issues with warmth. I grew up hunting in Louisiana and Kentucky and hunted some in Maryland also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treestand bow hunt a lot with the sub alpine system. The pieces I primarily use are the Apex pants, apex hoody, Traverse Cold Weather Hoody, And Lightweight Core hoody these pieces are very quiet and will take you down to that temp layering.

Long hunts I much prefer to wear a thicker setup like the First Lite Solitude or Sitka Fanatic

Courtlandfarms has a pretty good bead on it IMO. Nothing Sitka makes is as quiet as their whitetail line up But I hunt deer in the northeast in subalpine. I prefer to bowhunt from the ground and like that the subalpine gear is better suited for mobile hunting.

I also use are the Apex pants, Traverse Cold Weather Hoody, core heavy weight top And Lightweight Core hoody. I wear a jetstream jacket when it is wet and I have some puffy layers That can get me to the 30s.

Once it gets colder I set h over to a set of First Lite Solitude bibs and jacket.

there are definitely cheaper options that will work great but the Sitka stuff is awesome.

OP
C

cbrown

FNG
Really appreciate the input. I hunt in Arkansas and have quiet a bit of scentlok and nat gear and they work good just looking for something’s a little lighter less bulky. Which pieces are you referring to and I will check them out.

I had a solitude jacket and thought it was nice but it fit a little snug and I need to upsize. I really liked it and thought it was a nice piece. Definitely open to using FL. The solitude is the top end of what I would need for the weather here insulation wise. Would love the fanatic but the elevated 2 is a no go.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
A “system”....lol

get some base layers, rain gear, a pair of pants you find comfortable, and an heavier 1/4zip top.....there’s your “system”.

fatlander

WKR
Anything works until you get down below 40. Then that’s where the whitetail specific line comes into play for all day sits. There is nothing in the western line that will be better suited for sitting on stand all day than the fanatic when it’s 34 degrees and the wind is blowing 15 miles an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

cbrown

FNG
Appreciate the input. Got a lot of base layers and other gear. Was really just wanting to try out some Sitka. Just don’t care for the elevated 2 where I hunt.