Help deciding!!

Greg Beck

WKR
Hey all I need some help in making a decision about a birthday Christmas gift for myself!! Birthday is a week before Christmas. My lovely wife has has given me 3 choices for a gift. A recurve bow, .223 rifle, or a .17 rimfire rifle. I really want all three but not possible!! A little history here. I got into archery about 2 years ago with both a recurve and compound. I had to sell all to pay off some Dr. bills!! I miss it a lot. I have a .270 and a 870 .12 ga that I do all my hunting with now. .223 would be for coyotes. I hunt them some but not for pelts so the .270 is fine I tell myself. I would like a .17 for small game and plinking. I live in the country but not in a place I can shoot a gun cause of neighbors. I can shoot a bow all I want. What should I tell my wife??? Having a real hard time deciding.....!!! HELP!!!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I own a 17hmr, and Personally I would not buy another. Super lite bullet that gets ate up in the wind. I would much rather have a 22mag. I am a compound bow shooter, so I would choose the 223. Very versatile, easy to find ammo, and cheap to shoot!

dotman

WKR
Bow, you already have what you need for shooting except a bow. Easy choice.

Shrek

WKR
I own a 17hmr and I'll never own another one. If I do anything with the 17hmr I have it would be to rebarrel into a 22mag. You don't have a bow and a .223 would be fun so that's a hard choice. Good problem to have :)

lonedave

WKR
Of the three, definitely the recurve. For small game and especially plinking where you can't use a powder burner, you might think about adding a nice air rifle. There are some really good ones out there today. Try here for some ideas.
http://pyramydair.com

Whisky

WKR
I would get the 17hmr, get a Savage threaded barrel model....then I would get a rim fire suppressor for it. Screw the neighbors!

Shooting at pigeons out my dining room window yesterday. And then the steel plate hanging from the apple tree...Suppressed rimfires rock!!

c56de9e93f7d51284d3fb6ed69d71b20.jpg

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would ask for a .223, especially if you don't have one. Not sure if you are looking for a bolt or a semi-automatic, but some of the AR platforms are extremely accurate. AND you'll have one and won't have to suffer through the shortages as soon as Hillary gets elected..........:mad:

Randy

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
I would get the 17hmr, get a Savage threaded barrel model....then I would get a rim fire suppressor for it. Screw the neighbors!

Shooting at pigeons out my dining room window yesterday. And then the steel plate hanging from the apple tree...Suppressed rimfires rock!!

Ha.....looks like fun!! The neighbors are just to close to shoot a centerfire rifle a lot. They shouldn't care about gunshots as we live just across the Snake river from a wildlife refuge that brings steady gunshots during waterfowl season. I live on about a 1.5 acres surrounded by hay ground that doesn't promote setting up and shooting much other than a bow!!

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
I own a 17hmr and I'll never own another one. If I do anything with the 17hmr I have it would be to rebarrel into a 22mag. You don't have a bow and a .223 would be fun so that's a hard choice. Good problem to have :)

What I keep coming back to is the bow or .223!!! I let you all know what happens!!

dotman

WKR

Yeah that's in the budget, a $200 atf fee plus the $300+ for the suppressor :). Not to mention the 4+ month wait and buying a firearm to put a t on.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Bow. You can hunt small game, coyotes, large game, you can plink in your yard,you can shoot it in your house when your wife isn't home. I got away from my longbow the last couple years due to surgeries followed by the wife and I having a baby. I plan on getting back to it.

OP
Greg Beck

Greg Beck

WKR
Update!!! I found myself walking out of Cabelas today with a Ruger American .17 HMR!!!! No bow!!! To dark to shoot when I got home and wont have time tommorrow either. Hopefully on Thurs. Not even sure how I decided????? It just happend!!!! LOL!!

Archery all the way. The Martin Hunter recurve is what I have and I love that thing. It's a great bow for me. There are lots of really excellent bows out there so shoot several to see what feels right to you.

Archery!!