Help - Colorado GMU 41

DLogan17

FNG
Good afternoon everyone,

I am an adult onset hunter who has never had a good mentor or hunting partner. I killed a few whitetails when I was a young kid in Alabama/Tennessee, but have yet to kill a muley, and the whitetails were 30 years ago.

I have hunted Colorado the last 4 years. The first year was basically me sleeping in my truck with no gear but some regular cold weather gear and my rifle. I have invested more in gear each year, and this is the first year I'm feeling truly prepared. Last year I finally had a little payoff in GMU 33 and landed a nice buck in my sights, but passed on taking the shot because the Walmart range finder I had at the time quit working at the most inopportune moment possible.

I moved to Mesa, smack in the middle of GMU 41 in November and have seen lots of elk and deer since. Until a few weeks ago, when the cattle came back all the wildlife disappeared.

Since I moved here I have been spending time getting to know the GMU, lots of E-Scouting and time on my ATV. I think that Kannah Creek would be a good place to try, but I imagine it will be full of elk hunters.

Not asking for any secret spots, but does anyone have any advice, tips, locations, or local knowledge they would share with me? I'd like to not strike out for the 5th year in a row, its getting hard to explain all the purchases to the lady when I have an empty freezer!

This is going to sound mean, but I genuinely don't mean it to be. The best advice you'll get is as follows:
1. Don't expect asking questions on the internet to help with anything. People who give out spots on the web are either misleading or incompetent.
2. Spent a ridiculous amount of time out scouting. 100+ hours behind glass on a tripod yearly, or more.
3. Test every theory you have about where to find them, learn from it, and adjust accordingly.
4. Don't tell anyone what you learn, least of all on the internet! Keep it secret, keep it safe.

If it's too much to figure out on your own, it's not for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR

Not asking for any secret spots
, but does anyone have any advice, tips, locations, or local knowledge they would share with me? I'd like to not strike out for the 5th year in a row, its getting hard to explain all the purchases to the lady when I have an empty freezer!

Huh

sndmn11

WKR
You know where they are in the late winter. Find them in the summer, connect the dots a few different logical ways, pick one of those connections in the fall, hunt it, dress your game or pick a different one.