Help choosing a rifle for a southpaw

khunter20

FNG
I know its been discussed time and time again as far as which caliber is better but I'm looking for a new deer/antelope rifle with MAYBE the occasional spike/cow elk. I have really been eyeballing a CA Ridgeline in 7mm-08 but on the other hand picking up another tikka and customizing it to my liking wouldn't be a bad choice either. The problem is tikka doesn't offer 7mm-08 to lefties and if they did this wouldn't even be a question, so the tikka 6.5 cm would be the closest thing. I have heard good things about the 6.5 as well, I really just haven't bought into the hype yet but I also don't know much about it. With that being said which would you choose? CA Ridgeline in 7mm-08 or Tikka 6.5cm and customize it. With what I would do to the tikka, the cost between the two would be close.

Last edited:

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
I am left handed as well but can shoot either way. I’m kinda goofy- write left, throw left, shoot bow right, golf right, prefer to shoot rifle left. That being said, my Dad was right handed so I always shot right handed rifles so I just buy right handed. Besides, if you ever decide to get rid of one, it’s much easier.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
With your paramaters, a tikka 6.5 creedmoor would certainly fit your needs. And if you are not buying the hype of the creedmoor, the same rifle in a 308 would also be effective. I am a lefty and the tikka would be my first choice.

Randy

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
I am left handed as well but can shoot either way. I’m kinda goofy- write left, throw left, shoot bow right, golf right, prefer to shoot rifle left. That being said, my Dad was right handed so I always shot right handed rifles so I just buy right handed. Besides, if you ever decide to get rid of one, it’s much easier.
I don't disagree with you at all, I guess my logic is if I'm going to spend any decent money on a rifle its going to be the way I want it, I've never been much of a seller anyways, I look at it as the collection keeps growing.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I would get the Tikka in 6.5 CM, shoot it a bunch, and then have a Proof stainless 7mm-08 pre-fit screwed on if I still thought I needed to go bigger (carbon pre-fit if I wanted to spend more money and either replace the stock or do a lot of work on it). As one or more of my 10 thumbs would likely get in the way, I would probably have a gunsmith do the barrel replacement.

HunterEng

FNG
I'm assuming u want the stainless? They offer the hunter version in 7mm08. Gunbroker has 3 of them for sale.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
I'm assuming u want the stainless? They offer the hunter version in 7mm08. Gunbroker has 3 of them for sale.
Yeah ive thought about doing that, im assuming the action is the same exact as the t3x stainless correct?

HunterEng

FNG
Yeah ive thought about doing that, im assuming the action is the same exact as the t3x stainless correct?
I have only handled a bit in a store....but from what I can remember it is the same, just not stainless. If ur going to coat the gun anyway, I wouldn't be afraid.

One vote for Ridgeline. Just strongly feel it's a whole lot more rifle. I recently took my 2nd plunge into Tikka with a LH Superlite from the Warehouse in 7mm Mag. Just can't warm up to it.

If you are a dedicated Left eye dominant, left handed shooter...don't ever slum a RH rifle attempting to make it work.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
One vote for Ridgeline. Just strongly feel it's a whole lot more rifle. I recently took my 2nd plunge into Tikka with a LH Superlite from the Warehouse in 7mm Mag. Just can't warm up to it.

If you are a dedicated Left eye dominant, left handed shooter...don't ever slum a RH rifle attempting to make it work.
I agree, I have never owned a righty and never will. It sure is inconvenient being a lefty in the rifle world though!

Also realize many run from the Creed because it's the In Thing and people tout it to be the second coming. Totally get it. BUT....it does check your boxes, is available in more options than the 7-08 also. And EVERYTHING is readily available. Bullets, Brass, Loaded Ammo