Help deciding on tent for Montana Early season elk

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
So I have an early season archery hunt planned for Montana for the first part of September. The plan is for 3 of us to backpack in and set up camp for 3-5 days and then possibly hike back out and move to a new location. I need help deciding on a tent. It will just be me sleeping in the tent, and I would like to keep it pretty lightweight but don’t want to skimp on a tent that will make sleeping uncomfortable. Right now these are the main tents I’ve been considering. Nemo Hornet 2P, Nemo Dragonfly 1P, Big Agnes Tiger Wall 2P, Big Agnes Fly Creek 2P, Big Agnes Seed House 2P, Big Agnes Copper Spur 1P. Might possibly consider the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2P but it would be at the top of my budget. Any personal experience or feedback on these tents would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on staying multiple nights in one location, I’d definitely lean towards a 2-person free-standing tent. That extra room will be more benefit than the cost of a little bit of extra weight.

bsnedeker

WKR
I think the Nemo 2P is basically the gold standard for free standing 2P tents....in my opinion anyway.

Just make sure you get a side entry tent with some good vestibules. Stay away from front entry tents like the plague.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan on staying multiple nights in one location, I’d definitely lean towards a 2-person free-standing tent. That extra room will be more benefit than the cost of a little bit of extra weight.
That was kind of my thinking as well. Thank you for the feedback.

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Nemo 2P is basically the gold standard for free standing 2P tents....in my opinion anyway.

Just make sure you get a side entry tent with some good vestibules. Stay away from front entry tents like the plague.

The Nemo Hornet 2P has been the one I’m strongly leaning toward. Just want to make sure it will hold up to any rain we might encounter. Thank you for the information.

bsnedeker

WKR
The Nemo Hornet 2P has been the one I’m strongly leaning toward. Just want to make sure it will hold up to any rain we might encounter. Thank you for the information.
Rain is not a problem. One of my hunting buddies has one. He's spent a full day in it while we were out spring bear hunting due to rain.

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
Rain is not a problem. One of my hunting buddies has one. He's spent a full day in it while we were out spring bear hunting due to rain.

That’s great to know. Thank you for sharing this!

sneaky

"DADDY"

Except it's only semi-freestanding. I'd take a TarpTent Scarp 1 over the Hornet. I've had a Hornet before, that semi-freestanding coupled with thin fabrics wasn't my cup of tea. In the price range of tents mentioned the Scarp fits right in, unless the OP has access to discounts through those brands. At this point, stock of anything is the issue. I'd take a Dragonfly over the Hornet 8 days a week if limited to those choices of brands. At least it's truly freestanding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
Except it's only semi-freestanding. I'd take a TarpTent Scarp 1 over the Hornet. I've had a Hornet before, that semi-freestanding coupled with thin fabrics wasn't my cup of tea. In the price range of tents mentioned the Scarp fits right in, unless the OP has access to discounts through those brands. At this point, stock of anything is the issue. I'd take a Dragonfly over the Hornet 8 days a week if limited to those choices of brands. At least it's truly freestanding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. Would really like to stick with Nemo or BA. But I will take a look at the TarpTent Scarp 1. If I go with a Nemo, I think I will strongly consider the Dragonfly 2P. Looks to be a little better constructed with more room.

Gone4Days

WKR
Seems like you’ve narrowed it down to a few great options. Now you’ll just have to pick one. Personally, I use a BA Copper Spur 1P if I want freestanding. If not, I use my Zpacks Duplex which is the bee’s knees. It packs down to the size of 1/2 gallon of milk and 19 oz.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I have the hornet 2p. I love the tent but the material is too light imo. Heavy weather and it’s almost wetting through. Early season, mild weather, it’s great.

Look into the SlingFin Portal. It’s a little bit heavier than the Copper Spur but if you watch the product videos it has the ability to incorporate your trecking poles to increase the load rating if you are caught in a snow storm. SlingFin makes the tents for Stone Glacier. I have the SplitWing for scouting or fast and light trips. I will be getting the portal as soon as it is back in stock.

The Kuiu Mountain Star is absolutely fantastic. The new updated version is even better. You cannot get better features, including external pole pitch like a Hilleberg, for anywhere near the weight. Storm worthiness and ventilation are both excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like you’ve narrowed it down to a few great options. Now you’ll just have to pick one. Personally, I use a BA Copper Spur 1P if I want freestanding. If not, I use my Zpacks Duplex which is the bee’s knees. It packs down to the size of 1/2 gallon of milk and 19 oz.
I’ve read and heard a lot of great things about the copper spur. Do you ever feel like there’s not enough room in your Copper Spur 1P? Thanks for sharing.

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
I have the hornet 2p. I love the tent but the material is too light imo. Heavy weather and it’s almost wetting through. Early season, mild weather, it’s great.
I’ve watched a few videos about this and it’s one reason I’m considering other options. It looks like a great tent other than that. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
Look into the SlingFin Portal. It’s a little bit heavier than the Copper Spur but if you watch the product videos it has the ability to incorporate your trecking poles to increase the load rating if you are caught in a snow storm. SlingFin makes the tents for Stone Glacier. I have the SplitWing for scouting or fast and light trips. I will be getting the portal as soon as it is back in stock.
I will definitely check these out and consider them as well. Thank you for the recommendation!
I will definitely look into these and take them into consideration. Thank you for the recommendation!

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu Mountain Star is absolutely fantastic. The new updated version is even better. You cannot get better features, including external pole pitch, like a Hilleberg, but half the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll check into the Kuiu Mountain Star as well. Thank you for another great recommendation!

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Big agnes makes good stuff. I've ran their bags, pads, and tents for years. I looked at Nemo but one video of the hornet in wind steered me clear. Kuiu makes good tents, but id go with Big Sky International over kuiu. I run tarptent atm and have zero complaints.

OP
K

KamronG7

Lil-Rokslider
Big agnes makes good stuff. I've ran their bags, pads, and tents for years. I looked at Nemo but one video of the hornet in wind steered me clear. Kuiu makes good tents, but id go with Big Sky International over kuiu. I run tarptent atm and have zero complaints.
Nemo looks like a good setup but my gut is telling me to go with a BA tent. It will probably come down to whatever is available first. Thank you for the information though!