Help choosing ideal chambering/rifle to shoot lead free projectiles.

OP
G
Here is mine with a 3x15 on it.
Looking good! I gave mine a pretty aggressive free float and added a vertical grip. Shot it for the first time yesterday and am pleased so far. The trigger is the best I've felt out of the box and accuracy seems promising. Mine seemed to like the 80gr TTSX quite well. Didn't get to shoot it as much as I'd like as I was setting up some rifles for family members and friends as well.

I'll admit I've not used those bullets, but what I have read is their BC is likely inflated enough that you may easily be at 1900fps at 500 yards not 600 using your muzzle velocity. Youd really wanna do your own validation before trusting that information. Just an FYI.
Yes, I’ve validated with muzzle drops. I personally give myself about 100 fps cushion as well.

Bluefish

WKR
I have also looked into the .25-06 some. The lack of factory rifles with adequate twist is an issue. The 6cm has a lot going for it but there isn't many quality and affordable rifle options outside of the custom route. Pretty much only the Ruger American and Howa 1500 unless I'm mistaken? The 1:8 twist tikka in .243win would be nice but doesn't have the best factory ammo options (no lrx). I was hoping to find something with lower recoil but something in 6.5 PRC or the Browning X-bolt Speed LR with the 1:7 twist in .270win seem like front runners atm. Reloading is looking more and more like a necessity.
I just ordered a 7.5 twist 25-06 for my Tikka. Should work fine with the 80g ttsx or the new 130+g from Hornady and Berger. Barnes data with the 80g is 3700+, plenty of speed to make copper work.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a 7.5 twist 25-06 for my Tikka. Should work fine with the 80g ttsx or the new 130+g from Hornady and Berger. Barnes data with the 80g is 3700+, plenty of speed to make copper work.
101 LRX would probably be in the 3400 range.

SouthPaw

WKR
I'll admit I've not used those bullets, but what I have read is their BC is likely inflated enough that you may easily be at 1900fps at 500 yards not 600 using your muzzle velocity. Youd really wanna do your own validation before trusting that information. Just an FYI.
True. Don't just believe what a calculator spits out.

I just loaded and trued three rifles with Hammers, two 6.5cm/124g and a 7rm/143g. All three the BC was far lower than advertised. 124g waterline around .208 g7 and the 143g was .190 or so. They are not good in wind and I wouldn't advise shooting game at distance with them. I'm up to ten or eleven rifles I've loaded hammers for, all have been severely optimistic on the manufacturer's "estimated BC".

Bluefish

WKR
True. Don't just believe what a calculator spits out.

I just loaded and trued three rifles with Hammers, two 6.5cm/124g and a 7rm/143g. All three the BC was far lower than advertised. 124g waterline around .208 g7 and the 143g was .190 or so. They are not good in wind and I wouldn't advise shooting game at distance with them. I'm up to ten or eleven rifles I've loaded hammers for, all have been severely optimistic on the manufacturer's "estimated BC".
I agree, they have been optimistic in my testing as well. Almost seems like they forgot to account for the hollow point. I have wanted to test the tipped versions to see if they run truer to published BC. when I tested, the small HP was much closer to actual that the large HP version.

TeaGull

FNG
In CA, DRT will require to ship boxes of component bullets (Not Loaded Ammo) to an FFL, FYI.... At least last year when i ordered a couple hundred.