help for shooting from field positions

mbwa

FNG
Can anyone recommend some resources for learning to shoot better from field positions (standing, kneeling, sitting)? Seems like there are a lot of opinions out there, and it's hard to know where to start. I feel very confident shooting off something solid, but otherwise my shooting is not good at all. I recently bought a bolt action .22 and am trying to put a ton of rounds through it, but I don't want to develop bad habits. Any videos, articles, or book suggestions would be appreciated.

Bsnyder

WKR
That drill is a ton of fun! Will make you a better shooter. I’ll have to go try to find that thread and post it. I believe that’s the best way to go.

jpretle

FNG
Learning how to use a sling in position shooting will go a long way to advancing shooting in the field. It basically comes down to bone support, from the rifle to the ground, w/ strategic use of the sling.
Taking up 3 and 4 position smallbore shooting competition can get you there.

Skee7533

FNG
Do a little research on proper shooting positions if you need too, plenty of good information online but the best advice would be practice, practice, and practice some more. Even shooting a pellet gun in the back yard can be a great help.

Absolutely work the drill previously mentioned. Start with your 22. From those same positions shoot your various centerfires. Practice is important but so is thinking things through ahead of time. How would you use X as a rest and shoot off of it? This is where your 22 further earns its keep.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Get a copy of The Art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper. Great resource on field positions and sling usage, among other things. Certainly not the only resource, but a good one. Not a huge book, and lots of pics. Easy to understand.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Dry fire is also another valuable tool. Pay attention to sight picture at the moment the trigger breaks and call the "shots." It can be done in your house, using something small as a "target" (such as the screw on an electrical outlet). Tweak your position and play with techniques until you find what gives you the most stable sight picture.

Blaw

WKR
Dry fire is also another valuable tool. Pay attention to sight picture at the moment the trigger breaks and call the "shots." It can be done in your house, using something small as a "target" (such as the screw on an electrical outlet). Tweak your position and play with techniques until you find what gives you the most stable sight picture.

for a second i thought you said " a screw in an electrical outlet"

:ROFLMAO:

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Are you too old to join the Marine Corps?

Seriously though, the book by Jeff Cooper mentioned above is excellent. It is absolutely the top written source of instruction that I would recommend you seek out.

The Gun Digest Shooters Guide to Marksmanship was also surprisingly informative and has a whole separate chapter for each of the main field shooting positions.

Both of the above books talk about sling use and various other techniques to shoot well in the field.

I really recommend you look up the Langlois Rhodesian sling. It’s my favorite field shooting type sling. I got the nylon version made by The Wilderness.