HELP. Colorado Elk

jog

FNG
Everyone is going to try to steer you away from "their" spot, whether it is the game unit they hunt, or the state they hunt.

Not sure I agree with that sweeping statement if you actually mean we re-direct people. No we don't name names but I do not believe many of us spend much time sending people to places we don't hunt or fish ourselves as a way to preserve our area.

I suggest asking yourself what kind of country you want to hunt in: do you prefer arid rolling high country, thick timber, or alpine meadows above tree line? Colorado and the Rocky Mtns are a large and diverse chunk of country that offers a wide range of physical and visual experiences that differ greatly from one area to the next. So first choose your topography. Then focus on locating elk areas etc and see where it takes you. Good luck.

KHNC

WKR
Here we go again for the millionth time. My advice is to hire a guide so you don't have to work very hard like you said.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
THis is exactly how i did it back in 2001. Hired a guide for several years until i was remotely confident on DIY. Only then did i attempt it without one.

BTW, I see nothing wrong with taking an afternoon "off" and doing a little fishing. I've done that on nearly every hunt so far. Sometimes your brain needs a rest from the constant glassing and scanning the woods and hillsides, and your body needs a rest from the stalking and climbing. It's a good way to reset and relax.

MAC1585

FNG
To me the beauty of Colorado is the OTC tags. Just a few minutes a day researching a unit between now and then can get ya an idea of where you would like to start. If you don’t like the area it’s as easy as moving to a different unit next year until you find “your secret spot”. I’ve hunted several units in Colorado and got elk in all of them, but remember y’all don’t need to kill an elk to have the adventure of a lifetime.

bascott1

WKR
I understand that. But I also don’t want to waste my time and money when I could be better prepared and be in a successful GMU. I love the hunt but I don’t want to drive the 24+ hours and pull up to the unexpected. I can do all the research I want but personal experience given is always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know how many people on this forum have drove 24+ hours and pulled up to a trailhead into the unexpected. My bet is A LOT, thats how you learn. Come to terms with that fact and go have fun learning a new place.

My group did our first elk hunt last year. Drove 25+ hours and did all of our scouting and planning from afar. Just do some planning and dont worry about it too much. You wont find much help as far finding a gmu or hunting spot is concerned in forums. Just pick something that stands out to you and go. First trip is a simply an educational trip with a weapon and hopefully you trip over what you're hunting.