Help burning 8 points?!?!

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Have decided to burn my 8 points this year and would love to hear from those of you that know Wyoming well.
I am looking for the opportunity at a quality buck with the ability to buy a doe tag close by as well??
I would really like to hear some opinions on what you would do if they were your points. Looking for units, I will break down the scouting after the draw.
Please PM me if you want to keep the info semi private.
I truly appreciate any and all help.
Best
Jason.

204guy

WKR
PM from the patron saint of WY antelope hunting in 3,2,1.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
If you haven't already, expect a pm from the best internet friend you've never met. It'll be a used car salesmen type pitch about doing a group app, he'll get the deal of the year and you'll get the privilege of paying a trespass fee to hunt a private ranch.

My advise. pony up for Go-Hunt, toprut or just look at last years draw odds and see what you could have drawn 100% with 7 points last year. Your points don't necessarily gain you access to bigger bucks, it gains you access to units with lots of easily accessible public land.

BuzzH

WKR
Unit 62 type 2 with your points is a good bet. That unit has some great bucks and you can access one of the better ranches for a trespass fee, although you don't need to have access to that place to find a great buck. Plenty of public land to hunt.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I think what he is saying is it’s unlikely someone gives you that information.

Why wait til after the draw to scout? You have til May 31 to scout and pick a unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely understood. Was hoping to hear from someone who may have been in the same boat last year, used their poiby a and are now waiting for another 8 years.
I am certainly using the digital maps and looking at draw odds for most units now, just can't make it to Wyoming to actually out boots on ground.
Thanks for the reply!

Selway

FNG
In that point range, it's worth the extra coin to get in to the special draw. Look for any unit that took 6 or 7 in the special last year. Any of these tags will be incredible.

What you'll find is that your ability to field jusge will be the limiting factor way more so than amount of bucks to look at. 90% of hunters don't know how to tell the difference between a 75" and 80" buck. Start learning how to judge now.

Last edited:

robie

WKR
Hey all,
Have decided to burn my 8 points this year and would love to hear from those of you that know Wyoming well.
I am looking for the opportunity at a quality buck with the ability to buy a doe tag close by as well??
I would really like to hear some opinions on what you would do if they were your points. Looking for units, I will break down the scouting after the draw.
Please PM me if you want to keep the info semi private.
I truly appreciate any and all help.
Best
Jason.

What do you mean when you say quality buck? 75", 80", 82"+

Have you hunted antelope often?

Can you judge them? Not being rude with this one but it is not easy. Pronghorn Guide Service gets good money to tell you when a goat is 78 vs 81.

Rich M

WKR
I'm gonna do something similar in a couple of years - don't know if you are looking for a mega buck or just a quiet, less people kind of hunt. I want the quiet style hunt with a couple buddies.

wytx

WKR
Don't be too hasty in deciding. We have some winter issues popping up and may have significant winter kill in areas.
With your PP lots of great areas to hunt for a" trophy "buck and no high dollar guide is needed to judge them.
If score is most important then pay that guide but his estimate is only a guess till the buck hits the ground.

Give G&F til April to put out numbers and we'll know the extent of winter kill then, hopefully.
I've seen great bucks and taken a B&C buck from an area not known for trophies. The high PP areas are not the only ones with trophy potential.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Don't be too hasty in deciding. We have some winter issues popping up and may have significant winter kill in areas.
With your PP lots of great areas to hunt for a" trophy "buck and no high dollar guide is needed to judge them.
If score is most important then pay that guide but his estimate is only a guess till the buck hits the ground.

Give G&F til April to put out numbers and we'll know the extent of winter kill then, hopefully.
I've seen great bucks and taken a B&C buck from an area not known for trophies. The high PP areas are not the only ones with trophy potential.
I will certainly wait for the winter kill results prior to applying.
Also I'm not looking to shoot a buck with a certain score. I will shoot a buck that looks good to me one that I think is a big buck. I've seen a few and will just use that to judge weather or not I will try get in range to pull the trigger.
Another goal is to be able to take a doe or two in the same area or one that is close.

I am planning a wy archery hunt this year in east central. What areas are of concern with this years winter?

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 62 type 2 with your points is a good bet. That unit has some great bucks and you can access one of the better ranches for a trespass fee, although you don't need to have access to that place to find a great buck. Plenty of public land to hunt.
Thanks for the reply!

Jimss

WKR
If it were me, if you have the points I'd pick 62 type 1 over type 2. I've spent a lot of years in both 62-1 and 62-2. If it were me and I had the choice I'd jump on the 62-1 tag or possibly another unit in Central Wyo that is almost entirely public. There are very few sections of public on the 62 -2 side of the unit and the few public sections are hunted pretty hard. With a 62-1 tag you can hunt the entire unit 61 while if you draw 62-2 you are confined to hunting the few sections of public checkard board along the highway and tiny chunks of public to the north. The NE corner of 61-1 quarter of 61 is almost entirely public. The same north corner in 62-2 is mostly private or public that is cut off by private.

Buzz you are a real winner! You might ask Buzz how many times he has actually drawn a tag and hunted 62-2,.,,or set foot in it? Have I ever gone on the internet and broadcasted what units Buzz hunts? It takes a real looser to broadcast this on the web! Buzz, you certainly have a big chip on your shoulder trying everything in your power to spoil areas I hunt! You certainly are a heck of a nice guy! All I can say is I'm the better man!

Truth be told.....whether Buzz believes it or not I have NEVER called or tried to find out from the WG&F which units you hunt! I'm also NOT the guy that reported you to the WG&F that you were supposedly guiding without a guides license. Plain and simple....IT WASN"T ME!!!!!

Last edited:

Capra

Lil-Rokslider

Is determining what units had a tough winter a simple as looking at the tag number recommendations or would it be prudent to call DFG?

I'm burning points this year so I would hate to be uninformed.

Is there a basic area of the state that the winter kill was rough in?

Thanks!

Buschy

FNG
A word of wisdom. Buzz is one of the best hunters around and a good guy who has helped many people. When he gives advice, it is wise to listen.

If I had as many points as you do, I would aim to hunt WYoming Area 114, in the NoWater. North central. I was told by an outfitter that personally hunted there last year who saw 3 Antelope over 80" in a 4-day period. That said, I think that he knows the area pretty well.