Help Choose my Build

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Didn't someone say "Being Overgunned is Underated"???

I have killed do antelope with a 338 mag! There is no such thing as too dead, but very often the problems come with NOT DEAD ENOUGH :) Of course you don't need that for lopes but if you only have 1 rifle you need to go bigger. That said I have killed deer with a 223, and 22-250 as some of the minimalists like to point out work, but leave no room for error! I like to cover the margin of error in hunting!

My 300 wsm with 168 ttsx and a muzzle break recoils the same as my 7 saum with a 175 EOL. the 300 WSM goes a lot faster! Now for distance the high BC of the 7mm is better, but under 600 the wsm is nice.

That's my one hang up with a short 7 SAUM for a do it all. You aren't going to get the velocity out of it you are hoping for unless you go lighter bullet, maybe an absolute hammer.... I have a 24" barrel and have to push it to get 2875 fps with the 175 eol. the 300 wsm get 3200 fps...

So if shoot a suppressor go 20" 300 WSM and kill everything dead. Now if you had left off elk then the 7mm would be just fine.(of course it will kill elk)
So you think the velocity difference between a 7 saum with 180 and 300 wsm with a 168 means that much between and almost dead?

No one has convinced me of that.

So you think the velocity difference between a 7 saum with 180 and 300 wsm with a 168 means that much between and almost dead?

No one has convinced me of that.
It will probably not make a big difference either way, so for that we should just forget the whole matter and Go for the obvious and the do it all wonder cartridge —

Just Build a 6.5 Creedmoor!!!!!😂

Scotto

WKR
Build #3, for the caliber, with the scope from #1. Couple hundred over the budget, but hey it's a NF.

Going back on "regret not getting what you want the first time" - My regrets are typically not paying for the action/stock/barrel I want.

I've never regretted spending $120 for seekins rings vs $180+ for ARC, SPUHR, etc. Don't think id regret foregoing ceracote on stainless either as long as it isn't polished stainless. Think i'll rattle can the shiny stainless part of a new bartlien carbon and be happy I didnt' spend $ on ceracote. I also wouldn't want to buy a tikka action and modify it to the point it costs more than a defiance anti or lone peak razor either.

Antares

WKR
I’d do the Tikka in 300wsm with the VX5, but I’d also do a carbon stock over the chassis, so we may not be on the same page.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Going back on "regret not getting what you want the first time" - My regrets are typically not paying for the action/stock/barrel I want.

I've never regretted spending $120 for seekins rings vs $180+ for ARC, SPUHR, etc. Don't think id regret foregoing ceracote on stainless either as long as it isn't polished stainless. Think i'll rattle can the shiny stainless part of a new bartlien carbon and be happy I didnt' spend $ on ceracote. I also wouldn't want to buy a tikka action and modify it to the point it costs more than a defiance anti or lone peak razor either.
That's exactly the thing, there are custom actions that are relatively inexpensive. I would take an 850 Origin over a Tikka any day. With a Hunts Long Range recoil lug, you can use TL3 prefits on an Origin.

WKR
Tenacity action $935
Hawk Hill barrel $370
Trigger around $200
Hawkins bottom metal $180
Seekins rail and rings $250
Chassis?
Gunsmith $400
Atacr Scope $2050
Total $4185 but missing chassis price

I'd go 7mm Remington at 20-21" finished length.

Guess you can delete the bottom metal if going chassis. I never use those so forgot that. $4005 not counting chassis.

Last edited:
I’ve been waiting and saving a while now to build my first all around western rifle. I’m a Midwest whitetail hunter that plans on getting out west multiple times in the next few years hunting mulies and elk and maybe even spring bear. We eventually will be moving out west when the opportunity with my company presents itself. I was looking heavily at building two guns ( one for pronghorn/mulies/whitetail and one for Elk/bear/moose) but I’ve decided on one do all rifle.

Edit- I want a gun that I can grow with in terms of distance and practice. I don’t shoot a ton, but plan on making this a priority. I’d like to eventually be confident @ 7-800yards.

Budget is 5k all in with glass and I’d like to stick with an XLR element 3.0 chassis. A folder is a must since I’m going to be hunting with my 9” Ti can. I’m not a hand loader (yet) but am not opposed to spending good money on premium ammo like Unknown munitions until I start loading my own.

Your advice is appreciated!!

Build 1- 7 Saum or 300wsm ??
- XLR with mags $900
- Tikka donor action $700,
- proof 22” prefit $850
- yo Davy spring $20
- cerakote and bolt fluting $200
- Sterk swept bolt handle and ball $110
- Spuhr tikka one piece mount $200
- Nightforce nx8 2.5x20 f2 $1900
Total ~ $4850 before tax

Build 2 - 28 nosler
- XLR $900
- Defiance Anti $1000
- triggertech special $200
- defiance picatinny aluminum $75
- carbon six 26” prefit $750
- spuhr rings $200
- leupold vx-5 4-20x52 $1700
Total ~ $4850

Build 3- 280ai
- XLR $900
- Defiance anti $1000
- triggertech special $200
- picatinny $75
- carbon six 24” prefit $750
- spuhr rings $200
- leupold vx5 3-15x44 $1000
Total ~ $4300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mi
I like your lineup but I'll add a few suggestions after doing quite a few builds.

1. Don't go less than 22" for a LR hunting setup

2. Absolutely go with a medium or LA Anti action

3. If you're set on 7mm consider the 7 wsm, I have one with a 22" barrel built on an Anti and send 195's 2850 at 3.2" oal with RL26

4. It seems you want to go lightweight, ditch the chassis and get a McMillan Game scout with edge fill or a carbon hunter from Alterra Arms, you'll be around 27 oz and they can be had for about $500-600

5. I was really disappointed with the NX8 4-32, I have a mk5 5-25 and its a better scope that's much easier to get behind

6. I don't care what anyone says a 30 cal hits alot harder than a 7mm period.
I've killed elk with both, and at LR I'll take a 300 wsm with 215s any day over a 7mm.
If you keep your shots on elk inside 700 yards then a 7mm with 180's or 195's would be great.

Good luck 👍

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
300 mag of your liking.winchester,wby,prc.for what your doing and possibly more.all up with scope bout 8.5 lbs.3 countour fluted or a liitle less.balance and carry feel in your hands priceless.