Help!!!! ISO Best Ultralight Solo Bckpacking Tent for hunting

Study these and pick the best one that fits your needs. You can thank me later.

Those look like nice tents. Unfortunately don’t think my pad will fit in there. I’m 6’1” and have the longer 78” pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ULTRALIGHT? You can run the ZPacks Pocket Tarp with doors and a 6 Moons Serenity NetTent nest. Total weight is 16.8 oz including stakes. I run the one on the left in the photo, but with the nest (not shown). 9 feet long and plenty wide for a bivy or wide pad, and gear.

6 (six) ounces with stakes if you don't run a nest, or 8 oz if you run their awesome carbon pole instead of a trekking pole.

20200221_180906.jpg
20200211_104508.jpg
DeschutesBundle2020Open_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
ULTRALIGHT? You can run the ZPacks Pocket Tarp with doors and a 6 Moons Serenity NetTent nest. Total weight is 16.8 oz including stakes.

SIX ounces with stakes if you don't run a nest, or 8 oz if you run their pole instead of a trekking pole.

View attachment 180552

Are you sure? The Serenity is 11 oz. by itself, not including any lines or stakes.

Are you sure? The Serenity is 11 oz. by itself, not including any lines or stakes.

Pocket Tarp is 5.2 oz, including lines (yep). Weighed on my scale, total weight with stakes, bag, and lines is 18.1 oz. With ultralight stakes and no bag its just under 17 oz.

Of course with the nest, the PocketTarp is approaching ZPacks Duplex territory, which is a far better setup and only a couple ounces more. At 5.2 oz including tie outs, PocketTarp shines when you don't need a nest.

Of course with the nest, the PocketTarp is approaching ZPacks Duplex territory, which is a far better setup and only a couple ounces more. At 5.2 oz including tie outs, PocketTarp shines when you don't need a nest.

Yeah, no doubt, and for decent weather nights, you’d probably be hard pressed to beat it, I just don’t think I could trust .55 DCF for anything but mild conditions.

Yeah, no doubt, and for decent weather nights, you’d probably be hard pressed to beat it, I just don’t think I could trust .55 DCF for anything but mild conditions.

5X the waterproof rating and 5X tear strength of 30D ripstop. It will hold up to whatever you throw at it. But maybe you know something that I don't. You definitely have more experience than I do for modern camping. :)

Dyneema is the strongest fiber in the world.

In very high winds you would definitely need rocks on your stakes and slip knots in your tie outs. The design puts a lot of tension on the front and rear tie out, especially the front. So it tends to pull stakes out if the ground isn't really tight holding.

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience with the lighter weight DCF material, but Mountain Laurel Designs advertises their ultra lightweight (.5 DCF), shelters for only three season use, and doesn’t warrantee them. I figure they have much more experience with DCF than I do for sure.

Available in SilNylon, .75 DCF (Dyneema Composite Fabric A.K.A. Cuben Fiber) and .5 DCF (Dyneema Composite Fabric A.K.A. Cuben Fiber) -1oz/30gm. The .5 DCF SoloMid is the ‘Super UltraLight’ version, and while it saves weight, it is not recommended for 4-season use, as it is not as strong or as durable as the other materials. .5 DCF Shelters are considered custom, and there is no warranty on this fabric option. If you need a true 4-Season Pyramid for high wind or snow load, pick the .75 DCF or SilNyon SoloMid!

Last edited:
Tear strength for Zpacks .55 Dyneema is 63 lbf/in. The .75 is 104. But either are much stronger than most tents.
For example, Hillleberg's Black 3 season tents have tear strength of 40 lbs and their red is 26.5. Both are rated by Hilleberg as four season tents. Of course Dyneema isn't flexible, so maybe subject to catastrophic failure at sustained loads or when cold. I don't think any of the Dyneema tents are good in snow. But I think most can handle wind quite well, if a bit noisily.

I'll ask the Zpacks folks what they recommend for the little PocketTarp.

Last edited:
From the inventor/manufacturer of the pocket tarp:

Good morning Mike,

I've literally never seen DCF tear in the wind. I'm not sure what the upper limit is, but something else will break first. For example your stakes will rip out of the ground or your trekking pole will collapse.

If your pole is sturdy and your stakes are anchored with heavy rocks the tarp will stay up.

You will get some rain spray around the perimeter (which you can move away from), and the material will buffet inward a bit with the gusts. It can be a fun night but you'll be fine.

I did the Continental Divide trail with the first DCF Hexamid in 2009 (pretty much the same design as the current Pocket tarp except with screen and no storm doors). It made it through hail, snow, big wind storms and anything the Rockies could throw at it for 5 months. Many others have done the same.

Best Regards,
Joe Valesko
Owner / Founder
email_spacer.png
email_spacer.png
email_spacer.png

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve had our .8 Dyneema in a few big snows of 8-12 .

Some people haven’t done enough extreme weather testing . It has a high tear strength and we use a heavy duty version but subject it to enough abuse and you can still develop problems . They don’t propagate far but you can in enough weather

I’ve had our .8 Dyneema in a few big snows of 8-12 .

Some people haven’t done enough extreme weather testing . It has a high tear strength and we use a heavy duty version but subject it to enough abuse and you can still develop problems . They don’t propagate far but you can in enough weather

True enough. Thankfully Zpacks Duplex is by far the most tested dyneema through hiker tent in history. Has more miles than probably all other dyneema products combined (that is a guess, based on the popularity of this tent with through hikers). 0.55 has worked perfectly well for Zpacks for many years.

CO-AJ

WKR
I recommend SO. Just bought a Cimarron, hopefully it will deliver in the next few weeks. The other brand I like is the Tarptent.