Help evaluate my sleep gear

Shooter28

FNG
Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get your opinions on my potential sleep gear for an upcoming hunt. I’ll be doing an elk hunt in CO, 1st rifle, Oct 16-20. I guess the tent we will be sleeping in does have a small heater to help part of the night. The only sleeping bag I’ve had in the past was a fleece one from Coleman 15+ years ago- hardly something that could be used on a trip like this.

Bag- Mountain Hardwear Alpine. 15 deg. 850 fill. 2lbs. Get a nice discount using expert voice as well.

Pad

WRM

WKR
You considered a quilt at all instead? You can shave some weight.

I froze on a non insulated Klymit but otherwise it was comfortable. That R value is ok, but would be low if you got really cold temps. Xtherm is my go to now.

mlgc20

WKR
The MH Phantom is a very good bag. It's a little on the narrow side. So, if you are over 185 pounds or so, I might look for something a bit wider. Or at the very least, try it as soon as you get it and make sure it's roomy enough.

I find the Klymit pads to be pretty meh. I would much rather have a Thermarest or Exped. The Klymit is fine if you're really budget constrained. Otherwise, I'd look for something that is more inline with the bag your buying, in terms of quality.

WRM

WKR
The MH Phantom is a very good bag. It's a little on the narrow side. So, if you are over 185 pounds or so, I might look for something a bit wider. Or at the very least, try it as soon as you get it and make sure it's roomy enough.

I find the Klymit pads to be pretty meh. I would much rather have a Thermarest or Exped. The Klymit is fine if you're really budget constrained. Otherwise, I'd look for something that is more inline with the bag your buying, in terms of quality.

Mos Def agree on the pad. Can't comment on bag. I use a quilt, thus the reason for the question. If you don't have a weight (yours or the bags) constraint it may be fine for you.

OP
S

Shooter28

FNG
Thanks for the input guys.

We are driving up part way and then hiking out to the unit so weight is a factor to some degree. Won’t be car camping at all.

I’m 6’3, 205lbs so I was looking at the dimensions. I’m actually hoping to get over to REI this weekend and see if they have it in stock or something similar sized to get an idea.

I will look at the Thermarest and Exped pads. What R value should I be looking for?

I had not considered a quilt. Maybe I should tho. Any recommendation?

WRM

WKR
Yeah, your on the big end of the scale. I'm 6 foot and about that weight. Have you slept in that style bag before? Me--I don't likey, at all.

I use an Enlightened Equipment. You'd need a wide and long in whatever you went with. You can PM me if you want more info.

Ouch I just saw the price on that sucker--you definitely need to at least consider a quilt. You'll have plenty of dough for that Xtherm then.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shooter28

FNG
Yea the bag isn’t cheap. My expert voice discount tho knocks off 40% which is a big saver. Never done a mummy bag so this will all be new.

I will look at those quilts. Pm inbound

Rob5589

WKR
I'm 6'2" 230 and always go with the long and wide models on bags and pads. I use a MH 15* bag and Exped pad with a 4.9 value and have been in the high teens, low 20's no problem. I did wear thermals and my puffy, however. Having a heater even part of the night makes a huge difference. As long as you're comfortable in both, the combo looks solid.

jwelders

FNG
Mummy bags remind me of sleeping double in a bunk bed. I'm 5 inches shorter and 10 lbs heavier than you are and that may make a difference. I ended up sacrificing weight for comfort and going with a semi-rectangular bag. It would sure be worth your time to crawl into a few different sizes to know what works for you then look at different bags with those dimensions.

I haven’t tried the bag. It was one I looked at but seemed very narrow so went with something else.
I did try out that pad however. I found it very comfortable and I didn’t slide around on it like some pads.
however it was very cold. You should read up on the new ASTM standards for R value. Using those, the klymit pads are cut in half.
now to be fair I think the main reason the klymit pads say they have the r value they do is they rely on the bag to loft inside the cracks to create warmth. But if you move around a lot, your bag doesn’t loft as much, or gets compressed over time it significantly reduces the warmth of the pad.
I ended up going with the neoair xtherm.

I like that Klymit pad. I dont like the Neoair I had it sounded like I was sleeping on newspaper ever time I moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HuntnPack

WKR
My Current Sleep system is similar to what your looking into:

NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree Sleeping Bag

Exped SynMat UL Winter LW Sleeping Pad

Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow

Seek Outside
Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet
Matty McMat Face - Ground Pad

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sleeping pads are one thing I don't mind carrying extra weight on. Might want to look at the new Sea to Summit Ether Light Xtreme. 4in thick, 6.2 R value with the new system, right around the 2lb mark. You'll sleep well on that. If you sleep bad, you hunt bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mdstrick1

FNG
Cant speak to either specifically, but bag fit is the most important next to fill weight IMO. The phantom seem to have enough fill for the rating, if you where paying full price id get a quilt or Westen Mountainer bag. Thermarest's have my vote, used them for years. but would agree with the newspaper comments and the neo air which i use now isn't the most comfortable but is lite, packable, durable, and has a high r-value.

i also like a bag that is a little long, not to long that its cold, but has room at the foot box so i can throw things at the bottom that i don't want to get too cold. ie. batteries, filter if im using one, etc.

I would look at a Western Mountaineering bag. I was impressed when mine showed up. I got one rated for 25 degrees and was in it at 28 degrees last month. All good and warm so their rating seems pretty accurate to me. YMMV

I have used the Klymit pads with a 20 degree EE quilt for 2 years. The Klymit pad is not very comfortable to me especially using a quilt or side sleeping. Has been very durable though.

Switched to a Nemo Tensor pad. Warmer, more comfy and way better if side sleeping. Did have a durability issue last year but we where in a shit storm. Think a wind pulled stake got it.

Hope this helps.