Help deciding on 44 Mag

jjw1

FNG
Hoping for some help,

I western hunt and have hunted with both EXO and Mystery Ranch. Recently I bought a Kifaru Shape Charge for some EDC (I hate that phrase) and I am very impressed with the quality. I am considering getting the 44 Mag for all my hunts and want to know if anyone thinks it's worth it. I know everyone has a brand loyalty etc. but the 44 Mag looks extremely well built and versatile. Honestly, I also want to stop buying and trying pacts and have a do-it-all system. (sorry for the convoluted question).

I am open to your input and would greatly appreciate it. I han archery mule deer hunt, muzzle loader elk and archery elk hunt this year for more info...

Thanks in advance...

Well this isn't an answer to your question and not sure if this helps but just wanted you to know you are not alone in wanting to explore these packs. I've used a few of the top end packs and I just decided to order a 44 mag and frame recently to see what all the fuss was about. I won't have mine for a couple more weeks and I haven't ever actually used one but everyone loves Kifaru packs and figured I was missing out. I have a Kuiu 3600, Exo K2 5500 and 2000, and have used SG Solo which I ended up selling. I've had good experiences with my Exo and Kuiu but figured some variety would be nice haha

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Well this isn't an answer to your question and not sure if this helps but just wanted you to know you are not alone in wanting to explore these packs. I've used a few of the top end packs and I just decided to order a 44 mag and frame recently to see what all the fuss was about. I won't have mine for a couple more weeks and I haven't ever actually used one but everyone loves Kifaru packs and figured I was missing out. I have a Kuiu 3600, Exo K2 5500 and 2000, and have used SG Solo which I ended up selling. I've had good experiences with my Exo and Kuiu but figured some variety would be nice haha
Thanks unclericco, glad to know I am not alone! haha If you think of it, please shoot me your thoughts on your pack when you get it. Like I said, I have a shape charge and it's honestly impressive.

pc3

WKR
I also have the 44 mag and 26" Tac Frame. I am yet to use mine but have loaded it up and tried it around the house, I cannot describe how how much better it feels with weight in it than the Eberelstock GS2 felt (which I sold) felt without weight !

I thought I had my heart set on a Fulcrum but the 44 came on special and thats the way I jumped, i'll add the bigger pack down the track. I think that it is a great "Malcolm in the middle pack" I will be firstly using mine as a day pack and I wont have to play tetrus, I can dump everything in with room to spare and it cinches down well I think. Organisation is good.

I think you will be happy.

Last edited:
OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Awesome! Thank you both! This will be the most money I have ever spent on a pack no-one has used yet! haha (kidding).

Seriously, thanks for the input. I am gonna pull the trigger and give it a shot!

9Line

FNG
I have the 44 mag, and have used it, and I can honestly say that’s it’s my favorite pack of theirs by far. I have 6 kifaru packs and this will be my go to archery elk pack for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
I ordered today, down-right giddy to get my hands on the stuff! 4 weeks according to them. That will put it here a week or two before my first elk hunt.

Anybody running the Bane pack with it as a final approach bag?

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 44 with a sherman pocket and 2 small belt pouches. I love the pack and switched over from SG because I liked the pockets and inherent organizational abilities of the pack without having to use so many individual stuff sacks and bags. I use the Sherman as a grab-it for my bow and a final approach pack just to throw a nalgene in if I get pinned down for a while. I don't use a spotting scope so one side pocket holds my rain gear, emergency tarp and some stakes. The other side pocket will hold my possibles pouch and a thermacell during scouting season. The inside mesh pockets are where I keep my puffy, hoody and long underwear for sleeping. I pretty much only archery hunt so I don't carry a ton of clothing other than a merino t-shirt, sitka lightweight hoody, heavyweight hoody, Kelvin lite and raingear.

The only downside for me is weight. It's heavy- I played around with a Hoodlum last weekend at TAC and it was much lighter.

pc3

WKR
I ordered today, down-right giddy to get my hands on the stuff! 4 weeks according to them. That will put it here a week or two before my first elk hunt.

Anybody running the Bane pack with it as a final approach bag?

Sherman Pocket, 1 x medium belt pouch and 1 x gen 1 nalgene holder on mine.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up my first Kifaru (22 mag) in 2015. First hunt realized what I had been missing out on. I picked up a reckoning two years ago and like it but didn’t love the organization. My 44 mag I just got has been great through bear season and scouting trips. If I was only going to have one it would be the 44 mag. Bite the bullet. You’ll love it so much that you have to hop on forums just to tell people how awesome they are.

Let us know what your impressions are when you’ve had some time in with the 44mag. Boots and packs are among our most important
Pieces of hunting kit. IMHO you can’t go wrong with the 44 mag. I’ve owned 6 Kifaru packs and they just keep getting better. The real secret sauce is their belt system. Nobody does that better than Kifaru.

Brendan

WKR
A little late, but I wouldn't call the 44 Mag a "Do It All" Pack - it's not big enough IMO. But, if you don't need the volume, it's a nice pack for mid-range trips. Where you'll run into trouble is if you have a larger volume of food and gear for a longer trip, or if you're trying to do something like pack out a deer or part of an Elk plus your camp. I've been in scenarios where the 44 Mag would have gotten me in, but I would have had to make another 8 mile round trip to get everything out if I was using a pack that size.

Do-it-all pack, I'd be looking at the EMRII (used), Fulcrum, Hoodlum, as you can make them smaller, but can't make a 44 Mag Bigger.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 22 mag gen 2 and love it. 20/20 hindsight, I might have gotten the 44 mag but I can do 6 days out of the 22 mag and that’s good enough for me. With work I’m lucky to string together 4 days at a time. I think you’ll be very happy with the 44.

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Thank you everyone for your input! Should have been on this forum long time ago!

I have noticed a pattern with Kifaru packs and it seems no one can own just one! I am going to build a better sleep system next, can’t wait to hear all the input on that!

I’ll post pics of my hunts with my 44 mag when it gets here, hopefully full on a pack-out!

Thanks again to everyone for their time!

The 44 is probably the perfect pack for a max of probably five days depending on how many Oeros you pack. Run a Claymore 2 on the bottom, a large or medium above that and a Sherman.
I was dumb and sold mine
Went to a MA Duce for more room for packing in for a couple weeks... Oh okay I like to eat... A lot. I had a hard time fitting five or six days of food in my 44.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
The 44 is probably the perfect pack for a max of probably five days depending on how many Oeros you pack. Run a Claymore 2 on the bottom, a large or medium above that and a Sherman.
I was dumb and sold mine
Went to a MA Duce for more room for packing in for a couple weeks... Oh okay I like to eat... A lot. I had a hard time fitting five or six days of food in my 44.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
A man's gotta eat!