Help Build My First Camo System / Kit - Sitka vs First Lite

Kurts86

WKR
Sitka really shines over Kuiu and First Lite in their specialized clothing pieces for Treestand hunting whitetails and their specialized waterfowl clothing. First Lite is trying to catch up in those spaces and Kuiu doesn’t really even try to market their gear for those activities. Using spot an stalk western clothing for treestand deer hunting is a great way to be really cold while wearing a lot of $$$ gear.

For general western gear pieces they all have comparable stuff so pick whatever fits you the best.

Try a bunch of stuff and sell whatever you don’t like and you can make most of your money back on high end gear like if you catch it on sale and don’t like something.

In general Sitka tries to design a lot of features into their clothing, Kuiu is more minimalist and first lite was into making general use pieces but they seem to be going the Sitka gear route more each year. Sitka and Kuiu tend to be more athletic cut and First Lite is a bit more generously cut but still more athletic than most cheaper/older camo.

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I would be remiss if I didn't mention Grey Wolf Woolens. Great quality, every bit as good as Sitka IMHO, and it's made in the USA. Everything is made to order instead of mass-produced so you'll get optimal fit, and in my opinion the actual patterns are better than Sitka's.

anthonyjg

FNG
Newb hunter here. I'm struggling with the same questions. I want to be properly equipped so the experience of the hunt, particularly in northern IL in winter, isn't miserable. But I'm torn between the allure of premium gear and the photos I've seen from decades ago of successful hunters running around the woods in blue jeans and flannels.

Bey609

FNG
I have been really impressed with my SKRE gear. They have a great layering system, packages of layers that come together and their customer service is top notch. Highly recommended

Newb hunter here. I'm struggling with the same questions. I want to be properly equipped so the experience of the hunt, particularly in northern IL in winter, isn't miserable. But I'm torn between the allure of premium gear and the photos I've seen from decades ago of successful hunters running around the woods in blue jeans and flannels.
You don’t need expensive gear, but definitely skip the blue jeans. Or any other color jeans.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
No reason to jump all in on the camo and clothes. You'll discover your priority list as you start hunting, and can make purchases as needed. My bin of my favorite hunting clothes took me 10yrs to put together, one piece at a time.

One thing I realized about myself, is that if I'm going to buy an expensive coat, or pants, I don't want them to be camo. I prefer solid colors, that way I can use them for other things too. I have a cheap "leafy" jacket that I can throw over anything to get my camo in the woods.

anthonyjg

FNG
I hear all this, but some of what I'm bumping into when I look for non-hunting or non-camo clothing is that, while it may be plenty warm, breathable, etc., it's also really loud. Who, besides hunting clothes makers, is making decent outdoor clothing that performs well but doesn't swish-swish every time you move?

Seems like these are two principles every hunter can agree on. Blue is bad. Cotton is bad.
Cotton is bad unless it’s Fjallraven’s G1000. I think for most things you can get by with cheap sale items from Eddie Bauer, Prana, Outdoor Research, Marmot, etc., and not be missing out. On the other hand, there are some big 3 hunting brand items I have that I absolutely love and wouldn’t go without. It really does take some trial and error.

I think most people agree midlayer fleece, puffy jackets, and mild-weather pants are great candidates for non-hunting brands. You can save a pile of money that way, and still end up looking cool for the gram.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I hear all this, but some of what I'm bumping into when I look for non-hunting or non-camo clothing is that, while it may be plenty warm, breathable, etc., it's also really loud. Who, besides hunting clothes makers, is making decent outdoor clothing that performs well but doesn't swish-swish every time you move?
Most hunting gear is available in solid colors. With other brands, you've got to look around and read up on them to see how loud they might be.

anthonyjg

FNG
Most hunting gear is available in solid colors. With other brands, you've got to look around and read up on them to see how loud they might be.
Yes, that's true, but they're still super expensive even in solids (the premier brands, that is).

No reason to jump all in on the camo and clothes. You'll discover your priority list as you start hunting, and can make purchases as needed. My bin of my favorite hunting clothes took me 10yrs to put together, one piece at a time.

One thing I realized about myself, is that if I'm going to buy an expensive coat, or pants, I don't want them to be camo. I prefer solid colors, that way I can use them for other things too. I have a cheap "leafy" jacket that I can throw over anything to get my camo in the woods.
If I may, what is the leafy jacket you use? I'm thinking of going this way, and just use a leafy outer layer for clear weather, or camo rain gear for cold/wet conditions.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, not what you are looking for, but I use solids for everything. Brown and green with some grey.

If you want camo, go for it. But, don't fool yourself into thinking it has to be camo to work.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
If I may, what is the leafy jacket you use? I'm thinking of going this way, and just use a leafy outer layer for clear weather, or camo rain gear for cold/wet conditions.
You may, but I'm not sure on the brand, bought it used. It's ASAT camo, and is mostly just netting with the "leafy" part attached.

I would purchase the pieces you will need regardless if they match or not, or are different brands. Think it would be all most impossible with one type of camo for the whole Season?

I went with Sitka Subalpine for early Season, warmer temps and down into the 40's. And late season with temps below 40 I use the First Lite Cipher Camo, in the Solitude and Sanctuary. So when it;s cold I use the First Lite right over my Sitka. The Sitka Subalpine camo works well in early Season, whereas the First Lite Cipher camo works well late Season.

Last edited: