Help for 2021 trip

So, I'm already working on putting together an elk hunt for 2021. Would love to do 2020, but my daughter will be born in the spring. I figure leaving the wife at home for 12-14 days with an infant probably won't go over well....2021 it is.

I'll preface this with I'm in NW Oklahoma, and am wanting to take 6 guys (best case) the guys I'd probably take (myself included) have never hunted elk before. I figure one hunter, one caller, one on a camera (if possible). Super flexible, but definitely want to focus first on the hunt, 2nd on filming.

I've always considered OTC Colorado, but I got to thinking, I've got plenty of time to plan this, why restrict myself to Colorado right off the bat.

I'm not asking for spots, just suggestions on states. Where can 6 guys go, to have a decent shot at an elk....MAYBE 2, and all get a tag?

TIA

Edit: it's gotta be archery, and timing of the year doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
The reason colorado is usually the best choice for starters is because you can get an otc tag and everyone in your group will be able to get a tag. Colorado also has quite a bit of public lands and the most elk of any state in the U.S. your only other options to get into that soon would be montana or maybe wyoming on a general tag but they are starting to require a point or two to draw, but you have to time to get a point if your waiting until 2021, wherever you end up good luck and have fun

cnelk

WKR
Have you ever filmed a hunt before? Its a real PITA.
Sure it looks sexy and fun on YouTube, but your group better realize what they are getting into.
It really slows the pace down.

Taking photos during the hunt, with a few videos and then putting it all together after the hunt is a nice way to do it.

6 guys is a lot. Especially if everyone plans to hunt/get a shot.
Colorado or Idaho will gladly take your money for license fees.

Like mentioned above, get a Colorado PP in 2020, then look at units with 0/1 PP draw.

Good luck, have fun.

Wapiti1

WKR
You have the right idea for filming, but as cnelk noted, it makes the hunt very different. The cameraman is just that, and he won't get to hunt.

Since you are in NW OK, I would strongly suggest Colorado, and pick a unit you can get to and scout a little. Even one weekend in the unit learning the roads, trails, and general layout will literally add 2-3 days to your trip. Going in blind, even with good computer scouting, takes 2-3 days to get acquainted with the unit and often those days are pretty fruitless. Likely you are within 10 hours of a lot of good CO elk units, so take advantage of that.

2 guys could buzz out after work on Friday, look around Sat and Sun morning, then burn back home. Do that a couple of times, or take a long weekend.

The hunting isn't any different in Idaho, or MT, but you can help yourself by being able to get to your chosen unit and learn more about it first hand.

And you should have 5 buddies that can do the same as schedules allow, assuming they are all local to you.

Jeremy

You can get some good Colorado 1st rifle tags with 0 or 1 points, or even as a leftover. Buy your points this coming spring and hunt a limited entry unit instead of OTC.

Option 2: buy a WY point next year, as well as a MT point, and go to WY if you manage to draw the general tag, and MT if you don't.

Lastly, if Vegas is taking odds on the number of dudes that actually go on this trip I'm setting the over/under at 3.5. Half those dudes are bailing out.

rayporter

WKR
the reality is that getting all 6 into the mountains is just about zero. half will cancel the week before you leave. btdt multiple times.

I once took 2 guys that worked together every day. when they got out of the mountains they did not speak for a year!

SWOHTR

WKR
I’d talk to your wife. Go for one week in 2020, take one friend or go alone.

It’ll be worth it, you won’t fave to wait, and you have 9 months to plan on how to make sure wife and baby are taken care of for a few days. Offer to buy a family member a plane ticket for the week to help your wife.

Basically what I’m saying is you’re doing this wrong. Take care of your family first, then you’ll get to go. It’s not like in 2021 life will magically return to normal. This works for me, and we don’t have any family around for 1600 miles. Plan for 2020 now.

I’d talk to your wife. Go for one week in 2020, take one friend or go alone.

It’ll be worth it, you won’t fave to wait, and you have 9 months to plan on how to make sure wife and baby are taken care of for a few days. Offer to buy a family member a plane ticket for the week to help your wife.

Basically what I’m saying is you’re doing this wrong. Take care of your family first, then you’ll get to go. It’s not like in 2021 life will magically return to normal. This works for me, and we don’t have any family around for 1600 miles. Plan for 2020 now.

I agree with this. Once you have kids, waiting "for the next September" is a great way to miss out on September every year. Go alone or with one person. 6 is a lot and begging for disaster, especially if none of you have hunted together before. Additionally, I would leave out the filming. This is a perfect way to botch a hunt. As others noted above, its a completely different dimension with all the extras that come with it. Kill some elk on your own first, then worry about the filming. In the last 5 years, I have seen so many hunters struggling/arguing over filming equipment/malfunctions etc at trailheads that they miss significant hunting opportunities with lots of mornings/evenings/hours lost.

Keep it simple. It will be the most rewarding and successful. Once you get a handle on everything western hunting entails, you will be able to add hunting partners/filming equipment etc.

SBAHunts

FNG
agree with above. maybe break into 3 teams of 2 and have a competitive contest amongst yourselves

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Can't agree more with what has been said. 6 new elk hunters trying to hunt in the same area and trying to film sounds very challenging. I'd grab just a few folks, forget filming and learn a bunch. If it works out well and you catch the elk hunting bug, plan a bigger trip following.

RMac5

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn’t agree more with the above post. I would try and do it next year solo or with one other hunter. This lets you get some experience for the next hunts. 6 guys is going to be a huge PITA! Elk hunting is already a lot of work, trying to film and coordinate 6 newbs sounds like a nightmare to me.

OP
S
Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I have a lot of thinking to do.

Like others have said, 2, 3 Max on hunters. Elk hunting is really hard. Most guys seriously can’t hack it. I’ve got some great friends I wouldn’t take because they would bitch and moan most of the time. Most folks you don’t want there anyway will bail. I talked to 3 different guys about going this year. Only one ended up going, luckily it was the “right” one, as I don’t think the other two would’ve a) been able to keep up or b) appreciate the experience for what it was.

I’d forget the filming thing.

I’ll say this, after my first General Tag Experience in Montana I’m planning on doing a limited entry Cow Tag in 2021 (can’t hunt in 20 thanks to Uncle Sam.) I feel like I’m letting the cat out of the bag here, but there are some excellent limited entry cow tags with high success rates that can be had with few to no points. I’ll take a limited entry cow hunt where I’m not dealing with the zoo of a General Tag any day of the week.

OP
S
Like others have said, 2, 3 Max on hunters. Elk hunting is really hard. Most guys seriously can’t hack it. I’ve got some great friends I wouldn’t take because they would bitch and moan most of the time. Most folks you don’t want there anyway will bail. I talked to 3 different guys about going this year. Only one ended up going, luckily it was the “right” one, as I don’t think the other two would’ve a) been able to keep up or b) appreciate the experience for what it was.

I’d forget the filming thing.

I’ll say this, after my first General Tag Experience in Montana I’m planning on doing a limited entry Cow Tag in 2021 (can’t hunt in 20 thanks to Uncle Sam.) I feel like I’m letting the cat out of the bag here, but there are some excellent limited entry cow tags with high success rates that can be had with few to no points. I’ll take a limited entry cow hunt where I’m not dealing with the zoo of a General Tag any day of the week.
I know what you mean about bitchy friends.

I went on a 3 day deer hunt last week, with a really good friend of mine....the kind you'd take a bullet for. On managed land his family has owned for 10 years. All he did was bitch. Too cold, too windy, the rain sucks. I'm not seeing any deer.

I, on the other hand, had a great time. Saw some amazing deer, got some really cool video footage and thoroughly enjoyed not being at work.

He definitely got scratched off the list. Besides, he refuses to go to Colorado....says there's no elk on public land. Gotta do a guided hunt if you want to even hear a bugle.

Ain't nobody got time for those negative vibes.