Help choosing new sight

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to outfit my new bow with a 5 pin sight . Any recommendations out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
Looking to outfit my new bow with a 5 pin sight . Any recommendations out there?

Love my black gold that I custom ordered to my specs and budget.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been running the wrapped Spot Hogg Hunter 7-pin now for the past several years. It's simple, it's functional, and it's durable. It's been through a lot of abuse and tough conditions and I've never had to adjust it after it was set. I did break my 70 yard pin last year during the season, but that's an easy fix. My bow slid down a scree slope about 50 yards a few years ago, and everything was fine.....the bow, the sight, the rest, the quiver, and arrows. That's what I set my bows up for.....durability......and performance.

OP
L

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Do the black gold or the spot Hogg have individual clicks when adjusting up/down and LR. I played w a few sights at the store the other day and noticed the independent click function when adjusting seemed like a great function

kicker338

WKR
Can't help you on a pin sight, my spot hog is laying on the shelf and might be up for sale. I went to an EZV sight about 2 months ago on a give it a try then send it back if I don't like it. Put on my bow and have never looked back. If I never see a pin sight again that will be too soon.

mtnhntr

WKR
I shoot a 7 pin wrapped Spot Hogg (built off the Real Deal frame) and love it. I liked how I could remove pins if needed.

I've been running the wrapped Spot Hogg Hunter 7-pin now for the past several years. It's simple, it's functional, and it's durable. It's been through a lot of abuse and tough conditions and I've never had to adjust it after it was set. I did break my 70 yard pin last year during the season, but that's an easy fix. My bow slid down a scree slope about 50 yards a few years ago, and everything was fine.....the bow, the sight, the rest, the quiver, and arrows. That's what I set my bows up for.....durability......and performance.

I use 5 pin SH Hunters too. Bulletproof. The top pins are bigger in diameter than the lower ones. Go small on those or they cover your target and kill accuracy.

No they don't. The best long range groups I've ever shot was with .029" pins. Pin float also shows up more with smaller pins.

As you can see...opinions vary. I used to have all 29s (thought I was the only one) but the 50 & 60 yard pins completely covered up the center circle of the target. Then I modified the sight using decreasing pin sizes my groups improved. Your mileage may vary. Maybe some others will chime in here.

(Click to enlarge)

pin-size1.jpg

Edit: Just for fun I posted a pin size poll on board filled with diehard western bow hunters. These guys aren't sitting in a treestand. They are burning boot leather chasing, elk, deer, hogs and bear. Pin Poll

Last edited:

Dameon

WKR
I have a 5 pin Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg and a custom 5 pin Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL on the way. I like being able to rely on my fixed pins for shots within 50 yards and having the option to dial in the yardage for longer shots. My Tommy has been the best sight I have every used and is the most durable bar none......but it is a boat anchor. I'm hoping my new Fast Eddie XL will be just as durable but lighter. I'm currently in week 6 of my 4-6 week wait and I'm expecting a shipping notification from Spot Hogg or SandS Archery any time now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
As you can see...opinions vary. I used to have all 29s (thought I was the only one) but the 50 & 60 yard pins completely covered up the center circle of the target.

I will say that if I was shooting at a 6" target at 100 yards (and that's the entire target) it could be more difficult. But even a .029" pin at 100 on a 90m target face or even a big game animal target face will allow you to shoot using proportions and relative position for accuracy. The center of your larger pin will still be in the same spot even though the outside circle of the pin will be further out than the middle.

Think of an extreme example where the upper part of your pin is touching the top of the back on a bull, and the lower part is touching the bottom of his chest. You can still accurately place the center of that pin where you want it, and be very accurate doing so.

lee peet

FNG
Im just getting a new site to and have decided on a hha kingpin single pin site. Wanted a multi pin like the op but have decided to try a single. Its a sweet site!