Help: How to secure fluid head to tripod: Slik CF 634. No set screw?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 634 and was glad to feel how lightweight it was compared to my aluminum Manfrotto (2 vs 5.5lbs).

I haven't picked up any new heads for it so I put my Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head on it too film my daughter's basketball game. Immediately I noticed there is no way to lock the head onto the tripod base. The base on the tripod center post is also smaller in diameter than that of the Manfrotto. My 701 fluid head is quite stiff and I feared that it would break loose the head when panning to the left. Sure enough, it did.

There is a small hole in the base on the tripod. Is that meant for some kind of locking pin that would be on the head that's being attached? I pulled the rubber cover down and looked underneath and saw that there is no set screw in there.

What kind of head would I be looking for then?

In the pictures below, there is a photo of a Manfrotto head. Notice the angled scalloping underneath that is meant for the set screw.

PXL_20220127_164350952.jpgPXL_20220127_164404888.jpg

You should have no issues putting any head on that tripod. Call me Monday at 516-217-1000, we are closed today

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Joel. I should be clear that I did not buy the tripod from you/Camera Land, but used. Just trying to figure it out.

MattB

WKR
If that hole is threaded, take it to the hardware store and find a bolt that fits it. Problem solved.

nobody

WKR
Here's the cheap solution that my genius friend came up with. I was trying to secure a Slik SVH-501 head onto a Vortex Summit Carbon Tripod and any time I panned left it would unscrew the head. The vortex 2 way pan head had a set screw securing it to the tripod but the Slik head doesn't. I tried blue loctite, ham-handing it, and clear nail polish. I was about to break out the red loctite, and was whining to my buddy, and he gave me a simple and cheap idea to tighten everything up that cost me about 60 cents. I went to our local hardware store and bought a 1/16" thick rubber fender washer. I slipped it over the screw, screwed the head down as tight as my bare hands could get it, and boom, no more moving! And I can disassemble it if I ever need to in about 2.5 seconds. Give it a shot, hopefully this helps!

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
If that hole is threaded, take it to the hardware store and find a bolt that fits it. Problem solved.
It doesn't go all the way through. If it did, yes, a set screw like my manfrotto has would be an easy fix.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the cheap solution that my genius friend came up with. I was trying to secure a Slik SVH-501 head onto a Vortex Summit Carbon Tripod and any time I panned left it would unscrew the head. The vortex 2 way pan head had a set screw securing it to the tripod but the Slik head doesn't. I tried blue loctite, ham-handing it, and clear nail polish. I was about to break out the red loctite, and was whining to my buddy, and he gave me a simple and cheap idea to tighten everything up that cost me about 60 cents. I went to our local hardware store and bought a 1/16" thick rubber fender washer. I slipped it over the screw, screwed the head down as tight as my bare hands could get it, and boom, no more moving! And I can disassemble it if I ever need to in about 2.5 seconds. Give it a shot, hopefully this helps!
In will try it. I've used the "rubber fender washer trick" to secure something else before. Can't recall what it was, tho!