Help choosing a domain name

I'm looking to start marketing myself in my professional career and wanted to buy a web address with my name in it but it's not available. There are a couple variations of my name that are still available and wanted some advice on which one I should use.

I'm not going to give out my real name but let's say my full name is James Paul Hunter. Jameshunter.com is taken. My other options would be these:

1. Jamespaulhunter.com
2. Jamesphunter.com
3. James-hunter.com

Which should I use?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I just went with my last name... http://skaanland.net/ The guy who has .com wont sell it.

You could do Firstname.Lastname.com and just run it as a subdomain for example John.Skaanland.net

OP
Y
Haha well my name is very biblical, so standard classic names, nothing odd.

I'd like to stay with a .com, and my last name only isnt available.

As a marketing professional I would have to understand the nature of the business and know your name in order to provide reliable information. Too many variables here. Being instantly recognized, memorable and easy to find via Google search are all priorities. If you select a URL that is similar to several others you just shot yourself in the foot.

Reactions: ODB

Vaultman

WKR
As a marketing professional I would have to understand the nature of the business and know your name in order to provide reliable information. Too many variables here. Being instantly recognized, memorable and easy to find via Google search are all priorities. If you select a URL that is similar to several others you just shot yourself in the foot.
+1.
how about: jhunter.com or jphunter.com
mrjameshunter.com (or ms)

There are always tons of options. Also if you local to an area that can be added, for instance NYC to a New York City business.

OP
Y
I'm in the management consulting industry...the idea is to use my linked in profile to write business pieces that link to a blog on my own website with my name. This will help me with broadcasting my expertise to other consulting firms that would want to hire me and to gain new clients and then longer term build a brand for myself to go independent or to be used as a resume of sorts for potential partners and investors for some side projects I'm ramping up.

The jhunter.com and jphunter.com equivalents are taken.

The guy who pops up when you type in "jameshunter.com" is a preacher in florida...everything after that is pretty random.

elkyinzer

WKR
huntergroup, hunterconsulting, hunterllc, hunterandco, hunterandcompany, hunterandassociates, jhconsulting. Sounds way more legit.

ODB

WKR

100% by not telling us anything about who you are and the industry you are in it’s pretty tough.

And buy a .com address, not .net, .US, .patriot, .biz, or anything schlocky.