Help for a new Idaho resident...

OOSWLC

FNG
yeah yeah, i'm one of those assholes that moved here recently- but my one saving grace is that i'm from the east coast and not california.

my fiance and i moved to boise in the spring where we don't know anyone at all- we picked boise because she was able to find a job here, and we picked idaho because we want to eat...

which leads me to my request for some guidance...

while hunting access here is crazy compared to what i'm used to at home- the whole process of tags/units/planning out my 2022 hunting calendar has my head spinning....

among other things, i'm a bit confused on the application process... i generally understand the controlled hunt/application deal, but... if i get a general elk or deer tag... how do i even know where i can go vs where i can't?

^^i have a ridiculous amount of total noob questions like that- but more than anything, i would really appreciate being able to connect with someone local-ish who can help me plan the best way to spend my year to maximize my chances of filling the freezer.

rifle, archery, trapping, and fishing- i'm here to take advantage of every opportunity i can. i feel like a kid at christmas being able to get my resident license tomorrow!

As a fellow East Coaster who has hunted in Idaho the last 2 years (elk and mule deer) I am super jealous! There are a bunch of videos you can find online that will help explain it all, but it's really not that difficult. I obviously don't know anything about resident permits/tags or anything like that, but in terms of figuring out the tag system it's fairly simple. I'm sure you could also call/visit your local IDFG office and they would be able to help you.

Good luck!

N.ID7803

WKR
The resident regs are super simple. Just read them and you should be able to comprehend. Idaho is all about opportunity, so things are pretty simple. I look at other states regs and it makes my head spend. You could go directly to F&G office and have them explain it to you, then you get the info from the “horses” mouth.

yeah yeah, i'm one of those assholes that moved here recently- but my one saving grace is that i'm from the east coast and not california.

my fiance and i moved to boise in the spring where we don't know anyone at all- we picked boise because she was able to find a job here, and we picked idaho because we want to eat...

which leads me to my request for some guidance...

while hunting access here is crazy compared to what i'm used to at home- the whole process of tags/units/planning out my 2022 hunting calendar has my head spinning....

among other things, i'm a bit confused on the application process... i generally understand the controlled hunt/application deal, but... if i get a general elk or deer tag... how do i even know where i can go vs where i can't?

^^i have a ridiculous amount of total noob questions like that- but more than anything, i would really appreciate being able to connect with someone local-ish who can help me plan the best way to spend my year to maximize my chances of filling the freezer.

rifle, archery, trapping, and fishing- i'm here to take advantage of every opportunity i can. i feel like a kid at christmas being able to get my resident license tomorrow!
Get one of the mapping apps that show unit outlines. Some unit boundaries are tough to delineate. Some are drainages, some are ridge lines, others are as simple as a highway. Pick a unit and explore as much as possible. Once you pick a spot, it may take several years to pattern animals and get a feel for the area. Jumping all over the state, although fun doesn’t compare to knowing one area well.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Idaho. We moved here two years ago and love it. We were fortunate to fill the freezer both seasons. Like you, we moved from the east and I am still confused by the regs. Like customweld said, mapping apps are crucial. We used gaia and downloaded controlled hunt zones from idfg website. Switching to BaseMap with eastmans addon that gives you this info and some more. When the snow melts we spend as much time as we can in the mountains and there are plenty of places to get lost in. Have fun, this is an Outdoorsmans paradise

SWOHTR

WKR
Basically, you buy a tag for a unit or area you want to hunt. Your elk tag won't be good for anywhere in the entire state. If you get a Panhandle elk tag, you can only hunt the Panhandle units. Then there's the A and B tag. A generally favors archery, with a limited "any weapon" season, and B tag generally favors firearms, with a limited "archery only" season. They used to (or still?) have the resident second tag deal too, where you can pick up a second tag for units at nonres price. Not sure how that has affected tag sales/quotas though.

Also just buy a lifetime license now, then all you have to buy are tags.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
Just so ya know...we dont judge people who move out west not by where they come from but how they act once settled in. And fyi there are way more good ole boy hunters and fishers in Cali than there are people in Idaho. The good Cali people are just outnumbered, unlike Oregon where we are just outnumbered by electoral vote manipulation by a small urban group. We get our share of both types of imports. I'm sure ID is the same.
Enjoy your new hunting grounds!

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just so ya know...we dont judge people who move out west by where they come from but how they act once settled in. And fyi there are way more good ole boy hunters and fishers in Cali than there are people in Idaho. The good Cali people are just outnumbered, unlike Oregon where we are just outnumbered by electoral vote manipulation by a small urban group. We get our share of both types of imports. I'm sure ID is the same.
Enjoy your new hunting grounds!
Fully agree. I'm one of the good old boys. Cal. via Wisconsin. Lots of good people in many states.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Get in your rig every weekend and drive around the state. Decide which areas “look fun” and start exploring.

When it comes to tags, the key thing to understand is Idaho calls the best lottery hunts “controlled” hunts which are typically the best because the numbers of hunters are limited and the season dates are more intriguing. There are no points. Every year is random. You should put in for controlled hunt every year no matter what. If you don’t draw, then you look at the general season hunts, pick one and then go hunt.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OOSWLC

OOSWLC

FNG
thank you to everyone who PM'd or replied!! i'm very glad i decided to post, the information here has been very helpful and really connected some dots for me!