Help! I keep missing shots lately!

Tod osier

WKR
Do you have a shot process you go through in your head before you shoot archery wise? I started using back tension and just having a 5 step process in my head last year. Helped me a lot with buck fever and not punching the trigger.

One that works for me is "don't miss, don't f'n miss, don't be a pussy, squeeze the f'n trigger, watch where you will impact"

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
One that works for me is "don't miss, don't f'n miss, don't be a pussy, squeeze the f'n trigger, watch where you will impact"
Whatever works man. I was always going brain dead when it came to shooting so I had to come up with something.

I went years with one shot kills. Then for a bit the first shot turned into a whiff. I was rushing. A lot of dry firing helped get it figured out. Thankfully the last couple years were back to normal. Just remember to focus and as Gordon Graham would say "slow down"

NB7

WKR
Ya know, not all braves went on the buffalo hunt.
Some gathered mushrooms or went fishing....

NB7

WKR
Only kidding, it’s what I always tell my family or friends when they’re in a slump.

Lot’s of good advice on here though. For firearms, do one-shot dry firing aiming at pictures of deer. This helped someone I know.

For archery, do more one-shot practicing. I think it’s easier to focus on a shot process when it’s only one shot at a time. Take a shot, come back 10 minutes later for another.

For both, concentrate on the steps in the process as you go.

Btaylor

WKR
It all comes down to being 100% in control of the shot and absolute focus on breaking the shot not aiming. A clean shot break is always the last step and most important regardless is the weapon. Lots of folks get hung up on the aim though and focus their control on that part of the shot and have no or little control over the shot break process.

Follow through.
I mentored a friend with the same symptoms. Turned out to be a simple fix.
He would be way too quick to - See if he made the shot, and move his weapon before he completed the process. Don't forget to Follow through.
In archery, try and watch the arrow in flight through your sights.

Maybe your putting too much pressure on yourself to kill the animal. Has anything changed with your hunting situation? Less time to hunt? New hunting buddies? Your not new to this so whats changed?

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Maybe your putting too much pressure on yourself to kill the animal. Has anything changed with your hunting situation? Less time to hunt? New hunting buddies? Your not new to this so whats changed?
It might be too much pressure. I’ve taken many of the responses on this thread and tied to incorporate them, and I think it’s helped.