Help!!!! ISO Best Ultralight Solo Bckpacking Tent for hunting

Scrappy

WKR
I’m in the same boat, and have been bouncing the trade offs of a freestanding floored tent (at 1.5-2# heavier) than the REI.
I know I’m pitch-challenged when it comes to guy lines, and being in AZ there’s a lot of places freestanding comes in handy, and a lot of critters early season I don’t want to be waking up with so I’m leaning floored for sure.
I’ve been flopping between the MSR Elixir and something like the REI you posted.
I don’t know if your planning on spiking or through camping.
thanks for posting, I know as a newer member here I tried searching and am still fishing around.
Look at my post above yours. You can thank me later to.

I can’t recommend the Seek Outside tents enough. I picked up the Silex this past year which would fit your needs perfectly. It is an absolutely awesome one man tent that you can fit your gear in and sit up in. It comes in at only 1lb 5 ounces for under $200. If you use trekking poles this is a very nice option. Nicer than a tarp especially in wind and weather. If you want to go bigger or have an option for more people they have a lot of options. LBO up to the cimmeron. I also have the cimmeron which is also very light at just over 3 lbs but fits up to 4 so if you go with someone the weight split is similar to the silex and this thing is luxurious for one. Lots of options between those two.

silex 1.5 man with sides open - they close to the ground.
1589208503573.jpeg

cimmeron 4 man - with half nest option - dog not included
1589208545012.jpeg

With or without a nest? If you are in a place with snakes, rodents, scorpions, fliers and other unwanted guests...or if you are gonna be in wet weather than a floorless, single wall shelter may not be ideal.

With or without a nest? If you are in a place with snakes, rodents, scorpions, fliers and other unwanted guests...or if you are gonna be in wet weather than a floorless, single wall shelter may not be ideal.

Very good point for a floorless. Most SO tents have options for nests but it does come at a weight penalty. I have one for the wife in the cimmeron and it also helps keep the dog off our sleeping bags. But going solo I use a borah bivy which doubles over to keep the bugs out as well as the dirt. It’s so light weight I just keep it all contained and it is not really a weight penalty when factoring the weight savings on the floorless tent. I find it very nice when climbing in with wet or dirty cloths to help keep my sleep system clean and dry before I crawl in. Anything muddy or wet doesn’t get the floor of a tent tent wet/dirty and you can hang it to let it drip dry away from your bag if weather isn’t ideal

Study these and pick the best one that fits your needs. You can thank me later.

I 2nd this. Look at the StratoSpire 1 which is very similar to the REI one you are looking at. The SS1 is has really cool tension lock corners that make it tighter than most trekking pole tents. this bad boy is money in stormy windy conditions.

Oh what a bummer 🙁
I don’t know how many people were employed by them, but sorry for the loss of their jobs.

Well, i'm not sure if jobs were lost as basically they stopped using their Seattle sew shop. Again, I am not positive, but from understanding he contracted his sew shop, so i'm sure his actual employees didn't change.

Superdoo

WKR
That Durston is an interesting design. Silex is 4 inches taller, so taller folks will need to keep that in mind.

That Durston is an interesting design. Silex is 4 inches taller, so taller folks will need to keep that in mind.

Fly is 3" taller on the Silex, and 6 inches taller than the inner on the XMid. XMid has 14 more square feet of total space. Same weight fly, but with zippers on the XMid. Silex nest is long and thin (45 x 112). XMid nest is fat and moderately long (50 x 90). So for really tall people, maybe Silex is a winner? Of course 90" is 7.5 feet!

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
My brother and I use the Durston 1 man tents and love them. Lots of room for gear in the vestibule doorways.

In a pinch, you can set just the fly (skip the screen/floor) and tightly fit two guys under the tarp laying down facing opposite directions.

JL

These are made here, are basically improved versions of Henry's Tarptents (SS1 & 2) and comparable, as well as under your weight limit. https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-1p
Spacious one man shelter.

View attachment 180341

TBHasler

WKR

Study these and pick the best one that fits your needs. You can thank me later.

I’d suggest this as well. I use a stratospire I when I need/want a tub. It’s just over 2 lbs and design is bombproof. Not freestanding but incredibly sturdy in winds and rain/snow/ice. Vestibules are huge for a 1 man tent. Their line up is solid with multiple other designs I wouldn’t hesitate to buy.