Help Choose my Build

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been waiting and saving a while now to build my first all around western rifle. I’m a Midwest whitetail hunter that plans on getting out west multiple times in the next few years hunting mulies and elk and maybe even spring bear. We eventually will be moving out west when the opportunity with my company presents itself. I was looking heavily at building two guns ( one for pronghorn/mulies/whitetail and one for Elk/bear/moose) but I’ve decided on one do all rifle.

Edit- I want a gun that I can grow with in terms of distance and practice. I don’t shoot a ton, but plan on making this a priority. I’d like to eventually be confident @ 7-800yards.

Budget is 5k all in with glass and I’d like to stick with an XLR element 3.0 chassis. A folder is a must since I’m going to be hunting with my 9” Ti can. I’m not a hand loader (yet) but am not opposed to spending good money on premium ammo like Unknown munitions until I start loading my own.

Your advice is appreciated!!

Build 1- 7 Saum or 300wsm ??
- XLR with mags $900
- Tikka donor action $700,
- proof 22” prefit $850
- yo Davy spring $20
- cerakote and bolt fluting $200
- Sterk swept bolt handle and ball $110
- Spuhr tikka one piece mount $200
- Nightforce nx8 2.5x20 f2 $1900
Total ~ $4850 before tax

Build 2 - 28 nosler
- XLR $900
- Defiance Anti $1000
- triggertech special $200
- defiance picatinny aluminum $75
- carbon six 26” prefit $750
- spuhr rings $200
- leupold vx-5 4-20x52 $1700
Total ~ $4850

Build 3- 280ai
- XLR $900
- Defiance anti $1000
- triggertech special $200
- picatinny $75
- carbon six 24” prefit $750
- spuhr rings $200
- leupold vx5 3-15x44 $1000
Total ~ $4300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mi

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is your required lethal shooting distance on the animals you will be hunting? I personally would be doing a .308 build like the 300 WSM you mentioned, or a 30 Nosler...

I like build 1.... you can have a gun that will shoot .25” groups, but it’s useless if it loses zero or won’t track accurately.

OP
ChromeKype

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
What is your required lethal shooting distance on the animals you will be hunting? I personally would be doing a .308 build like the 300 WSM you mentioned, or a 30 Nosler...

I like build 1.... you can have a gun that will shoot .25” groups, but it’s useless if it loses zero or won’t track accurately.

See edit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For that range I don’t think a 338 is needed, but I would look at a .308 caliber in a long action.

If your going to be shooting long range I would also add a muzzle brake to the list.

You can find some more affordable rings than that also. Spurh makes nice stuff but some Hawkins would be just as good

OP
ChromeKype

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
For that range I don’t think a 338 is needed, but I would look at a .308 caliber in a long action.

If your going to be shooting long range I would also add a muzzle brake to the list.

You can find some more affordable rings than that also. Spurh makes nice stuff but some Hawkins would be just as good

I’d like to stay with my suppressor but that may change after a few trips in the backcountry.

I’ve thought about going with a 30 cal magnum but feel I’ll probably be hunting pronghorn, mulies, and whitetail a good bit more than elk.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, a 7mm 180vld is plenty for elk out to 800. If you run numbers, you have to get a big 300 to beat the ballistics of a 180 at 2950. And there is a lot less recoil to manage.

Its way more than needed for deer. Here are pics of what it did to a leg after passing through it from right behind the shoulder, exiting the gut and making a hamburger crater filled with grass. 730 yards.

I would go with build one in 7 saum with an 8.44 twist. 280 ai is just a little slower and less efficient.

Spuhr rings are overkill.

I shoot a 7 Sherman Short Mag, its an improved 7 Saum wildcat and shoots the 180 vld at 3060 with a 26" barrel. It is a true short action, can run in WSM mags. Killed everything with one shot except my elk, I put three in him while he stood there dying. Here's a couple videos.

20201212_141417.jpg20201212_135343.jpg20201213_112045.jpg

OP
ChromeKype

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, a 7mm 180vld is plenty for elk out to 800. If you run numbers, you have to get a big 300 to beat the ballistics of a 180 at 2950. And there is a lot less recoil to manage.

Its way more than needed for deer. Here are pics of what it did to a leg after passing through it from right behind the shoulder, exiting the gut and making a hamburger crater filled with grass. 730 yards.

I would go with build one in 7 saum with an 8.44 twist. 280 ai is just a little slower and less efficient.

Spuhr rings are overkill.

I shoot a 7 Sherman Short Mag, its an improved 7 Saum wildcat and shoots the 180 vld at 3060 with a 26" barrel. It is a true short action, can run in WSM mags. Killed everything with one shot except my elk, I put three in him while he stood there dying. Here's a couple videos.

View attachment 268300View attachment 268301View attachment 268302

Wow that is fantastic info! Thanks! Looks like I could get 2875 with the 180s from Unknown munitions (SAAMI spec COAL) with a 26” barrel, I wonder what it would be in a 22”.

This is what I am leaning towards, kind of afraid of blowing those little deer up though . Would a 140vld work for deer and the 180s for elk and larger? Or do most folks stick with one load?

If you don’t reload and only plan on one rifle to do it all I would 100% go with a 30 cal.

Especially if you want a short barrel, the bigger bore will give you more options to keep the speed up. I have a 7 SAUM and a 300 WSM. To be honest there is a difference with the 300 just hits harder. I prefer it for elk for sure and is not over kill at all for deer and lopes.

As mentioned above the shooter above said he put 3 shots in the elk with the 7 SAUM- all the elk shot with my 300 wsm fell over at the first shot 😆.

Also as mentioned there is way more factory ammo available for the 300 WSM since you don’t reload. You don’t want to waste expenses ammo on barrel break in or fouler shots.

If you build off a Tikka the WSM case is better suited for the “medium “ action length and can get more powder. The SAUM and Sherman Shorts are maximized for a true short action and max COAL <3.00”

Last edited:
OP
ChromeKype

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Man that’s hard to argue with. I am really close to going this route as well. My thoughts are that to truly maximize the tikka action I’d have to ream the bore out a bit and use the long action mags for the chassis. It’d be sweet to run the 215s or 199 hammers. But with this set up I’d have to reload, which will happen here shortly so I’m not opposed to going this route, but wouldn’t I effectively turning a “do all” rifle into a pretty niche gun that crushes elk but doesn’t shoot the lighter stuff like 140s or 162s.

Or am I worrying too much about “overkill” with the larger bullets?

204guy

WKR
I think you need to make a hard yes/no decision on the can. If yes no way I'd consider anything over 22" barrel for an all around gun that might get used close quarters for elk. 20" would probably be better. From your list 7 saum or 300 wsm.

Hard no on the Leupolds :)

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow that is fantastic info! Thanks! Looks like I could get 2875 with the 180s from Unknown munitions (SAAMI spec COAL) with a 26” barrel, I wonder what it would be in a 22”.

This is what I am leaning towards, kind of afraid of blowing those little deer up though . Would a 140vld work for deer and the 180s for elk and larger? Or do most folks stick with one load?

Stick with one load, IMO. And, maybe drop to the 168 to get velocity back up if you go saum.

PS: Look at the 7 Sherman Short Mag. I am gonna run it 22", and I will be above 2950 suppressed. You can still beat your budget for #1 and get the Sherman. Pretty sure you can get ammo made.

Origin 850 or (AnTi 900) 1000
XLR 900
Trigger Tech special 175
You don't need less than 1 pound
22" proof carbon fiber 700
Gunsmith 300
Rings 150
NX8 1700

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you don’t reload and only plan on one rifle to do it all I would 100% go with a 30 cal.

Especially if you want a short barrel, the bigger bore will give you more options to keep the speed up. I have a 7 SAUM and a 300 WSM. To be honest there is a difference with the 300 just hits harder. I prefer it for elk for sure and is not over kill at all for deer and lopes.

As mentioned above the shooter above said he put 3 shots in the elk with the 7 SAUM- all the elk shot with my 300 wsm fell over at the first shot 😆.

Also as mentioned there is way more factory ammo available for the 300 WSM since you don’t reload. You don’t want to waste expenses ammo on barrel break in or fouler shots.

If you build off a Tikka the WSM case is better suited for the “medium “ action length and can get more powder. The SAUM and Sherman Shorts are maximized for a true short action and max COAL <3.00”

What's your 300 wsm load?

Its illogical to compare single shots.

There is nothing magical to killing elk. They are not hard to kill. Put a bullet through both lungs and they die. Do it with a Berger, and there won't be tracking. Sometimes, they are dead but don't know it yet, thats the problem with big animals with lots of blood.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man that’s hard to argue with. I am really close to going this route as well. My thoughts are that to truly maximize the tikka action I’d have to ream the bore out a bit and use the long action mags for the chassis. It’d be sweet to run the 215s or 199 hammers. But with this set up I’d have to reload, which will happen here shortly so I’m not opposed to going this route, but wouldn’t I effectively turning a “do all” rifle into a pretty niche gun that crushes elk but doesn’t shoot the lighter stuff like 140s or 162s.

Or am I worrying too much about “overkill” with the larger bullets?

Use the gun you want and the bullet you want. Use shots behind the shoulder and you won't ruin lots of meat regardless of the bullet. A high double lung is a good shot for any game and a bullet like a Berger.

Lots of philosophy of bullets and placement out there. That is part of that decision. The 7mm is less recoil and is just a little easier to shoot well. You can't kill stuff you don't hit.

Go read the whole threads on hunting with a 77 grain Sierra tipped mk in .223 and the other with "match" bullets.

If I had to pick one it'd be a 7 SAUMish (SAUM, SS, 280ai, WSM, etc) cartridge. I feel like that is overkill for deer/antelope and sufficient for elk.

I would get a defiance anti regardless of chambering. I'm pretty sure you have to use AICS magazines regardless of action in the XLR and thought they were working on an XM length model as well.

I'd skip the leupold as well.

I'll say this about rifle budgets.. I've got a few customs that I wanted to save money on so I didn't get what I really wanted. I regret not just getting what I wanted on every one of them.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d order two barrels, right off the bat, if your going to buy a barrel burner as your one and only. And plan on practicing to be proficient that far.

Barrels are out almost a year now with most companies. I wouldn’t drag your feet finding one.

carter33

WKR
If you’re going with an XLR I would go with a 300wsm or 7saum to start and then depending on wether you go an XM or short action length you could always get another barreled action in a different cartridge to simply drop into the chassis and swap over scopes. Essentially have two customs with the second being maybe 1/3rd of the price especially if you use the same scope.

If the XLR chassis is what you like you could even in the long term do a 6.5 creedmor, 7saum and 300wsm all barreled short actions I believe and run the same scope and chassis.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If I had to pick one it'd be a 7 SAUMish (SAUM, SS, 280ai, WSM, etc) cartridge. I feel like that is overkill for deer/antelope and sufficient for elk.

I would get a defiance anti regardless of chambering. I'm pretty sure you have to use AICS magazines regardless of action in the XLR and thought they were working on an XM length model as well.

I'd skip the leupold as well.

I'll say this about rifle budgets.. I've got a few customs that I wanted to save money on so I didn't get what I really wanted. I regret not just getting what I wanted on every one of them.
Amen. I kept buying and selling comprimise rifles, until I realized I could sell them all and get one awesome rifle. I don't regret it for a minuute.

7mm and 300 are more than needed for deer and antelope. When it comes to deer regularly and an occasional elk, personally, I would get a 25 sst. It shoots the 131 at 3200 fps out of a 22" barrel. It shoots like a dream and contrary to popular belief, elk are not bullet proof. Put a 131 ACE or new 133 Berger into the lungs of an elk, it will die. The 257 weatherby and 264 win mag have been considered an elk cartridge.

Also, I won't hunt deer with my 7ss again, I have a 6 BRA getting finished. It will get the call most of the time, unless I want the extra zip of the 25 sst and I will have a barrel spun up.

Didn't someone say "Being Overgunned is Underated"???

I have killed do antelope with a 338 mag! There is no such thing as too dead, but very often the problems come with NOT DEAD ENOUGH :) Of course you don't need that for lopes but if you only have 1 rifle you need to go bigger. That said I have killed deer with a 223, and 22-250 as some of the minimalists like to point out work, but leave no room for error! I like to cover the margin of error in hunting!

My 300 wsm with 168 ttsx and a muzzle break recoils the same as my 7 saum with a 175 EOL. the 300 WSM goes a lot faster! Now for distance the high BC of the 7mm is better, but under 600 the wsm is nice.

That's my one hang up with a short 7 SAUM for a do it all. You aren't going to get the velocity out of it you are hoping for unless you go lighter bullet, maybe an absolute hammer.... I have a 24" barrel and have to push it to get 2875 fps with the 175 eol. the 300 wsm get 3200 fps...

So if shoot a suppressor go 20" 300 WSM and kill everything dead. Now if you had left off elk then the 7mm would be just fine.(of course it will kill elk)

Last edited: